Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Question about riding 2 up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
For stops she can reach around and put her hands on
Woaaah Jim, I don't think the forum wants to hear what you guys do at "stops"

Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
Woaaah Jim, I don't think the forum wants to hear what you guys do at "stops"

hahahaha, way to edit my comment to take it out of context!!!

I see you are from NO VA, my daughter lives in Warrenton. May be taking a ride down there on the bike this summer.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM

hahahaha, way to edit my comment to take it out of context!!!

I see you are from NO VA, my daughter lives in Warrenton. May be taking a ride down there on the bike this summer.
Haha, it's been a long Friday at work, had to lighten things up a bit. Let me know if you make it down sometime, plenty of good riding once you get outside the DC metro area.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
Haha, it's been a long Friday at work, had to lighten things up a bit. Let me know if you make it down sometime, plenty of good riding once you get outside the DC metro area.

It's cool, I thought it was hilarious!!

Anyway, when I know if I will be down that way, I will let you know. Been coming to that area for the last 8 years. Between Springfield and now Warrenton. I like the area and would love to go riding out there. Much nicer roads than PA, that's for sure!!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM

OK, so here is my problem. I have a 96 900RR, my wife is 4'11", 90 lbs. Having her on the back isn't the problem, problem is comfort for her. The way I am leaned over on the bike makes it hard for her to even be remotely comfortable. I move back as far in my seat as I comfortably can, but she is still uncomfortable. For stops she can reach around and put her hands on the tank to brace herself, but on straights, she complains about her back, and just plain discomfort.

Any suggestions for making it a more comfortable ride? On straights, I try to sit up as much as possible for her to be able to sit up right, but it just doesn't work too well. I want to ride more with her, but if it doesn't get better, she is not going to want to ride. I get enough alone time, but every once in a while it's nice to go out with the missus. I know it might be a different situation for most of you guys, as my wife is very petite.
If you don't do anything to surprise her like jump on the gas or slam on the brakes, she can sit upright to maintain good posture and help her back. I've had some gals ride with me who were very comfortable on a bike and didn't even hold on. If you are smooth on the throttle there is no need for her to hold on. If you do plan on doing anything fast though, give her a heads else she falls off...

However, if you and her like to ride fast and aggressive, she doesn't have much of a choice. She has to lean over with you and hold on. The only advice I can offer at that point is to tell her to flex her back muscles as to keep as much of a good posture as possible. When she leans over to hold on, she should be bending at the hips, not the mid or upper back. Her back should be straight at all times.

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my gf first rode on the back of my CBR600F4 (much more comfortable probably) she had the same problem.
Leaning over to wrap around me was too uncomfortable and her back would hurt after a bit. After a few rides she became more confident and didn't Koala bear as much.

I pretty much always carry a back pack which I would turn around so she could hold onto the straps instead of leaning over to hold me but on straights she just sits up and puts her hands on my hips. This way I can feel where she is and she can grab on quickly if needed.

I haven't tried it yet because she hasn't been a passenger for a bit but there is this cheap product you can get. Oxford calles it the Oxford rider pillion grips but several companies make then (you could also Google passenger love handles. Pillion riding belt etc.)

You could give it a try.

Fabricating a removable backrest is also something to consider on longer trips (I'm going to get a top box with a backrest because I don't have a car).

Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
When my gf first rode on the back of my CBR600F4 (much more comfortable probably) she had the same problem.
Leaning over to wrap around me was too uncomfortable and her back would hurt after a bit. After a few rides she became more confident and didn't Koala bear as much.

I pretty much always carry a back pack which I would turn around so she could hold onto the straps instead of leaning over to hold me but on straights she just sits up and puts her hands on my hips. This way I can feel where she is and she can grab on quickly if needed.

I haven't tried it yet because she hasn't been a passenger for a bit but there is this cheap product you can get. Oxford calles it the Oxford rider pillion grips but several companies make then (you could also Google passenger love handles. Pillion riding belt etc.)

You could give it a try.

Fabricating a removable backrest is also something to consider on longer trips (I'm going to get a top box with a backrest because I don't have a car).
Right after I posted the last time in this thread, I actually saw this. Thanks for posting it though. This is going to be a serious consideration. I may use the back pack idea also. Thanks a lot for posting that and reminding me!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right after I posted the last time in this thread, I actually saw this. Thanks for posting it though. This is going to be a serious consideration. I may use the back pack idea also. Thanks a lot for posting that and reminding me!!!
No problem Jim,

Just make sure that the backpack doesn't have any flimsy plastic strap adjusters.

The passenger grips are also quite cheap so I would go for that!

Another good idea is to get this anti slip cover for the pillion. The company that makes them is called Triboseat. They are only like 10/15 dollars. You can see the one on my F4 in the attachments.

Attached Thumbnails Question about riding 2 up?-triboseat01.jpg   Question about riding 2 up?-triboseat11.jpg   Question about riding 2 up?-triboseat2.jpg  

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 04-03-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM

sounds like she should get a bike my gf was complaining about that too so she just went and bought one ... shes alot happier now

Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I was a back seat rider before I got mine. but maybe because I have abs and I will use it to hold my body, it never been a problem leaning forward. I wore gloves and had my hand on the tank and kept my weight off him. If she has problem being a back set rider on our bike, she will get problem riding suportbike because it has the same body lean. Yea, maybe get a cruiser type to ride together??