Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

First time going down yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thank God it was just some scratches. Instead of buying new fairings try fixing up the ones you have. It will be a nice little learning project.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM

I actually put my bike down today. I did a u turn across the road but was going to fast and was looking ahead of myself instead of where I wanted to turn. As I was 3/4 through my u turn the curb started coming up fast l, so I straitened the bike from a counter steer and applied both brakes, put my left foot down and the bike tilted to my left I tried with all my strength to hold it up but it just kept going lower and lower till it was laying on the ground. I was totally fine with not a single scratch, so I picked the bike back up started her up and continued on.

I checked her out when I got back, no damage aside from a couple extra scratches on the crankcase and a little on the very bottom of the lower fairing which were both already scratched from a drop from a previous owner of my bike. The bike tilting over when I stop seems to b my biggest prob while riding, I think it has to do with my height as I'm only 5'5". I can get both feet mostly flat but when it tilts I don't have long enough legs or inseam to counter balance the bike so I have to really muscle it back up right. This is the first time I put it down though. Very embarrassing, don't think anyone saw though.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Road hazards....wet, sand, oils, uneven pavement, pot holes...etc...

All these are potential hazards...+1 if your tire is due.

Rider that ha been down gain so much respect for the road & put you into a much wiser rider. Take it in....be glad it could have been worst. My first low side happen on high traffic area, oil was cause. But oil with lite rain even worst....they say first 1/2 hr rain is worst cause it raises the oil and debrees to surface. Puddle of water is no brainer, cause hydroplaning is worst....

Unless you have no other forms of transportation, avoid riding in rain, but if you have to, proceed with the highest caution. Ride like you have slick tire(no tread)....and letting some air out of both tire will help traction.

Becareful out there....hate when I hear bike being damage....glad you are ok with minor scrapes...atgatt....

Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Don't worry, we been thru it....5.5" is ok...wen bike lean over to a certain degree, it get too heavy for any one to life...

So you has 2 choices when in the U turn realized you are going too hot..either hit the curb or lay her down....

What gear were you in? If it's a narrow U, being in 1st....if it's a wider U, being in 2nd....

When in a turn, don't grab both brakes to shed speed....apply rear only....because grabbing front brake will cause a nose dive....

Originally Posted by ToysNyCG
I actually put my bike down today. I did a u turn across the road but was going to fast and was looking ahead of myself instead of where I wanted to turn. As I was 3/4 through my u turn the curb started coming up fast l, so I straitened the bike from a counter steer and applied both brakes, put my left foot down and the bike tilted to my left I tried with all my strength to hold it up but it just kept going lower and lower till it was laying on the ground. I was totally fine with not a single scratch, so I picked the bike back up started her up and continued on.

I checked her out when I got back, no damage aside from a couple extra scratches on the crankcase and a little on the very bottom of the lower fairing which were both already scratched from a drop from a previous owner of my bike. The bike tilting over when I stop seems to b my biggest prob while riding, I think it has to do with my height as I'm only 5'5". I can get both feet mostly flat but when it tilts I don't have long enough legs or inseam to counter balance the bike so I have to really muscle it back up right. This is the first time I put it down though. Very embarrassing, don't think anyone saw though.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Did you use back brake during the turn? did you keep a steady speed/torque through the turn?

sorry to hear you went down man, keep riding!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM

I did the turn in 1st, throttle not super steady but good enough not to loose traction. I did not use the brake in the middle of the turn I made sure the bike was strait up before I hit the brakes. I did not mention before that the road was sloped on the side I laid it down, maybe I should have cut to my right so that when I stopped the front of my bike would have been facing uphill giving me no slope to my left or right allowing me to balance well while in a stand still. I would also like to mention that I made a pretty hard stop not allowing myself to put my feet down with my weight centered.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM
February 2012 ROTM

You've gain experience....this is important.... Not only riding but planning your route....

Example: have any new rider ever park bike head in on a slope? Try backing out when you leave....feel stupid. I've don't that LOL....

Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 AM

I am the same height dude, my 06 600RR is stock height and when I came up to a light the road was slightly banked so I was barely touching the ground as I was at a stop trying to make a right turn. I was trying to inch up a little more to see oncoming traffic and lost my balance.

I tipped the bike halfway over and tried to muscle it up but it wasn't happening, momentum already took over so I eased her down like a feather, picked her up fired it up and learned this lesson......

From now on when you run into that situation lean your bike on the high side foot down....in other words if the road is banked to the right put your left down and slightly lean the bike to the left to give you better footing.

It works for me!

Just need to find your balance, took me some time also when coming up to lights.

Last edited by aslcbr600; 05-09-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM

Ya, thanks for the tip, that seems to b my biggest prob with a motorcycle. At least its a problem when at a stand still as opposed to moving.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Ya, thanks for the tip, that seems to b my biggest prob with a motorcycle. At least its a problem when at a stand still as opposed to moving.

For sure!

Quick Reply: First time going down yesterday