Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Fitness & Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only problem is since I bought my bike I quit working out!! Lol seems like I always plan my next ride instead of actually going to the gym. I have a fast metabolism so it really doesn't affect me that much other then im losing a lot of strength and what little bit of mass I had. I need to get back in the routine of hitting the weights again. I just have so much fun on my bike!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Down another pound. That is 3 pounds in eight days!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM

3 pounds.. Get it!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's health, wealth, then riding....IMO.

1. Without health, what's wealth($$$)....the best wealth is actually good health because when you get old...you'll be spending all that money just to maintain health..hospital bills.

2. Without wealth(work/job) how are you going to take care you bike, with gas price lately, how are you going to afford $5/gallon gas & insurance, let alone the cost of repairs if bike goes down. Without wealth, how are you going to buy riding gears to protect your body(health) if you go down.

So DON'T just focus on your bike!!

YOU are THE most important, then your job, then your bike....

I'm like most, first year I got my bike...everything $$ was for the bike...then realized

But this is only IMO...it may not mean anything...LOL...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motivating... I have been so madly busy at work there has been no way nor energy to get time to get running... I have been more conscious about what I eat, although have had to eat a few hot dogs to get even something. I couldn`t buy those dumbbells I mentioned earlier because I spent the money on those bike parts I found, but I`m not entirely sure if I could even use them... Sometime in last november or so I was fixing my car at the carage, and tripped pretty bad. Took a nose dive while I sub-consciously stretched my arms forward with the result that my right glove grabbed the clutch-lever of my Cagiva, and jerked my arm back pretty violently while I did a text-book faceplant into the cement. The shoulder is still pretty sore at some specific positions that happens to be those that you use while exercising with those things... I just went to a scale and I have lost *drumroll* 500grams! Then again I did pig out the whole weekend from early morning till late at night so I guess it sorta evens out...
Am trying to get more into the schedule later this week or at least the first days of the next...
Right now it`s snowing like heck so it would be pretty heavy to run in there anyways.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I was at this semi-mandatory customer service/work well-being course last saturday, and there was a chance to go through a health inspection, so I decided to go. There was so much people that there was no time to decode the results, but I got them with me and here they are:

Height: 171cm

Weight: 77,5kg

BMI:26,5

Fat: 27,1%

Muscle: 36,1%

BMR: 1747

Visceral fat: 9%

What I learned from the charts posted on the walls there, I was under the impression that I`m pretty average and losing the gut should not be too hard because the fat seemed to have concentrated pretty well into the abdomen area. If someone could read the results better, feedback would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Well, I'm down a total of 7 pounds and I started running. I hate running but when it is all said and done I feel so much better. Even makes my old aching joints feel better. According to the app I using to count calories, today I only get to eat 993 calories. Funny how when you are counting calories you make better food choices...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM

-2,4kg just by looking what I eat and staying off candy. A few beers today, try to find time to go running again next week, this week I got 53h at work and snow storms so no chance...

Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I going a different route. I rented a trainer at the gym. I have to admit I'd have never thought of the routines he has me doing at the start. We barely use any weights or machines. But I can tell its working... I think only my hair isn't sore

He's targetting different muscle groups each session, except the core. That's every session. He also noted that while I am generally fit (blood pressure good, OK circulation), I'm not in shape by any definition. I'm having trouble even activating some muscle groups, like my pecs. Hence the lack of weights / machines. Even using perfect form, I tend rely on the wrong muscles. So we've really gone to the basics till the underused muscles get up to speed

Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working with a knowledgeable trainer is a great way to get into shape or recover from an injury. I am very lucky because my employer offers an on-site gym with an excellent staff of trainers. I used to have rotator-cuff issues that I thought were age related, but after working with the trainers and strengthening the muscles around the rotator-cuff, I have full mobility again. I also get great motivation from the trainers, they are very good about giving little "atta-boys", which for me, is the incentive I need to go to the gym or push a little harder.

I agree with estate4life, the correct priorities are: health, wealth, bike/toys. If you aren't healthy everything else is much more difficult (if not impossible).

At nearly 50, I'm not trying to win a bid on the Olympic team or anything like that, but I refuse to let age, or a sedentary lifestyle prevent me from having fun. I enjoy riding, driving, and playing tennis too much to get soft and fat. Now days, I just have to be a lot more conscious of what I eat (I love ice cream and sweets) and make sure I don't skip workouts. I guess being a Marine taught me the importance of being fit, and gave me the motivation to do something about it.

Quick Reply: Fitness & Riding