Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Low speed riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the slightly high revs, clutch at friction point and rear brake, no front ! I did it no problem in the MSF class, but my Hurricane is a bit more to handle and is probably where I am most apprehensive on my bike. Push to shove, I will put my foot down and do it, maybe not touch down but just in case i need it. I laugh at myself, because I will put my feet down, not touch the ground and pull it off no problem. It's me,not the bike,but plastic is expensive.
I have buddies that have police and Highway patrol experience and what they can do with a Gold Wing or the big cruisers is just sick. They reminded me though that they learned on bikes they didn't have to fix when they fell over..and they got plenty of "have to" experience ! Still lets me know what the possibilities are though. I practice circles in front of my house and have gotten better.Still not my best maneuver though.Perfect practice makes perfect !

Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Rear brake and friction zone definately, however what helped me the most was thinking less and feeling out the bike. If you think you are going to drop your bile at low speeds then you will, plain and simple. So try not to think about the act so much as simply doing the act. Or course, practice makes perfect - MSF course showed me how to do parkinglot maneuvers on a 250cc low slung metric cruiser with a fat torque curve and no horsepower and upright searing position, the I-4 600cc with forward canter position is a bit different; practice makes perfect, but don't be afraid to use your feet, it's better to look a little inexperienced with your feet on the ground than to look like a complete n00b with your pretty plastic on the ground.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM

all true in the MSF i did i used a 200 honda rebel. I was ablt to do the 8 on my first u i was focusing on looking through the turn. on the second u i was like "hey that was easy i hope i dont go out this time." ad guess what i went out a big amount of space. I felt like a reed. I have found that looking through the turn reaky helps but i just cant stop myself from looking drectly ahead of me i wont look through the turn unless i think about it like three times. What sould i do???

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the MSF ERC (Experienced Rider Course) makes you do everything you did in the BRC... On your own bike.

I did The Box during the ERC on Ororo. By the end of the ERC , I was able to do it in the box designed for the 250s. The principles remain the same: friction zone, rear brake, look where you want to go and counter-balancing.

Trust me, everyone in the class almost wet themselves facing The Box for the first time on their own shiny bikes. Worse were the guys who never took the BRC. The absolute worst were the 2 guys that never took the BRC and were taking the ERC to get their license... On liters

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM

I haven't noticed that riding slow is all that difficult, except in gravel and the gutter at the bottom of my driveway. Maybe it's because I also ride a bicycle too? I do know that bicycle riding is more fun now that I have a Hurricane, and I think it helps a lot with confidence too. The bicycle taught me about riding on the ***** of my feet amongst other things.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to show y'all what is possible
YouTube - ‪2010 10 24
No, I WISH that was me

And Krux, if you watch closely you'll notice a couple times when the guy turns the bars lock to lock