CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Help!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/help-107979/)

Repsol12 03-29-2010 05:54 AM

Help!!

Okay, Im an experienced rider and have no issues with my question in practice, but when teaching or advising...its hard to articulate what Im talking about. I have a buddy that wants help with turns. Sweepers and low speed. Ill drag a knee at 170 on a sweeper, but trying to explain to a beginner how to do it safely and not have to slow down to 10 under the limit is hard for me to do. I dont want to teach him bad habits or have him ride above his head, but the only ideas that come to mind for me are the techniques I use which are relatively advanced (not the word I want, but not sure how else to word it). He wants me to take him on our "North Run" which has lots of curves, some clean, some decreasing, some increasing, elevation changes up and down, some fast, some slow. He will get the full gammit of experience up there, and he's riden that road with me and two other guys before but we would have to wait upwards of a few minutes for him at the next stop. (and thats with going 20 over the limit MAX) Any help you guys can lend on how to teach him to be able to keep up a LITTLE better but still be safe and keep him on two wheels would be great. I know he got a taste of riding above his head once already when he went down trying to keep up wth the big boys after, to quote him: "got dusted by repsol12 and RCDave" on the ride we went on.

chuckbear 03-29-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Repsol12 (Post 899509)
Okay, Im an experienced rider and have no issues with my question in practice, but when teaching or advising...its hard to articulate what Im talking about. I have a buddy that wants help with turns. Sweepers and low speed. Ill drag a knee at 170 on a sweeper, but trying to explain to a beginner how to do it safely and not have to slow down to 10 under the limit is hard for me to do. I dont want to teach him bad habits or have him ride above his head, but the only ideas that come to mind for me are the techniques I use which are relatively advanced (not the word I want, but not sure how else to word it). He wants me to take him on our "North Run" which has lots of curves, some clean, some decreasing, some increasing, elevation changes up and down, some fast, some slow. He will get the full gammit of experience up there, and he's riden that road with me and two other guys before but we would have to wait upwards of a few minutes for him at the next stop. (and thats with going 20 over the limit MAX) Any help you guys can lend on how to teach him to be able to keep up a LITTLE better but still be safe and keep him on two wheels would be great. I know he got a taste of riding above his head once already when he went down trying to keep up wth the big boys after, to quote him: "got dusted by repsol12 and RCDave" on the ride we went on.

MSF

Tell him to stop trying to ride above his ability so that he can spend some more time on this planet. You, as a friend who is concerned with his well-being, should also realize that it's a lot less important to wait a few minutes up the road than to have to explain to his wife/gf/friends/family that he was killed or maimed trying to keep up with you because you pushed him too hard on a machine that has ample potential to kill you.

If he wants to hone his skill and push the limits, maybe he should look at some track days. The street is no place to try to ride on the edge of your abilities.

kilgoretrout 03-29-2010 10:03 AM

Wow.
First off:

Ill drag a knee at 170 on a sweeper
Bullchit.

Second, if you wanna ride like captain insano, do it on the track. It sounds like you're riding too fast for public roads and you and your buddy's skill level. (does your claimed highside at 80mph ring a bell?)
Now your buddy has wrecked, too, trying to ride "above his head" as you call it.

And what's the big deal about waiting on a new rider friend for a few minutes anyway?

I would suggest you and him both read "The Pace". Also, the book titled "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch is a great one.
Good riding habits will come with education, time, and patience. Take your time, slow down, and ride safe.

Kuroshio 03-29-2010 10:22 AM

2 words: Track school

You're no teacher. Attempting to be one will get him killed. And trying to teach him thru you across the internet will just get him killed in a more ridiculous manner.

Repsol12 03-29-2010 07:53 PM

Okay that works. thanks for NOT answering the question at all and just be some high horse soap box dicks.

No one i ride with have a problem waiting on a new rider. HE came to me asking for help speeding up, not the other way around.

at 3am when there is NO traffic whatsoever on various sections of road me and my buddies will push the limits when the risk is only to ourselves and not others. and dotn try and bull**** and give me grief about going fast when everyone bought there bikes for the speed and power they have and have guaranteed beein into the triple digits on PUBLIC streets. and if you say you havent your a POS f*ckin liar.

and yeah my high side taught me a few lessons. after being put back together, i kept things very tame until i started to get more and more practice and my skill level started to come up and havent wrecked since.

i asked for advice to lend. i didnt ask for smartass advice or any of that garbage. if you want to answer my actual question, then thanks, if not, STFU.

Repsol12 03-29-2010 09:19 PM

I love that my response got deleted by some bitch that didnt like what i had to say. people can run their mouths but I cant respond? wtf?

kilgoretrout 03-29-2010 09:27 PM

Nope, it had too much name calling and cursing... sorry. Read the rules.

Bottom line is that I don't think anyone here can really answer your question.

You are supposedly such an "experienced rider", but you can't put it into words for your buddy?

Claiming 170mph in the curves is silly, and what's even more silly (if possible) is now you're claiming to do it all at night?

Then you decide to start cursing and name calling.

Oh, btw... the word is "gamut" not "gammit".

Case closed.

However, you should check out the article and book I recommended.
It was actually really good advice. Nick Ienatch is a smart guy.
Here is a link to "The Pace"
And here is a link where you can buy "Sport Riding Techniques: How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track"

Shadow 03-29-2010 11:50 PM

GEEZ !
6 Posts and STFU to our staff.................:eek:
Hmmmmmmmm
Seems someone borrowed Maxwell while I wasn't looking..........

Deserved what he got IMO.

Now gimme back my hammer :)

kilgoretrout 03-30-2010 03:43 PM

Steve just borrowed your Hammer, Pete. :)

I got all scared like a humongous little girl, but between my hysterical sobs I managed to get a distress call out to Steve...... my knight in shining armor. :icon_teeth: