CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   No feet touching challenge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/no-feet-touching-challenge-123193/)

yumoncbr 03-30-2011 02:09 AM

No feet touching challenge

Whenever I see someone riding sportbike, I watched how they ride to see if I can learn something. I noticed lots of them use their feet when they are turning into driveway or when they are inching in in the traffic, or making small slow turn. I am not sure if this is normal for everybody. I don't have that kind of luxury. When you guys ride next time, can you conscious see how often you use your feet other than coming to stop? Thanks

UnderAssumedName 03-30-2011 02:32 AM

Hello

I'm quite tall (6'3") which means I can not only plant both feet but stand up off the seat (to reach into my pocket or look over the cars in front of me). Anyway, I don't use my feet to turn into a driveway. I use the rear brake and some throttle for that. When it's really really slow then I'll just ride on the clutch. Sometimes when I feel the U turn is too tight (in a narrow street) I'll use the left foot to 'step' out of the turn, planting it briefly only once.
If traffic is inching forward, for e.g. in town, I'll often use both legs to 'walk', not because I have to but because I like doing it. :icon_razz:

Whenever I don't feel like walking I'll usually just plant one foot, ride the clutch to inch forward and then land on that same foot. I'm not sure how you would do it if you were short. Your best bet is probably to really practice using the rear brake when going slow and really counter lean if the turn is tight (making sure you stay on the throttle or at least some clutch).

Have you lowered the bike?

PS: There is one thing I really don't get. I've seen people stick out both legs taking off from a light as if they were full blown drag racers (but at a normal speed). It looks so silly to me. You're much more stable with both legs on the pegs.

yumoncbr 03-30-2011 02:42 AM

You cannot do it if you are really short like me even with lowered bike. I always have my feet up unless I am stopped. Use rear brake and crutch as you mentioned. I've gotten pretty good at balancing on slow speed by now.

kazspeed 03-30-2011 05:28 AM

Use the friction zone, people who use their feet all the time shows a lack of skill and control of the bike.

regener8ed 03-30-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName (Post 1032378)
PS: There is one thing I really don't get. I've seen people stick out both legs taking off from a light as if they were full blown drag racers (but at a normal speed).

that one always cracks me up too.

the only time i'll be in motion with my feet off the pegs is in the really stop-n-go traffic where you only move 10 feet at a time. and if it's hot, the motors off anyway and you're walking the bike. the best practice may be at 4-way stops when you're in a line of cars -- gauging things so you can just keep rolling without leaving your riding position. red lights and intersections should really be the only time you need move your feet.
i naturally prefer my left foot when i stop; the only time the right ever leaves the peg is if i wanna put it in neutral and stand up.

RoadiJeff 03-30-2011 06:42 AM

As an avid bicyclist I guess I just have a habit of keeping my feet on the pegs whenever I'm moving. On a bicycle you don't move unless your feet are turning the pedals. During my MSF class I found it was somewhat easy to play with the clutch friction zone for slow speed straight line or doing the figure-8 turns box turns. I never had the urge to put my feet down.

UnderAssumedName 03-30-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr (Post 1032382)
You cannot do it if you are really short like me even with lowered bike. I always have my feet up unless I am stopped. Use rear brake and crutch as you mentioned. I've gotten pretty good at balancing on slow speed by now.

In that case you are good to go!

horse_power777 03-30-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr (Post 1032382)

I thought I was the shortest rider in the forum and I never put feet down except dead stop, how tall are you?

pittsm 03-30-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName (Post 1032378)
I'm quite tall (6'3") which means I can not only plant both feet but stand up off the seat (to reach into my pocket or look over the cars in front of me). Anyway, I don't use my feet to turn into a driveway. I use the rear brake and some throttle for that. When it's really really slow then I'll just ride on the clutch. Sometimes when I feel the U turn is too tight (in a narrow street) I'll use the left foot to 'step' out of the turn, planting it briefly only once.
If traffic is inching forward, for e.g. in town, I'll often use both legs to 'walk', not because I have to but because I like doing it. :icon_razz:

Whenever I don't feel like walking I'll usually just plant one foot, ride the clutch to inch forward and then land on that same foot. I'm not sure how you would do it if you were short. Your best bet is probably to really practice using the rear brake when going slow and really counter lean if the turn is tight (making sure you stay on the throttle or at least some clutch).

Have you lowered the bike?

PS: There is one thing I really don't get. I've seen people stick out both legs taking off from a light as if they were full blown drag racers (but at a normal speed). It looks so silly to me. You're much more stable with both legs on the pegs.

x2, i'm 6'2", so about the same for me as well.

MZ5 03-30-2011 08:37 AM

I put a foot (or feet) down when I stop, or in inching traffic, like others have said. I've not put a foot down for a driveway or anything like that. I guess that never occurred to me?