Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Pushing the mental barrier

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

One thing that helped me learn to go further was make sure you get your body off the saddle and in the turn more. It lowers the force your tires need to corner, so you can go faster and lean even more. I suggest checking any corners before you practice, especially for traffic and gravel. Also wear your riding leathers because sometimes when you on the edge the edge pushes back.

Attached Thumbnails Pushing the mental barrier-10dsaki.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Track work is all very well and good , but .........
If we are trying to stay alive at a good pace on public roads , there ain't no substitute for hrs in the saddle on the twisties to clear the mind and push a few limits ...
<SNIP>
As I said track work is great , but if you take what you learn from a track and apply it to a public road and car on the side road or the sand on the corner are added to the mix , your track lean't limits may just get you when you least expect it and cause you and your perfected track skills to wind up in the emergency dept at the hospital......
Well, thats what I figure too, Track work is great for experimenting in relative safety, but, you cant forget that you're practicing in "utopia"...
the track is good and pretty much bump free, no gravel, no sand, no oil spills, etc...
The road isn't like that, and we do most of our riding in the road.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
Well, thats what I figure too, Track work is great for experimenting in relative safety, but, you cant forget that you're practicing in "utopia"...
the track is good and pretty much bump free, no gravel, no sand, no oil spills, etc...
The road isn't like that, and we do most of our riding in the road.
which is exactly why you don't push your limits on the street. You push limits in a safer environment, then when you have raised your bar, your street riding is that much better, and you won't even feel the need to push too hard on the street.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yer , don't we just wish that was the case more often than not ?? but in reality most of the bad crashed on the roads are due to going too hard or fast in the wrong place one way or the other ...

Going only quick on the track is a nice plan thou
Dunno, I increased my skill 10 fold after just 1 track day, and now I can't even get close to that limit on the street without feeling completely uncomfortable because of how much faster I am moving.

I am not saying I still don't ride fast on the street, but fast isn't the full definition of danger. You are in more danger by pushing you or your bike to its limit. Because of my better leaning technique, I can now (just an example) hit a tight curve doing 80mph not even full lean, where as before I would be pushing my limit at 65mph. I feel safer now doing 80, than 65 before track experience. I don't just feel safer, its a fact, I am safer. I am not in the danger zone, if there is a pile of gravel in the street, I still have the ability to lean in further or avoid it or brake properly etc, where before track experience, I may have wrecked because I was at my limit already.

The sad part about all of this, is when you get good at track speeds, the street is boring. There is no more thrill or adrenaline, its more about cruising at that point.