CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Lazy down shifting (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/lazy-down-shifting-147831/)

Killerdimpler 07-04-2013 12:39 PM

Lazy down shifting

So sometimes coming to a complete stop I hold my cluch in (without releasing) and I tap my shift leaver from 6 to 1st. .... That bad? Does anybody else use this lazy form of down shifting? Please let me know your thoughts.

Frost 07-04-2013 08:44 PM

Um, not something that I do all the time, typically I would only do that under say a hard stop situation where you don't have time for engine braking.

Is it good for the bike? I wouldn't say that it's going to help anything but I can't really think of any valid reasons off the top of my head not to. Like there is a possibility that doing that is hard on the clutch and/or drivetrain but nothing is really coming to me right now.

But long story short, no, I don't typically do that.

Kuroshio 07-04-2013 10:11 PM

Imo it's not a good idea. As your speed drops, 6th gear will be more unusable if a situation arises. Say for example you're coming up to a light for a stop and see the car behind you isn't stopping...

Your bike would need power RIGHT NOW. And 6th gear at 15 mph would essentially be power some time next Tuesday. You always want to be in a gear appropriate for the speed you're traveling for this reason. Too tall a gear and you will lose precious time while the engine spools up. Or worse... You stall out.

Optimus_Prime 07-05-2013 12:01 PM

No, I don't down shift like that when riding. To my mind, if the clutch is in and your engine is at idle while you drop all the way through your gears then you are not in full control of your bike. Plus, changing gear is fun.

maverick0716 07-06-2013 10:54 AM

If you don't do it already, try rev match downshifting....it's easier on everything.

Killerdimpler 07-06-2013 01:38 PM

All of you guys are awesome!!!!!! Thank you. Yesterday I was practicing the Rev matching technique. I'd slow down with breaks(if I was going fast) until I could do the appropriate Downshifting gears at the smooth appropriate speeds. I think you guys also call engine breaking?

Frost 07-07-2013 09:11 AM

If you haven't yet I would recommend watching Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. It's free on youtube.

They show a technique for rev matching downshifts using the front brake simultaneously, it takes a bit to get the hang of it but when you do it's buttery smooth and sounds really cool. It's a bit like heel-toe downshifting.

vfrman 07-08-2013 02:52 PM

There is nothing wrong with that technique....as long as you are downshifting to a gear that you can use if you need it (which has already been addressed).

Killerdimpler 07-08-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks guys, that video was really informative

skinm4n 07-16-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 1240632)
If you haven't yet I would recommend watching Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. It's free on youtube.

They show a technique for rev matching downshifts using the front brake simultaneously, it takes a bit to get the hang of it but when you do it's buttery smooth and sounds really cool. It's a bit like heel-toe downshifting.

Good video and good technique.

Thanks,
Skin