CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Newby on previously stunted F2... few questions. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/newby-previously-stunted-f2-few-questions-117379/)

megarawdeal 10-07-2010 01:00 PM

Newby on previously stunted F2... few questions.

So I recently acquired a 92 CBR 600f2 that is naked, has been lowered considerably, and has had it's gearing ratio lowered for quicker acceleration. I'm aware that this is far from Ideal for someone who is learning to ride, but the bike was free so I couldn't pass it up. In addition... I am a responsible adult whose "risk assessment" portion of the brain has fully developed.

I will have all winter to get the bike were I want it before I start cutting my teeth, and I wanted to know what areas I should focus on.
I have every intention of bringing the gearing back to stock, but I am not sure what adverse effects the lower ride height will have on someone who's just begun riding. It stands to reason that the bike would be more stable under braking, and less prone to lifting the front tire under heavy acceleration. The main trade off I can see is reduced suspension travel. Am I missing something here?
Another minor concern is the fairings, but I don't see myself in a position were the aerodynamics of the bike will become an issue. Beyond that, I will be tackling lighting(or lack thereof), regular servicing, and quieting down the obnoxiously loud aftermarket exhaust.

Any other advice(other than starting on something else)?
I really wanted to start out on an older honda CB 350-550, but my cousin offered me his CBR and I couldn't pass it up.
Thanks in advance guys!
Barry

adrenalnjunky 10-07-2010 02:03 PM

Put the gearing back closer to stock (15/43 or 14/45 - something like that), and adjust the suspension back closer to normal. How much is it lowered now? If it is the standard 1" rear and dropped the triples to level it out - you may not be too bad off. Pic might help. How tall are you?

Also - a slightly lowered bike will slow down the steering response a bit - like you mentioned might not be a bad thing. A radically lowered bike could have really weird handling traits that you wouldn't want to deal with.

If the bike has a huge sprocket on it now for stunting, remember that the motor is turning tons of RPM for normal cruising speeds. @ 5,000 rpm even the louder mufflers shouldn't be too bad - but at 7,500 they can turn into screamers. If the aftermarket exhaust has a removable endcap, pull it and the baffle out, check the condition of the exhaust packing. If missing or loaded up with spent fuel/carbon, then repack the pipe. When I got my F2 the prev owner had removed half of the muffler packing and the rest was way beyond doing anything effective.

fairings are your call - lots of peeps run streetfighter mode around here.

Take a MSF course if you can while you're fixing this one up - you get to use their bikes and probably helps the insurance and licensing portion of ownership.

megarawdeal 10-07-2010 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the only picture I've got at the moment... as you can see, there is quite a bit of fork tubing sticking out of the tree. I believe the bike has been lowered quite a bit, but I have no frame of reference. IIRC it was something like 2". I'm 5'11" and weigh in at a whopping 140lbs. As it is, the seating position feels very comfortable, but I've yet to ride it.
According to my cousin the bike is gear limited to around 75-80mph. I believe the mufflers have had the baffling removed(D&D brand) and the end cap does come off after drilling out some rivets. I'm looking into adding some baffling and will likely be cutting the muffler down a few inches so that it doesn't extend beyond the back tire/seat.
Also, fairings are not possible as the mounting tabs have been ground off. I plan on doing a street fighter build with some Cafe accents(not sure how to tackle that yet).

adrenalnjunky 10-07-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by megarawdeal (Post 974744)
This is the only picture I've got at the moment... as you can see, there is quite a bit of fork tubing sticking out of the tree. I believe the bike has been lowered quite a bit, but I have no frame of reference. IIRC it was something like 2". I'm 5'11" and weigh in at a whopping 140lbs. As it is, the seating position feels very comfortable, but I've yet to ride it.
According to my cousin the bike is gear limited to around 75-80mph. I believe the mufflers have had the baffling removed(D&D brand) and the end cap does come off after drilling out some rivets. I'm looking into adding some baffling and will likely be cutting the muffler down a few inches so that it doesn't extend beyond the back tire/seat.
Also, fairings are not possible as the mounting tabs have been ground off. I plan on doing a street fighter build with some Cafe accents(not sure how to tackle that yet).

Looks close to 2" down on the triples - probably has a a or 2" rear link on it. Good news is that the stock link can probably be found here or ebay for cheap, and you can probably sell the aftermarket lowering link for a decent amount - they run about $100 new IIRC.

As far as seating position, remember that if they lowered the front in rear similarly, then it is going to maintain a stockish seating position. your seat to rearset distance doesn't change. The only thing that would change is the ground to peg clearance, and how flat footed you are when stopped. My bike is stock and I'm a hair over 6" tall - I flatfoot on mine easily.

Cafe' look fighter - sounds interesting.

megarawdeal 10-07-2010 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's kind of hard to wrap my head around how I'll implement the Cafe styling cues into a CBR F2, mainly due to the way the frame is designed around the motor and fuel tank. As I mentioned in my first post... I initially intended on starting on an older Honda CB, which would have made a better starter bike, and a perfect Cafe racer project. Now that I've got a newer bike(relative to a 70's Honda), I can get creative and build something different.
As I see it... street fighter/cafe bikes share a lot of the same elements and spirit. I'd just like to build something with some old school cafe racer styling cues. I've attached a picture of a bike that has somewhat captured the look I'd like to achieve.

adrenalnjunky 10-07-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by megarawdeal (Post 974755)
It's kind of hard to wrap my head around how I'll implement the Cafe styling cues into a CBR F2, mainly due to the way the frame is designed around the motor and fuel tank. As I mentioned in my first post... I initially intended on starting on an older Honda CB, which would have made a better starter bike, and a perfect Cafe racer project. Now that I've got a newer bike(relative to a 70's Honda), I can get creative and build something different.
As I see it... street fighter/cafe bikes share a lot of the same elements and spirit. I'd just like to build something with some old school cafe racer styling cues. I've attached a picture of a bike that has somewhat captured the look I'd like to achieve.

I dig that look - looks like an older R1?

I've just picked up a '79 Yamaha XS650 as a winter project - heading the street tracker route with it if I were to start ordering parts for it right now.

Here's a full custom Street-tracker R1 build as some more ammo for your build.
http://thekneeslider.com/images/2009...r1-tracker.jpg