CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   how many drops before taking to shop (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/how-many-drops-before-taking-shop-119148/)

RollingT 12-03-2010 07:58 PM

how many drops before taking to shop

Q. how many times can one drop their bike, before it's necessary to take it to the shop to have the engine examined? (its internals)

this may sound like an utterly stupid question, but being a new rider, im hoping there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid assumptions...

so.. i've already dropped my bike (600FY <- found out by looking under the seat cowl...again..) TWICE. not moving, once engine running, once not running.. literally slo-mo drop after i completely stopped the bike..

(i don't have a license yet, but until then, i read about the varnish issue, so i run the engine every few days so as to prevent build up?.. and i just push the bike with my feet with gear on neutral to get used to the weight and the bike as much as possible.)

so besides cosmetic damage.. (yup, fairing scratches :icon_doh: )... whenever i start the engine, i don't hear any alarming new sounds, nor changes in the rpm.

from what i'm reading on any blogs, it's unavoidable that i'm gonna be dropping my bike even more... and at speeds :icon_sad:

but having the bike TOWED to a garage after every drop seems a bit paranoid from what i've been reading and seeing on youtube.

is there such a number? or is it more about how fast you were going and WHAT u hit rather than how slowly it tipped over?

ps. i ask this cuz after i get my license, i'll probably be doing a lot of laps in an empty parking lot before i actually try the crazy streets. and since havn't learned braking yet... i have no doubt im gonna be dropping my bike many times :icon_sad:

ps2. just in case, i live in korea, so there's no msf course i can take. every school is just a regular driving school that happens to test for motorcycles as well. and it JUST includes video of traffic safety, and doing loops on the motorcycle test track. in first gear only.

i tried looking for riding schools but those are almost all given as customer service to a specific brand of motorcycles (eg. for bmw bike owners, etc)
not to mention its winter, so if they start again it won't be until march~april...

best thing im hoping for is to find a bike club in my area, and hopefully become friends with someone who's willing to teach me how to ride properly... of cuz in the meanwhile, i'm reading any books and videos available online. dunno what more i can do besides this.

kilgoretrout 12-03-2010 08:24 PM

Nope, there's no magic number of drops. I'd say you should probably take it to the shop to be looked at if:
a: it won't run
b: it won't hold oil or other fluids
c: the engine is making bad noises
d: something is broken that is imperative to safely riding it

And I wouldn't necessarily say that it's inevitable that you're going to drop it at speed/wreck it, either. Just take your time with learning how to ride and try to relax. :)

CBRclassic 12-04-2010 05:23 AM

Dave , mate , take it from someone that has spent quite a bit of time picking bike's back up after adventures of the horizontal kind ...

If nothing external to the engine is busted and she does not leak anything?
" oil , water , brake fluid ect ect " or make any weird noises ....... she's fine as far as the engine goes ...

As Dylan said .... the more important thing aside from the engine perspiring fluids , is whether she is still safe to ride ...?
Check for bent and busted bits, levers , mirrors , brake levers , gear shift , wheels still straight ect ect ect ...

If you engine is running ok , sounds ok , and don't leak anything ... your right to go ....

My moto ... if it ain't broke , don't try to fix it ...LOL

BTW ... Learning to ride is a slow process ... way too many new riders get too cockie too soon and they wind up reading how to ride books while recovering in hospital....

No one hands out medals to people for fast or adventurous riding in your first few mths or years mate ...

You do as Dylan said ...take your time ...
Ride at speeds and in a manner that YOU feel safe and comfortable with ..
NEVER listen to anyone that encourages you to go faster of take a few risks ...

It's all about fun and the feeling .....and you can achieve that at YOUR own dam pace ...:icon_wink:

Monkeh 12-04-2010 08:29 AM

Make sure you havent tweeked the forks and make sure the oil light goes out when you start it up. Also you shouldn't really be starting it up unless you're going out for a ride as it can do more harm that good plus you'll flatten the battery.

Sprock 12-04-2010 03:02 PM

Only thing I'd check after a few tip overs Dave would be your battery if it's the
lead acid "water" type. sometimes they'll drain off a bit. Make sure all cells
are level. If it's a gel / sealed battery ....... don't bother they don't leak when on
their side.

Other than that Trout & Classic's on the money !........ sometimes ;)

kilgoretrout 12-04-2010 06:32 PM

Other than that Trout & Classic's on the money !
Hells yeah. :D

But good call on the electrolyte leakage. I've done that before. (in and out of the bike)
Especially when you're charging it and want to see the bubbles go to the top so you tip the battery and spill acid all over your wife's countertops. LOL..

BTW ... Learning to ride is a slow process ... way too many new riders get too cockie too soon and they wind up reading how to ride books while recovering in hospital....

No one hands out medals to people for fast or adventurous riding in your first few mths or years mate ...
Big +1 on this.

CBR.600.F4 12-04-2010 06:48 PM

no sudden throttle twisting

that either makes the bike take off without you

flips on you

scares the #$@#$ out of you and you survive

takes your chances carefully haha

RollingT 12-05-2010 03:07 AM

hmm battery totally new..thanks!

battery NEVER even crossed my mind! good call.. i guess i'll go check next time! thanks everyone! really appreciate all the good info!

Sprock 12-05-2010 12:11 PM

Well there ya are then , see, sometimes some things just slip by :D