Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

I feel like the wind is going to rip me off my bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ime on of those guys that do 80+mph one handed. All I do is hold myself upright with my abs/thighs (takes practice), keep a loose but good grip on the handbars and lean into the wind. If its blowing from the left i lean left, right i lean right. if its head on i tuck in a bit more then usual. i can normally stay straight as an arrow on the interstate riding like this. as long as its open, as i get near packs of traffic i always use two hands like i should

Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Makes sence...

Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axnst1
I sport a Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 jacket. I'll let you be the judge of whether or not that is a good one...

I guess I'll just keep riding then!

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the pointers!

I have the same jacket and after having it a year i think its almost time for a new one. They are okay in the wind but mine is a little big around the stomach area so i had to pin it together or else its like a parachute.

Im 6'1'' and 140lbs.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM

My wife says the same thing...she wanted to go down the highway and when we did she said she felt like she was going to fall off...

I have never felt like that but I am normally tucked in more at faster speeds, I suppose if you are sitting straight up you may feel this way.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really a matter of seat time and muscle workout. When I got the F3, felt the same way and was slightly skittish on the highway. Now I don't tuck in till... um, somewhere after the speed limit

Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Leaning forward a tad is what did the trick for me...

Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM

I hit 100 and still dont have to tuck. Just gotta get used to it

Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM

I have been getting a lot more seat time since my last post and I don't even notice it anymore. Every now-and-again when I fly by a semi I get a little gust that makes me grab the steering wheel a little harder but that's about it. Maybe with time even that'll go away... It was all about seat time!!!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yeah, you just get used to it.
You should try flying down the highway in the wind and rain on a KLR650 with handguards. (imagine adding sails to each end of the bars on an already twitchy bike.... lol..)
WOT, sitting just about straight up, knobbies humming..... you just relax and go along for the ride.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axnst1
I have been getting a lot more seat time since my last post and I don't even notice it anymore. Every now-and-again when I fly by a semi I get a little gust that makes me grab the steering wheel a little harder but that's about it. Maybe with time even that'll go away... It was all about seat time!!!!!
It'll prolly go away about the same time you stop thinking you have a "steering wheel" while on your bike

That or when you find yourself leaning over the armrests and looking thru turns while driving a cage.

Or you find your right hand twisting the steering wheel in the car to speed up

Quick Reply: I feel like the wind is going to rip me off my bike