CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Killed bike while riding??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/killed-bike-while-riding-138888/)

Wisconsin 06-03-2012 11:26 PM

Killed bike while riding???

Hello there everyone,

got a question for whoever can answer it.

So I was riding today, and took my right and off of the handlebars completely to give it a little shake.

When I put it back on the bike, I accidentally hit the engine kill switch! I didn't notice what I did right away, and was very surprised to see my rpms drop to basically zero, and have no response from my bike whatsoever, but it was still on!

After a second or two of thinking "oh **** i blew my engine" I realized what dumb mistake I made, and pulled to the side of the road. I came to a complete stop, switched to neutral, and drove off good as new.

My question to you all is, What if I had no place to pull over/slow down?

(for example there is construction the highway by my house and walls on both sides of the 2 lanes for a good 5 miles)

would it be possible to switch down to neutral while maintaining speeds of 50+mph and start the bike, then clutch and switch back up to 5th or 6th gear?

I know many of you are going to say, don't hit the switch ya dumbass :icon_deadhorse:...but mistakes do happen, and I would like to know how to correct this one!

74demon 06-03-2012 11:34 PM

just flip the switch back on leaving it in gear, it should start back up. (i've never done that, so i'm kinda guessing!)

but i do know that its not a good idea to go into neutral at that speed. the bike wont take to kindly to going through the lower gears on the way back up.

kilgoretrout 06-03-2012 11:50 PM

Just flip the switch back on. I've done it several times. :D

justasquid 06-04-2012 01:15 AM

As others have said, just switch it back on. If your still in gear, its basically like push starting the bike and it will come right back to life. Or, you can pull in the clutch and hit the starter button while still coasting. there shouldn't really be a need to pull over.

However, if you are on a carbed bike, keep in mind you are pumping unburned fuel through and it can build up in the exhaust. Its a huge pump and your applying throttle. if you've gone long enough with the killswitch off and then turn it back on, you can have a result of a pretty significant combusiton through the muffler. fuel injected bikes turn the fuel off as soon as the killswitch is applied.

I only know this because when we had large groups of riders, ( many years ago) we would sneak up on each other and hit the killswitch on someone riding next to us. The carbed guys had some fireworks once in awhile.

Cahal 06-04-2012 01:40 AM

Exactly what the all said, happened to me a few times on group rides but now i know better to watch my right, i usually am the one ninja'ing the kill switch now

Wisconsin 06-04-2012 02:25 AM

okay cool!

so this will get the muffler to spit flames is what your saying lol? my bike is fuel injected, doesn't have carbs

grendl 07-02-2012 01:44 PM

You should be able to just turn the kill switch back on( I would do it with the clutch in) let the clutch out and go on. I did a similar thing misjudging my gas, ran out switched to reserve,by that time the bike wasn't running ,keyed the starter and off you go !.Lesson learned- when the gauge is 'there' it is time to refuel or switch to reserve.

BorderLineAlaska 07-19-2012 12:06 AM

Ive done it a couple times. Both where while on the interstate. First time I coasted to a stop and restarted it cause it startled me.. I was fairly new to riding bikes on the road then.
Second time was a couple months ago, I just flipped it back on in 6th gear, let out the clutch and bam I was cruising again within a couple seconds.

Shueisha 07-19-2012 03:22 AM

Same as all the above really, it's basically a 'bump start' flick it back on and drop the clutch (well that's the UK name to my knowledge) just a bit faster ;)