Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Overcoming mental blocks when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overcoming mental blocks when riding?

Hi guys. New member. Bought a 2003 cbr600rr a few months ago.
So I have a question for y'all. But I'll give y'all a bit of backstory so maybe it makes a bit more sense.
This cbr is not my first bike. It's my 5th. It's also not my first 600. Just my first cbr. Usually I'm a Yamaha fan. I've been riding for about 10 years. I'm 25. My issue is that I am having trouble making myself lay this cbr over. I know it is a mental thing, because I know the bike will take curves a lot faster than I do. I never had trouble with it before. I would take turns fast enough on my ninja and my Yamaha to be sliding a bit in the turn and be fine. But for some reason I can't make myself do it now. Whenever a sharp turn comes up I panic a little and slow down way more than I need to. More than even cars would usually. I've been trying to make myself do it but I'm not having much luck. Im pretty sure I have decent posture and technique. I've done it before without issue. It's just mental. How did you guys get yourselves to trust your bike more and ride faster?

sorry if this question is sorta strange. I'm kinda confused myself.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Find a nice road with a good turn or set of turns. Do it over and over and over again. Each time focus on your line, throttle control through it, and body position. Tweak each as necessary each time until you get so used to it that it becomes boring. Then do it some more. You will find yourself confident and properly attacking the corner on that bike.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Remember how much you used to enjoy your riding ?.......just go out and enjoy yourself at a nice relaxing pace.
If anything, personally, I’d try to go slower whilst getting things more structured within the ride. Planning and considering every action mentally and even commentating to yourself if it helps. I’m sure that everything will fall back into place but it’s important that you resist trying to push things before your old confidence returns.
Just my thoughts mate and I’m sure you’ll end up riding with a big grin slapped across your face in no time.
Cheers.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:11 PM

I think it has a lot to do with how rigid this bike is and how high you sit on it compared to previous bikes I've had. But I will just try and get more time in.
I simply find it strange since I am not a new rider

Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the bike new to you?

If so, have you bought new tyres?

If the tyres came to you with the bike they might be squared off, in which case it will upset the handling of the bike, initially resisting turning in and then turning in too fast. Not great for building confidence on a bike that is new to you.

Just a thought.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:57 AM

The bike is pretty new to me. And I do need tires. Although they aren't squared off.
I bought some new clip ons and am going to adjust the suspension a bit and get some new rubber on the bike and see what it doesn't help it. Cbrs do seem to sit a lot higher than the others. You kinda seem to sit on top of the bike instead of "in" it. It will take some getting used to. Thanks for the ideas though guys. I will take them to heart.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Your “sit on, not in” is exactly how I felt when I first rode mine. Bit glad to hear someone else noticed it as when I explained it to my mates I could see from their faces it was like “what???” Lol.
I was riding my brothers GSXR in between and the more I rode mine, the more his bike felt like I was sitting on a drag bike ! Lol
Soon got used to it though and sure you’ll be the same mate

Old 01-25-2018, 06:13 PM

That's what my buddy told me too haha. But he has a ninja 1000. The sport touring one. Although he had a cbr250 before that. I guess I'm just used to my old yammybanger

Old 01-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Old Bold Riders

Dear L, I know what you mean about those curves, every day there are news stories around here about the last guy that somehow "left the driving lane on a curve and was killed". This is not a hard concept to understand, either the rider was impaired, riding beyond his normal capabilities, or confronted with unforseen circumstances that were not anticipated in advance. Don't want to get all over the unfortunate rider, but in most cases on curves where there is an accident, the rider always misjudges the speed of the corner, or is leaned over in a corner that contains loose gravel or sand [deadly, by the way] I don't want to sound like a wet rag but any road section that you are on in a curve situation where the road has not been checked out in advance, you have no business leaning a bike over to press the turn faster. Just a few pebbles or small patch of runoff sand and you are toast in a ditch. Some of you like me have learned this the hard way and luckily survived, and some have not, but those that did have learned a dangerous lesson. An old WW2 fighter pilot once told me, "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". I always remembered this as riding a motorcycle is almost as dangerous as flying a plane. Just remember public roads are not racetrack quality surfaces, they are not constantly checked for debris, slippery liquids, trash, and whatever is on them. Best policy is to treat all roads like obstacle courses unless proven friendly. Happy Riding...............GC

Old 02-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lgarretto
Hi guys. New member. Bought a 2003 cbr600rr a few months ago.
So I have a question for y'all. But I'll give y'all a bit of backstory so maybe it makes a bit more sense.
This cbr is not my first bike. It's my 5th. It's also not my first 600. Just my first cbr. Usually I'm a Yamaha fan. I've been riding for about 10 years. I'm 25. My issue is that I am having trouble making myself lay this cbr over. I know it is a mental thing, because I know the bike will take curves a lot faster than I do. I never had trouble with it before. I would take turns fast enough on my ninja and my Yamaha to be sliding a bit in the turn and be fine. But for some reason I can't make myself do it now. Whenever a sharp turn comes up I panic a little and slow down way more than I need to. More than even cars would usually. I've been trying to make myself do it but I'm not having much luck. Im pretty sure I have decent posture and technique. I've done it before without issue. It's just mental. How did you guys get yourselves to trust your bike more and ride faster?

sorry if this question is sorta strange. I'm kinda confused myself.
Thanks
It comes down to understanding and applying good solid technique. When you come up to a right hand corner for example, how do you get the bike to turn right? Then what do you do? If you take a good hard look at how you are applying riding technique it may help. Usually riding issues aren't just "mental" they come down to not applying or understanding the technique of how to do it.