CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Pushing the mental barrier (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/pushing-mental-barrier-116631/)

Aussiephoenix 09-17-2010 10:17 AM

Pushing the mental barrier

I've heard this described as your body knowing its doing something dangerous, and trying to take over the situation without you ordering it to...

Imagine you're about to tackle that corner you know so well, and you know that its good for a knee down, but you simply cant get yourself out of that comfort zone in your lean...

How do you push that mental barrier keeping you from raging through that corner knee down and carvin it?

raylee 09-17-2010 12:33 PM

Simple answer: Practice on a trustable machine.

Read up on Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, it's also on DVD, now. He calls those "survival reactions", although I don't know if there's on specifically pertaining to leaning itself.

Sprock 09-17-2010 01:07 PM

Yah warm up first. I mean you don't get out of your driveway and head into the first
bend doing 80 ..... ...... I find you warm up and get in the "zone". Once there
"the edge" of your capabilities becomes clearer and the more practice you get
pushing that "edge" the further you progress.... but true at that 'edge" or comfort
zone as you say .... it's all about overcoming self perceptions of abilities aka ....
having the guts to go for more :D

raylee 09-18-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 968088)
I mean you don't get out of your driveway and head into the first bend doing 80 .....

That's actually how I leave my driveway. :icon_shrug:

Kuroshio 09-18-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 968080)

Read up on Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, it's also on DVD, now. He calls those "survival reactions", although I don't know if there's on specifically pertaining to leaning itself.

+1 on Code.
He doesn't teach any specific technique on dealing with the SRs. The understanding and knowledge on what to do and how a bike performs is supposed to do that i figure. Confidence, can't fear the unknown since it's now known, etc etc.

dizzy929 09-18-2010 12:34 PM

In terms of leaning over more, I just tell my self if someone else can lean over that far then so can I. Obviously it's not as simple as this but in terms of what the bike is capable of it works for me.

But honestly if you can try a track day. IMO this is the only safe environment to try an gain confidence on the bike in term of dragging knees, lean angle etc. The Keith Code book is great for knowledge of what causes the bike to do certain things but you need to practice this in a safe environment. Pushing the or finding the limits of your bike on the street is just asking for trouble. I ride track and I don't even consider riding at that same pace on the street. It just feels wrong and straight up dumb. This is a dangerous sport we are engaged in, this is fact so all you can do is try an minimize the risks.

Just my 2 cents

Ride Safe

Sprock 09-18-2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 968317)
That's actually how I leave my driveway. :icon_shrug:

Unless there's a tunnel first :D

hoppa2k6 09-18-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 968482)

you mean especially if there's a tunnel first? :icon_teeth:

raylee 09-19-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 968482)

:icon_dunce:

Hey, tunnels are scary. :icon_laugh:

R Smoove 09-19-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 968080)

+1

Survival reactions man... But if you pick a certain corner, and keep practicing that corner, I imagine you would eventually work your way through it.