Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

I feel like the wind is going to rip me off my bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel like the wind is going to rip me off my bike

If I ride more than 80mph on my bike, I have to pretty much hug the gas tank otherwise I feel like the wind is going to make me crash. This happens even if there is no wind going on. I see other bikers riding much faster than that sitting straight up and with only one hand on the weel. My bike only has 3K miles on it and has brand new expensive tires. Am I missing something?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by axnst1
If I ride more than 80mph on my bike, I have to pretty much hug the gas tank otherwise I feel like the wind is going to make me crash. This happens even if there is no wind going on. I see other bikers riding much faster than that sitting straight up and with only one hand on the weel. My bike only has 3K miles on it and has brand new expensive tires. Am I missing something?
Yep, you are missing seat time. You will get used to it after a while, but until then make sure you hang on with both hands. Or just keep hugging the tank, I always lean forward a little when going over 75-80.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eat some more tators lol

and +1 more seat time!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:41 AM

Yeah..... I get it...so basicaly you guys are telling me that I am just a big wuss! I'm 230lbs so I know I don't need to eat more... I'll keep riding...

Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM

What jacket are you wearing? good gear helps.
if it is not too cold, a good mesh jacket will make the wind glide thru.
Worse ones I see people riding with are those down jackets or my off the shelf loose fitting leather jacket.

for me, it acts like a wall and the wind just doesn't go around me.

but yeah, first time on the freeway, scared as hell, but after a while u get used to it....

Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM

brother, im 330, 6'4, i ride a 05 zx10, (sorry), but my baby is my 06 cbr f4i, (not to small for me at all), freakin wind is crazy, even if its not breezy, so i feel you, seat time baby, you tune it out

Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM

I sport a Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 jacket. I'll let you be the judge of whether or not that is a good one...

I guess I'll just keep riding then!

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the pointers!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what model your bike is but you might look into replacing your stock windscreen with a taller aftermarket one that channels the wind over and around you more. Zero Gravity, Puig and a few others are popular choices. The double bubble style ones have been known to reflect sunlight back on the instrument display and leave burn marks so be careful if you get one of those.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seat time + workout.

When riding you really should be using your trunk to hold yourself up. Abs and such. As those muscles develop, you'll find yourself more stable in the saddle. Quick question:

When you brake, do you feel yourself pressing on the grips to keep from going forward?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM

cybaster brings up a good point. I've worn several different jackets. there is a distinct difference between them in how they allow the wind to affect your body. My alpinestars leather was horrible for highspeed, upright riding. It was wide and flat across the front, which I think made it worse than the other jackets I've worn.

Currently, I am wearing a teknic textile to help with the high heat we've had lately, and I don't get buffered around at all.

You may just be one of the unlucky riders like me who has very wide shoulders. It creates a huge wind catcher.

I think the best suggestions have already been made, in that either try a different jacket, or get a different windscreen that will push the air a little higher. You probably don't have access to try out different jackets, so I would just do a quick ride without a jacket and see if the wind pull is better. If it is, a different jacket could help.

Quick Reply: I feel like the wind is going to rip me off my bike