CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Post-traffic behavior or just me? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/post-traffic-behavior-just-me-156518/)

bearings 08-29-2017 10:01 PM

Post-traffic behavior or just me?

I've been in heavy traffic (30 minutes+) twice on my 2016 CBR500R. Both times I've been at the head of the pack once the traffic clears and both times I've found myself at a red light with an open road in front of me. The first time, accelerating from a dead stop once the light turned green (again - no one in front), I opened the throttle and found myself lifting the front tire unintentionally.

Second time this happened, another 30 minutes plus of traffic, I'm at the end of the traffic at a light about to get on I84 in CT. I open the throttle, my CBR is up in a wheelie fast, and I'm on my back with the bike finishing it's rotation in the air heading down on me. (my gear protected me pretty well - ended up with lots of sore spots and ripped pants but was able to ride home and was with somebody so felt okay enough to do it).

I feel like I've used the same amount of throttle I do at any green light that I'm eager to get a jump on. This time I got bit by that hard and I honestly don't know why.

Is this just me and my riding technique (or lack of one)? Stuck in traffic, engine getting hot, at a green light the next thing I know I'm on my back and my back is busted up (mostly pegs, plastic, and a dented tank).

tl;dr
Every time I'm in heavy traffic I end up doing an unintentional wheelie. The last time I ended up on my back and my bike busted up.

74demon 08-29-2017 10:34 PM

It's all in your technique. My guess is you are dumping the clutch too fast with all that throttle. I can't imagine that anything mechanical is causing the clutch to intermittently lock up, and on that new of a bike.

Assuming you're not running some crazy big sprocket.....

bearings 08-30-2017 09:15 PM

Thanks, I'll have to work on that technique it seems.

Misti 02-28-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearings (Post 1307176)
I've been in heavy traffic (30 minutes+) twice on my 2016 CBR500R. Both times I've been at the head of the pack once the traffic clears and both times I've found myself at a red light with an open road in front of me. The first time, accelerating from a dead stop once the light turned green (again - no one in front), I opened the throttle and found myself lifting the front tire unintentionally.

Second time this happened, another 30 minutes plus of traffic, I'm at the end of the traffic at a light about to get on I84 in CT. I open the throttle, my CBR is up in a wheelie fast, and I'm on my back with the bike finishing it's rotation in the air heading down on me. (my gear protected me pretty well - ended up with lots of sore spots and ripped pants but was able to ride home and was with somebody so felt okay enough to do it).

I feel like I've used the same amount of throttle I do at any green light that I'm eager to get a jump on. This time I got bit by that hard and I honestly don't know why.

Is this just me and my riding technique (or lack of one)? Stuck in traffic, engine getting hot, at a green light the next thing I know I'm on my back and my back is busted up (mostly pegs, plastic, and a dented tank).

tl;dr
Every time I'm in heavy traffic I end up doing an unintentional wheelie. The last time I ended up on my back and my bike busted up.

What 74demon said. It sounds like you are just dumping the clutch with too much throttle. Practice letting out the clutch smoothly at the same time you are rolling slowly on the gas. You can still get quick off the line starts but without lifting the front tire up at all, if you do it correctly. Another thing that may help is to remember to cover the rear brake while you are doing this in case it does start to come up, then a tap on the rear brake will bring it right back down. Just as a safety precaution. Good luck! Always good to work on proper technique!!

Gunk 02-28-2018 05:16 PM

I’d suggest you find a large empty car park and just practice riding at a walking pace, u turns and slow speed clutch control. Riding in traffic is all about smoothness and control, it just needs some practice. Remember your rear brake and clutch are your best friends in the city.

scottscar54 06-23-2019 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gunk (Post 1312456)
I’d suggest you find a large empty car park and just practice riding at a walking pace, u turns and slow speed clutch control. Riding in traffic is all about smoothness and control, it just needs some practice. Remember your rear brake and clutch are your best friends in the city.

Excellent advice from Gunk. In 40+ years of riding all manner of 2 wheel contraptions, I still spend a day every month or even more just working on slow speed work. Most non-riders would think the higher speed highway riding is more challenging but not necessarily the case (although things can sneak up on a rider). But what seems to get a lot of riders is the slow speed maneuvers. It is all the little things, throttle control, really knowing where the clutch engages and being able to play the clutch, proper braking, proper head and eye position.

There is a great video of PD down in Miami doing their day 1 motor officer school and they officers have to learn to walk the bike across a lot ... no brakes... just using the clutch. They do it over and over again until they get in tune with their particular machine.

Definitely work on the slow speed stuff... can make all the difference in the world especially if you ever get to ride some of the better rides like Tail of the Dragon.