Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Low speed riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed riding

I did a quick search and nothing came up so this seems like the thing to do...

Obviously riding at low speeds (less than 25 km/hr or 15-20 mph) is a lot different than riding at higher speeds. The bike feels unstable, counter steering isn't the only way to go, and you can see the scenery. This is something I've never gotten entirely comfortable with. I can do it, but it usually makes me a little nervous.

What makes me particularly nervous is pulling a u-turn in narrow side streets. I've seen 15 foot circles done on youtube and whatnot, but I never figured out how to gain more confidence. I'll usually just end up putting my feet down and walking it around almost straight up with the bars turned .

Is it a matter of just going around a crowded parking lot or is there something I should know that might help me out?

(I watched TotW2 and it seems I pretty much just have to loosen on the handle bars, but there's still 4 inches of snow over here)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM

When i pull a u turn on a tight street i will always put a foot down to stabilize the bike. Better to be safe than be a show off and lay the bike over. But im sure going to a parking lot will help you practice, but i would wait for the snow to leave. Then watch the sand because you can lose traction on the rear tire and keep the bike up, but when the front tire slips when your turning, your going to have a very personal conversation with the pavement.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Definitely watch out for the sand, usually takes an awhile for the sweepers to get out.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM

I always try to avoid anything more than a casual rip around the block before the sweepers have a good week to work (at least). Even then I stick to major roads for almost another month and I still try not to do anything too balsy. I try pretty hard to keep the shiny side up during the start of the 3 month Alberta riding season.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Since I practiced only with slow speed when I first got my bike, I'm comfortable riding at slow speed. However, I am still nervous about doing very tight turn. I try to put my weight on the opposite side and turn the handle bar like how you would do with bicycle, and use back brake, throttle and clutch to control the speed. I don't want to fall, so I rev more white not moving too much. lol I was able to make u turn on 2 lane street one time. If my mind is not up to it, I simply stop and get off and push my bike to angle it in the direction I wanna go. ha ha

Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch (at friction zone), some throttle and the rear brake is what keeps you going. Sitting up straight and pushing the bike to the side (one cheek off, to angle it) is what gives you the tighter radius and looking over the shoulder to see where you want to go is what gets you there. Practice makes perfect and you can make the turns tighter once you get better. Mind you, I can't make as tight a turn that I did during the test with my sportbike. I can do it on a naked bike or anything on which I'm more upright though.

Btw, you need a constant engine pull for low speed riding and especially tight turns. If you are in the turn and you pull in the clutch or let go of the throttle etc. The bike is going to drop like a brick.

Have you ever tried taking off and riding (slowly) whilst only using the clutch? Try it.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Have you ever tried taking off and riding (slowly) whilst only using the clutch? Try it.
Yep, this helps you to get more balance in slow speed

Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM

Counter steering is out and counter weighing is in. Shift your weight to the outside of your turn and really look where you want to go. Google police motorcycle competition and see what slow speed riding is all about.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 PM

didnt u hav to do figure eights in the box? in motorcycle safety class we did all kinds of slow speed tight and wider turns i had to to take the class tho not old enough to get my moto license without it i still sometimes use two parking spots to practice doin a figure eight in, enter in one corner figure eight then exit out the opposite no feet on the ground unless absolutly necassary! the police competitions are absolulty crazy

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSF class they teach you how to ride at slow speeds. The only thing is they don't teach you how to ride a sports bike at slow speeds which is totally different. If you turn the steering wheel to much on a bike bam you go down. Its all about feathering it. Don't worry I think a lot of us either have a hard time or avoid doing sharp turns. Bigger risk of it going down.

Quick Reply: Low speed riding