Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Highway lane position question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I generally, try to run in the left hand of the right lane (on a 2 lane road).
On a 3 lane highway, I occupy the left of the middle lane.

My reasoning .....this gives me the most road surface to use, laterally. I still have plenty of pavement in both directions. This gives me the most latitude for avoidance of any forward threat, as well as side threats. You're not trapped by either edge of the road.

It also, gives you easy lane position to hop into the passing lane without actually occupying it. In Oklahoma, they recently made it illegal to ride in the left lane except to pass (unless in heavy urban traffic).

With all of that said, even though that is my main position, I do some 'drift' to remind people that I'm entitled to the whole of the lane.

Ern
Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I travel the left lane most times on the freeway. I tend to avoid the right lane as much as possible because of on / off ramps.

People have proven to me consistently they do not know how to enter a highway. Often either trying to jump into tight spots between cars, hoping / expecting the trail car will yield to them (despite the fact the traffic on the highway has right of way). Or they creep on, going insanely slow and creating a major hazard for traffic that is doing the speed limit. And off ramps have the danger of people suddenly deciding they need to exit RIGHT NOW. Despite the fact they're in the center or far lane. That's how my friend went down last year. The left lane eliminates danger from one direction, the left, as the only thing over there is the divider. And while people can be oblivious to almost every thing, the one thing they're all aware of (even truckers) is that unyielding wall.

You should be scanning for potential problems before they become actual problems. You prolly have enough experience driving (yes, in a cage) to recognize when someone is potentially about to do something stupid (like drift into your lane).

When you see the potential situation, you should begin eliminating escape routes. I say "eliminating" because you should always have multiple escape routes in your mind, only needing to eliminate ones that don't apply.
I basically do what Ern and Kuroshio wrote. On the highway I'm pretty much always on the middle lane just because I have the most space there (being able to 'escape' either to the left or right of necessary).

I'll sometimes cruise on the right lane if it's very calm but generally you have trucks, really slow drivers merging lanes and on/off ramps to deal with. When it's busy on the road I tend to stay on the left/fast lane, occasionally hopping on the middle lane (over here you can also get fined for hovering on the fast lane although when it's busy enough for me to stick to the fast lane, only a biker cop would be able to catch up to me...) if there is a good spot. If there isn't. I'll stay on the fast lane until I see nice opening.

I'd rather risk getting a fine than to have to squeeze myself between two cars. We have all seen the stupid ****ers (mostly cagers) who squeeze themselves between two cars, sitting so close they could easily see which radio station the car in front has selected.

If I can't pass and have to sit next to a car (usually on its left side), I'll make sure I can see the driver's face in his mirror. I rarely see them use their left mirror so I'm always anticipating them switching lanes on me. Sitting right next to a car is dangerous because if they do miraculously use their mirror, they won't look to the side. The sheer amount of people who do NOT signal is frighting so be aware of that. I watch my mirrors as a hawk, especially the left mirror because I can not only see the lane to my left, I can also see right behind me if I tuck in my elbow slightly.

I'm quite neurotic with the left mirror, especially on the highway, but I do feel safer knowing that if someone changes lanes on me, I can either give a 'you better not' honk or switch lanes to be in the clear (subsequently giving them a 'are you blind?!' stare/hand-gesture).

What else, what else? If you do hover on the fast lane, make sure you get out of the way of those tailgate ****ers you often see (I can spot them from a mile away). Switch lanes prematurely, let them pass (even though you are already going a bit over the speed limit) and get back to where you feel safest.

I also think driving exactly the speed limit is much more dangerous than going slightly over and if I remember correctly, this is something an instructor actually told me during training.

If you are allowed to filter/lane split in highway traffic, turn on your hazards (if allowed in your country/state) if you have them or turn on your left blinker. I've been turning on my hi beam (only during the day, because it would be too blinding at night) in heavy traffic as an extra precaution (having a HID kit helps).

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bikes at the same speed as traffic = most dangerous situation ever. i stay faster than the flow of traffic to eliminate most issues behind me and some on the side. the best advice i can give is ALWAYS leave yourself an out for your current position and the one youll be in the next 30 seconds, even if it has to be a shoulder or flat grass, just make sure you can get out of the way. and DONT ever rely on a car seeing you. act like your invisible at all times

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
I'll sometimes cruise on the right lane if it's very calm
Do you prefer the left or right side of the right lane when calm?

When it's busy on the road I tend to stay on the left/fast lane, occasionally hopping on the middle lane
Do you prefer the left or right side of the left/fast lane when you're doing this?

If I can't pass and have to sit next to a car (usually on its left side)
Where in reference to the car do you sit? Like just ahead of him, even with his door/mirror/trunk?

I watch my mirrors as a hawk, especially the left mirror because I can not only see the lane to my left, I can also see right behind me if I tuck in my elbow slightly.
How is one supposed to set motorcycle mirrors? The MSF bikes didn't have any I have a 300mm convex rearview mirror in my cage, i can see EVERYTHING!

I also think driving exactly the speed limit is much more dangerous than going slightly over and if I remember correctly, this is something an instructor actually told me during training.
Noted. Thank you!

And sorry about all the questions, you gave a lot of good info in your post. And you know what they say... the reward for good work, is more work Thanks for looking out for the new guys.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but going along the lines of this thread topic, what is proper etiquette on highways for lane splitting? I just witnessed an accident today and the rider was tossed from his bike and it looked bad. I cant help but think that a car switched lanes without seeing the rider. I can understand lane splitting in complete gridlock, but when traffic is still flowing (albeit slowly) what is the advantage in lane splitting? Maybe you save 10 minutes, but is it worth your life? Any advice/rules to adhere to when deciding whether to lane split.

Thanks, and again, no disrespect to thread starter, just thought this would be an appropriate thread to pose the question, rather than starting a new thread when a similar one was already started.