Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Night Time Twisties

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Night Time Twisties

Well, last night I went on my first "night time" run and thought, hey, it'll probably just a big highway cruise. Basically, these guys enjoy riding through mountain twisties with hair-pin s-turn after s-turn in the middle of the night (twistier than that vid I posted earlier). Meanwhile, I was crapping my pants (especially when we got to the 10% grade downhill sections) trying to figure out how I'm supposed to draw a line in the pitch black.

The guy who's basically the team leader told me that I need to pretend like I'm riding in the daytime and draw the line with my mind... or at least I think that's what he said. My Korean isn't that good. Anyone hit mountain twisties at night? How do you cope with not being able to actually "see through the corner"? Do you just suck it up or are there tips for riding nearly blind?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there tips for riding nearly blind?
yep..... don't do it....

The hardest part I've had with riding at night in the twisties is not having enough light. You almost have to run with your high beams on. of course, one of the main reasons I modded my bike to have HIDs is so I can see at night..

Having said that, I've never ran anywhere near as hard at night as I do in the day. I truly hope thats not what you guys were doing. for your own safety, if thats what you were doing, I'd suggest not doing it.

the only thing I can offer of what not to do, and that is follow the guy in front of you. Its extremely easy to get target fixation from watching the tailights of the guy in front of you. Its a very bad habit in the day time, let alone at night when you can't see whats between you and the rider in front of you.

My guess though. these guys you rode with have ridden that road so many times, they know it very well. but even then, I would be they are not in their lane a good majority of the time.

So, I really got nothing for ya, other than be safe man.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Around my area there are too many nocturnal deer, raccoons and other critters wandering across the roads to do any spirited riding. Be safe out there.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the common-sense factor.

IE. When in doubt, use good judgment.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Yea I say DONT DO IT... I would NEVER ride hard at night. My last experience in speeding at night landed my old 954 on its side and me with some hellish road rash. So I try to avoid bobcats and other nocturnal animals now. little critters come from everywhere.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Night riding is hard enough as it is. Let alone trying to rip through some corners. I try to avoid riding at night as much as I can. Too much unknown for me.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Administrator - Retired

Around my area there are too many nocturnal deer, raccoons and other critters wandering across the roads to do any spirited riding. Be safe out there.
Yep. At night I'm on high alert and going slow. I've come close a couple times with deer, and was very glad I had time to react.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 AM

Ridin' hard at night in the twisties of Colorado Mountains seems like a test of Mr. Darwins theory to me ! I have done it in a full moon ,but was not agressive at all and it was a nice run. casual , and just enjoying the feeling.
My advice...dont do it ! When luck runs out, it's not worth it and all your'e doing is testing your luck.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Alright, just wanted to get a consensus. These guys I ran with made it seem like every day business to ride like that when it was dark.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM

These guys I ran with made it seem like every day business to ride like that when it was dark.
And it probably was.

I've ridden with guys before that have no care in the world, doing 130 mph wheelie's down the interstate passing cars for miles on end, topping thier bikes out on every straightaway, stunting through residential areas... you name it, I've seen it. But, the big difference is I only ride with those types of people once. After I see that kind of disregard for others, I no longer associate with them. which is what I would suggest to you, is don't associate with them..... at least not at night.

Never put yourself in situations your uncomfortable with... no matter what the pressure is to do so. It doesnt sound like you had fun doing it. And I surely wouldn't do something I didnt have fun doing.

But again, be safe.

Quick Reply: Night Time Twisties