CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Riding 2 Up (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/riding-2-up-119470/)

meggers 12-18-2010 02:47 PM

Riding 2 Up

Anyone have any interesting stories from times when you rode a passenger on your bike?

jp_greenville13 12-18-2010 04:28 PM

It's good to know your passenger. But there are times when you'll be riding with someone new. Couple of simple rules I have.

1.Wait for my que to mount/dismount
2.Stay with me and NOT the bike (nothing worse than trying to ride with a body who leans the opposite way you do)
3. No gear-No ride. If you're getting on my bike you'd better be wearing footwear that covers your feet, jeans, leather/textile jacket, and a helmet that fits-Minimum

A couple of things to remember when riding with a passenger.
1. It takes longer to stop-plan accordingly
2. It DOESN'T take that much longer to go. But it DOES make your front end a WHOLE lot lighter and it WILL come up under hard acceleration.
3. Your life is not the only one in your hands.

As far as interesting stories... Nothing really out of the ordinary. But you might enjoy my "thousand mile ride" thread :)

revilingfool 12-23-2010 02:07 AM

well....so this one time a gave this chick i only knew for like 30mins a ride back from this place. I revved my engine under a bridge to listen to my baby and to my dismay 3 cops were posted up a 100 yards away. shoulda been a no biggie i was going well under the speed limit. but 3 in the morning two people on a rocket they thought otherwise....

I was about to crest this huge hill and saw lights flash on at the bottom of the hill, got over the top and pinned it to win it and dipped to a side street and got my bike to a buddies house. girl got off the back and was freaking out sayin like wtf where are we what are you doing... haha i was like B zip it were freaking on the lamb hah we got to make it back to your car.

anyway, they pulled over my buddy who was following us cause he went over the double yellow. i got away and the girl still doesnt even understand

1. no flip flops
2. no bikinis
3. dont dump them off the back
4. 1st gear = not optional

sparkman 12-24-2010 07:47 PM

I bought an 1100 Suzuki back in '82. Couple weeks later I took my new girlfriend for her first motorcycle ride. Came to an intersection, making a right hand turn noticed that even though I was leaning further and further bike just wasn't turning like it should. So now, footpeg scraping the pavement, I'm thinking,"WTF?" About that time I feel a hand on my left shoulder. It's her right hand, she's sitting straight up on the side of my seat looking at me with those OMFG eyes. We barely avoided hitting the cars that were in line on the street we were turning onto. I pulled over and cussed her ass up one side and down the other, threatened to make her walk the 10 miles back to her house, then reminded her of the little discussion about leaning with me that we had before the ride started.

A couple months later I'm riding from Maryland down to Florida to visit the same girlfriend. I'd left after getting off work, and around midnight stopped in a truck stop for fuel and to grab a bite. This old guy sits at the counter next to me and strikes up a conversation about the bike he used to ride back in the day. After a bit he asks where I'm headed, and upon hearing I'm on my way to Florida he tells me so is he, going to spend some time with his daughter. Problem is, he's trying, without much luck, to bum a ride from the truckers. I told him "I've got an extra helmet strapped on the bike, I can get you as far as Jacksonville." I was quite surprised when he said yes to my offer.
We go out to my bike and I give him the rundown, "Hold onto my jacket, lean with me if I'm leaning, grip the bike with your knees, etc..." I hand him my spare Bell full face helmet, "Put this on", and proceed to don my own helmet and gloves. I hear a muffled "This don't seem right" and when I turn to look at him he's got the helmet on backwards! I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Got the helmet straightened out, we head for the highway. Had to wait for a couple cars to go by before pulling onto the main road. When I hit the gas to pull out I felt something hit both of my armpits. Another "WTF" moment. I look over my shoulder to discover it's his feet in my armpits, his head is about to drag the ground behind us because he forgot that bit about "hold my jacket, grip with your knees". I reached back and grabbed his jacket and hauled him back to an upright position.
About 10 miles down the road I'm wondering why my bike is wanting to run off the road. When I look back I see Pops is fast asleep and about to fall off. Next exit I had to drop him off at a gas station and wish him luck finding a ride.

revilingfool 12-24-2010 09:57 PM

haha sparkman those are classic

jp_greenville13 12-24-2010 11:14 PM

***** sparkman. That is some of the funniest sh*t I've ever read. Wtf really? lol. Sleeping? hahahaha

meggers 12-26-2010 03:29 AM

I rode my bf on the back of my bike, but it was only around the parking lot at the beach. He doesn't make a very good passenger. I need some anorexic chicks or some kids that have been on bikes before. lol

CBRclassic 12-26-2010 05:13 AM

Managed to throw my misses off near off the back , until her helmet hit the road , screaming I hit the rears and that threw her back up onto the bike ....

I got quite a lecture over that near disaster !!!

I had a very good mate go completely over, when I was doing , or more to the point, trying to do a wheelie and he totally left the bike , somersaulting off the back and doing a nice face plant at about 30MPH !! ...As much as he was a bit surprised , he took it quite well .... LOL

Many years ago travelling along a very long boring stretch of road called the " " Nullabor plains Hwy" (a 500klm+ stretch of near dead straight road) where I managed to fall assleep at over 200klms per hr ... my misses was asleep as well at the time on the back and it was only for my friend behind us that saw me drifting off the road that came screaming up alongside and thumped my arm to wake me up , that I am prolly even hear today ...!!

I spose I must have carried pillions for way more than 300,000 klms over the years ...

Carrying passengers comes with some responsibility and way back then , we were not that responsible hey !! ....lol

Tawny529 01-05-2011 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic (Post 999349)
Many years ago travelling along a very long boring stretch of road called the " " Nullabor plains Hwy" (a 500klm+ stretch of near dead straight road)

Is that where they filmed the 1st Mad Max movie?! Its my fav! Lol I just know they did it in Australia. Hehe

And b4 i got my bike, i used to ride passenger with my b/f for months. On long rides, especially straight highways in the country, i would nod off for a lil bit. But he had an '01 TLR 1000, so that VTwin was like a lullaby! haha But i never fully fell asleep, just kinda chillin! ;)

CBRclassic 01-07-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tawny529 (Post 1001872)
Is that where they filmed the 1st Mad Max movie?! Its my fav! Lol I just know they did it in Australia. Hehe

! ;)

Yup .... it was in that area of the big arse desert that we call the northern deserts (3 States cover that area ) .... a bloody huge arse area that has quite allot of very open , very dry , extremely hot , and very remote sections of road where that type of thing can be filmed any day of the week ....:icon_wink: