Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do YOU handle aggressive cagers?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do YOU handle aggressive cagers?!!

I live in Alberta, Canada, which has the highest road fatality rate in the country simply because it has the most aggressive, careless, and self righteous drivers period.

Driving a sportbike here is so frustrating. People crowd you, cut you off, pretend not to see you, and edge you out of your lane repeatedly. Then to top it all off, they yell at you or give you the finger while doing any of the above because they feel justified moving you out of their way, while they're on THEIR way to their very important business...

That all said, are there any, ANY strategies people on this forum have used to make riding life even SLIGHTLY easier?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to Street Skills.

Personally I find there is no 1 strategy or magic solution. Sometimes I have to act meek as a mouse, yielding to the drivers in an attempt to defuse the situation and their aggressiveness. Sometimes I go full defensive, anticipating and predicting their future actions to ensure they don't affect me.

And sometimes I'm forced to go on the offensive, FIGURATIVELY. I use my bike's agility, power and speed to keep what's mine. Maneuverability is one of our greatest assets. With a throttle blip and a quick swerve, the other driver can gladly have the space I was once occupying and yet still be in no better position than he was. Not a choice I make lightly. But sometimes it's better to have the idiot behind me than in front or next to me...

And Sersi can make sure he's waaaay behind me.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dust 'em.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Moved to Street Skills.

Personally I find there is no 1 strategy or magic solution. Sometimes I have to act meek as a mouse, yielding to the drivers in an attempt to defuse the situation and their aggressiveness. Sometimes I go full defensive, anticipating and predicting their future actions to ensure they don't affect me.

And sometimes I'm forced to go on the offensive, FIGURATIVELY. I use my bike's agility, power and speed to keep what's mine. Maneuverability is one of our greatest assets. With a throttle blip and a quick swerve, the other driver can gladly have the space I was once occupying and yet still be in no better position than he was. Not a choice I make lightly. But sometimes it's better to have the idiot behind me than in front or next to me...

And Sersi can make sure he's waaaay behind me.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest.

If you have the opportunity, just give it a little gas and move ahead. You win, they get what they want and you can keep your focus on the road. The less you are distracted by angry drivers the most enjoying the ride is and the safer you are. Just try not to let anything get to you while riding.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a goPro camera on your bike or helmet should something happen? Not so much a preventative move, more of a just-in-case.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 AM

Yep GoPro works well, people don't seem to do stupid things when they see a camera on your helmet. Otherwise dust 'em and filter the next set of lights.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't stay with 'em long enough to know whether or not they're "aggressive". It's dangerous as hell to stay stagnate in traffic. Push through them all and get to some open road where you're alone.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM

I usually just let them go by if they're following me. I also try to be dominant in my riding lines but not aggressive (lots of online tips for this.) Sometimes I just feel I'm to old to play chicken with a steel cage and find the long country way to work away from town.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tele1650
find the long country way to work away from town.
it's usually more fun anyways.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Yeah you need to be very patient and forgiving while riding.

Quick Reply: How do YOU handle aggressive cagers?!!