Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Not really skill but..

Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Default Not really skill but..

What do you do when the light doesn't change and you are stuck at red?
One street, I know it won't change so when nobody is around me, I put kickstand out and go to the pedestrian push button to change light.
Some other places, I saw my friend bouncing his bike one time to make it change, so I try to do that but it is sort of hard to do with not much feet touching. So I sit and wait, keep looking at mirror trying to suck some cars behind me. At some lights when I know no cops and no cars coming, I went though the red. I think the light will eventually change after 2 cycles even there were no cars behind me. But what is the trick to make the light change?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Try to pull up to the stop centered in the lane where a car would be so you have max chance of affecting the sensor. Most of the turns, in Tulsa at least, have been upgraded to work with bikes. If it just won't trip, wait thru 1 change (to show you are trying) and then treat it like a stop-sign. Go when you have a clear path. If you have shown an attempt, and can say as much to any officer that notices your dilemma, you'll probably be alright.

At least in Tulsa,OK. I actually stopped an officer here and asked him this very question. He told me that the above is their policy. Of course, it is always up to the individual officer's discretion, so being clear and concise (i.e. not drunk or stoned) will always go a long way to gaining his sympathy in any jurisdiction.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr View Post
At some lights when I know no cops and no cars coming, I went though the red.
Originally Posted by MadHattr059 View Post
If it just won't trip, wait thru 1 change (to show you are trying) and then treat it like a stop-sign. Go when you have a clear path. If you have shown an attempt, and can say as much to any officer that notices your dilemma, you'll probably be alright.
These have worked for me in the past. Just be careful when going through the red light.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

I don't know if it was on this forum or another, but there was talk about a law that describes exactly what you guys are talking about.

Would pulling up to the light in the center of the lane and a little sideways (as stupid as it would look) help trip the sensor? Maybe it would even help solve the "I didn't see them" crisis

Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

It depends. One thing I have done on all my bikes is to run a rare earth magnet on the bottom of my fairings. Since some lights run off magnetism, this helps. I also try to make sure the magnet goes over one of the strips on the ground.

I once got off my old bike and went to push the button at 2 AM and heard my bike crash behind me because I didn't put the kick stand down all the way. This was after I just got it back together after I painted it. I was upset to say the least and had to ride home without a clutch lever.

I also hear that lights detect flashing lights from emergency vehicles so if you flash your high/lows it will change the light. I think it has worked for me too but it could have just been coincidence.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
August 2011 ROTM

cynicalrider:....... a rare earth magnet........ flashing lights[/QUOTE]

What is a rare earth magnet?

Last night, as I was approaching the intersection, fire truck started to come behind me with siren on, I was on left lane and was going to turn left, so I pull to the side about 5 feet away from the line. After the fire truck passed, I pulled up to the line, and I made sure I was in the sensor square, but it didn't work, maybe because I didn't go over the other squares before the last one. It is a busy main street, so I could not go through the red light after the second chance passed. luckily a car pulled behind me, so it made the light change.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr View Post
What is a rare earth magnet?

Last night, as I was approaching the intersection, fire truck started to come behind me with siren on, I was on left lane and was going to turn left, so I pull to the side about 5 feet away from the line. After the fire truck passed, I pulled up to the line, and I made sure I was in the sensor square, but it didn't work, maybe because I didn't go over the other squares before the last one. It is a busy main street, so I could not go through the red light after the second chance passed. luckily a car pulled behind me, so it made the light change.

These are rare earth magnets. They are the small but super powerful magnets. I have one that is long that i pit on my lower fairing. I think I had it on my old bike too, I might have a pic.

You cant see it on this one but on that cross thing on my lower it is there on the right side:

Also for bikes, you dont want to go IN the sensor square, you have to go on the lines of the sensor square. At least that's what works for me?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM

If the intersection is busy enough that I know another car will pull up behind me I roll up a little into the crosswalk, then the car behind me trips the sensor.

If the intersection is empty and I know it will be empty for a while I treat the light at a 1 cycle stop sign and go.

I also ride with steel toe boots. Apparently the bike isn't enough to set off the magnets, but putting my steel toe right down on the wire almost always makes the light change if it's on a magnetic sensor.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post

hahahah in 7th grade my buddy had these from a science project he did... i was messing around with them at a romeo and juliet play we went to see as a class.. long story short they slipped out of my fingers pinching my eyelid and i had to pull them off because i could not seperate them.. that hurt so bad..

but anyways.. i have never heard of this before. thats pretty interesting if it works. but as for emergency vehicles (at least around here) the sensors pick up infrared (sp??) signals from a devise that is activated when they want to change the light or when the sirens are going...

Last edited by karl10250; 04-26-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: i cant type
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Yeah i was fairly sure the flashing of the light thing was just a myth, but I know the magnets work on any of the magnetic triggers. I always get that uncertain feeling when I pull up to one, but it's always nice when it works, which it usually always does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not really skill but..

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.