Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Pushing the mental barrier

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats how we leave the driveway out here in the sticks across 95 Sprock, hah. I actually never broke out of that way of thinking untill I came into a corner to hot and said to myself well I sort of have to, ever since I've felt much better on the bike.

There is once corner with a mailbox and I'll be set up perfect but once i see it sticking out so far my body gets all tense and I have to force myself to not think about it. I don't even know why its not like I'm even close to it haha.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 AM

+1 on learning at the track. Controlled environment with instructors. Knowing you can do it in an emergency is what counts. I never routinely drag knee on the street. Too many unknowns for safety - it's an "emergency" procedure.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 AM

Going into a track out here is pretty damn expensive, and basically there are no instructors to speak of... just track days. and I'd rather take my chances on the street than be in the same track with all those foolish adrenaline junkies with more money than sense. the street is safer.

Ill have a read up on the twist of the wrist, but I figure its like fubbzie says... (just sort of have to...)
BTW, maybe you just dont like mailboxes mate, I have the same thing with clowns lol.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Meh I won't have to worry about it next year... come winter the plow will relocate it for me and the new people moving in will learn. I do plan on taking a track day tho sometime next year, I've herd there are some things you pick up there that could save you *** someday so expensive but fun.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randyjoy
+1 on learning at the track. Controlled environment with instructors. Knowing you can do it in an emergency is what counts. I never routinely drag knee on the street. Too many unknowns for safety - it's an "emergency" procedure.
Just lettin ya know I caught that

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by fubbzie
...I do plan on taking a track day tho sometime next year, I've herd there are some things you pick up there that could save you *** someday so expensive but fun.
I "AM" interested in going to one of the California Superbike School's Day. I think they stop by every year. Im sure I could learn a lot off that.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
I've heard this described as your body knowing its doing something dangerous, and trying to take over the situation without you ordering it to...

Imagine you're about to tackle that corner you know so well, and you know that its good for a knee down, but you simply cant get yourself out of that comfort zone in your lean...

How do you push that mental barrier keeping you from raging through that corner knee down and carvin it?
Are you tackling a street corner? One with guard rails and cars and trees and fun stuff to run into when you mess up? Then your brain is doing its job.

Get a bike with respectable suspension, get on a track, and practice your ***** off. 1 step at a time is how you do it. Every lap you do, you say, ok that one was easy, push a little harder. If you increase your pushing by very small increments, then you will learn and be fine. Having a better rider to follow helps too.

The point is, learn in a safer environment. Its hard to do in on the street... too much can go wrong. I still have never got a knee down on the street, I refuse to push that hard in such a chaotic environment. It's just dumb.

Last edited by Dissevered; 10-14-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
Going into a track out here is pretty damn expensive, and basically there are no instructors to speak of... just track days. and I'd rather take my chances on the street than be in the same track with all those foolish adrenaline junkies with more money than sense. the street is safer.

Ill have a read up on the twist of the wrist, but I figure its like fubbzie says... (just sort of have to...)
BTW, maybe you just dont like mailboxes mate, I have the same thing with clowns lol.
Track days are typically split into 3 groups, beginner/intermediate/advanced. You won't be in a group with people buzzing all around you trying to kill you. Work at your level with others at your level. It is very controlled. If you do your research or talk to a track guy in your area, he should be able to tell you which track day groups are the most professional. 1 track day will increase your abilities the same as 10 years on the street.

The street is never safer, EVER. So far on the track I have seen around 20 people wreck. Every one of them walked away, maybe a bruise or 2, but nothing serious at all. They all went home that night. I've only seen 2 people wreck on the street. One had to get reconstructive knee surgery, and the other a few nights in the hospital because of severe road rash.

Track days are expensive, but hospital bills far out weigh that. You are gambling... I used to do it too. 1 day at the track though and you will be hooked. You wont even care about riding on the street anymore because it is so bland and unsafe, and what you think is fast now, will be child's play, because you will be that much better.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you want to do it "Proper" we're all right. Ideally you want to:
  1. Study the theory from good sources, like Keith Code, before attempting it
  2. Learn the mechanics in a controlled environment, like a track, so you can focus on doing it right
  3. Practice and reinforce the skills in real world situations, like twisties and freeway clovers

I'm not saying you should be draggin knees around City Hall in Center City. But skills not used regularly atrophy. And few can spend every day at the track

Quick Reply: Pushing the mental barrier