CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Newbie Questions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/newbie-questions-121253/)

junior26 02-15-2011 05:40 PM

Newbie Questions

What kind of oil do you guys use in your bike. ( I have a 2004 Honda CBR F4i - 19,000 Miles) The person i bought it off of used synthetic, so what is the best oil to use.

This is my first bike, went riding yesterday for the first time for about 1 1/2 hours. When stopped and going to turn i take the turn too wide sometimes. Any videos or suggestions on turning.

What RPM's should i have the bike at when riding it, not beating on it just cruising or what ever?

When stopping what brake do you guys use? Some people tell me only Front brake, some say front first then a little of the back.

I know these are some random questions but im new to riding, and i just had these questions in my head throughout the day today.

I appreciate any advice from anyone. also if anyone has like a site with riding tips on it i would appreciate a link.

Thanks

DagonRais 02-15-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by junior26 (Post 1015246)
What kind of oil do you guys use in your bike. ( I have a 2004 Honda CBR F4i - 19,000 Miles) The person i bought it off of used synthetic, so what is the best oil to use.

This is my first bike, went riding yesterday for the first time for about 1 1/2 hours. When stopped and going to turn i take the turn too wide sometimes. Any videos or suggestions on turning.

What RPM's should i have the bike at when riding it, not beating on it just cruising or what ever?

When stopping what brake do you guys use? Some people tell me only Front brake, some say front first then a little of the back.

I know these are some random questions but im new to riding, and i just had these questions in my head throughout the day today.

I appreciate any advice from anyone. also if anyone has like a site with riding tips on it i would appreciate a link.

Thanks

Here is a good thread on the Oil,
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...light=rottella

Turning just takes some time getting used to, though others might have some better advice. Also read up on the riding skills area here on the site.

My bike it all depends on how I am riding it. If I am just cruising I shift anwhere from 5k-9k, If I am getting on it ill get it up close to the redline, but I ride a F2. Also there is a wrong way to shift, but as long as you listen to your engine it is pretty hard to do.

For your brakes, you want to use both front and back. Most of your stopping power should be with your front brakes, it is easy to lock up your back brakes. Most people that say use only your front say that because something like 90% of your stopping power comes from your front brakes. But just giving up 10% of your stopping power is stupid, and there are times when using your front brakes can cause you to wreck.

junior26 02-15-2011 07:14 PM

Ok, cool thanks appreciate the advice!

AZMechanic 02-17-2011 04:11 PM

Do what you can to enroll into a motorcycle riders safety course near you. Respect the bike. Turning is something that becomes easier when you learn to feel the balance of the bike, and master the slip of a clutch.

Use both brakes. Locking the rear brake up is not the end of the world. Unless you are mid turn and it can lead to a wreck. But you should never brake hard in the middle of a turn.

Wear all the gear all the time.

junior26 02-18-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by AZMechanic (Post 1016037)
Do what you can to enroll into a motorcycle riders safety course near you. Respect the bike. Turning is something that becomes easier when you learn to feel the balance of the bike, and master the slip of a clutch.

Use both brakes. Locking the rear brake up is not the end of the world. Unless you are mid turn and it can lead to a wreck. But you should never brake hard in the middle of a turn.

Def. will be doing a motorcycle safety course for sure. I got the turning from a stop pretty good, now its right turns when moving like in second gear turning right for some reason is hard. im getting better everyday though so thats a plus.

adrenalnjunky 02-18-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by junior26 (Post 1016214)
Def. will be doing a motorcycle safety course for sure. I got the turning from a stop pretty good, now its right turns when moving like in second gear turning right for some reason is hard. im getting better everyday though so thats a plus.

Most people have a side that they turn to easier. For me, on motorcycles or bicycles, it's laying into a left hand turn that is less natural, but, physics is on your side. Even if it feels weird to you, as long as your body is in the same position & throttle and brake usage are the same, then making that turn the "other" direction your bike has no preference, just learn to let it do its thing.

+1 on the MSF course. Front brake is almost all you need on a sport bike, in normal traffic conditions. In all vehicles, fronts are typically 75% of all your braking power. Given that, I still make sure each time I ride to drag the rear from time to time to keep it warmed up and the rotor cleaned off.

AZMechanic 02-19-2011 08:04 AM

Funny thing. For the life of me, I cannot explain why making left turns is more comfortable than right ones. I know I make more right turns, I am right handed, and learning to ride in the mountains, a right hand turn seems like it's more safe. less likely to steer tight and go off that cliff. But, I make left turns more confidently. I can tell in one way because I have almost no chicken strips on the left sides of the tires, but I have noticeable ones on the right. The only thing I can say is that I am left eye dominant. Although I doubt there is enough research to point at that being enough of a factor.

Give it time, enough practice and you will be lock to lock on your steering in parking lots.

nortstudio 03-08-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by AZMechanic (Post 1016037)
Do what you can to enroll into a motorcycle riders safety course near you. Respect the bike.

+1 on these ideas. I hadn't ridden in a LONG time, and although it came back quick, I really appreciated the tips and practice time on their course, before diving into brooklyn traffic.

Also, despite being less comfortable at times, wearing the best, most protective gear possible is key.

Enjoy, and be safe!

TooBroke0029 03-09-2011 06:19 PM

The angle of a left turn is obviously different than a right turn. When turning your always looking where u wanna go, so it makes sense since the left turn is the wider and further out your more comfortable. Well thats my 2 cents atleast.

scorpionvmu 03-09-2011 08:35 PM

even when in the car i always feel more comfortable making left turn drifts than to the right. when you use to ride your bicycle and when you locked up your rear tire, which way did you always swing that bike???? when you go to the left the rear tire of the bike is going to the right. if that makes sense. im right handed as well but its just easier to go to the left.