CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   First time going down yesterday (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/first-time-going-down-yesterday-131171/)

Pontiac Z 09-28-2011 07:23 AM

First time going down yesterday

It had rained super hard yesterday for about 20 minutes, but I went out a few hours later. I had on shorts (:mad: i know) and a rain jacket. took a turn doing about 8mph and the back just FLEW out from under me. I've had my 600 for about a month but only have a few days of riding exsperience. My leg only got scraped up a little bit, but my baby got scratched pretty decently. Now I know how fast that chit can happen and I'll be more thoughtful of things.

Btw...anyone know where to get 93' F2 fairings? lol

Will1000RR 09-28-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pontiac Z (Post 1103179)
It had rained super hard yesterday for about 20 minutes, but I went out a few hours later. I had on shorts (:mad: i know) and a rain jacket. took a turn doing about 8mph and the back just FLEW out from under me. I've had my 600 for about a month but only have a few days of riding exsperience. My leg only got scraped up a little bit, but my baby got scratched pretty decently. Now I know how fast that chit can happen and I'll be more thoughtful of things.

Btw...anyone know where to get 93' F2 fairings? lol

comes with experience, keep riding without the shorts though.. check classifeds section here, craigs and ebay as I'm sure you'll find it..

RedBaron 09-28-2011 10:25 AM

It’s all good man these things happen when learning, that’s why you bought an old bike, right?:)
Do you know what caused it? The rear end doesn't just fly out for no reason so I'd be looking at your tires for wear and check everything is mechanically A1. If it was rider error and you know what you did wrong then learn from it and move on. Best thing you can do is heal up, buy some proper riding gear and get back in the saddle.

Have any pics of the damage? If it’s only scratches don't worry too much for now, just keep riding her like that until you get some more experience.

Pontiac Z 09-28-2011 12:21 PM

I think it was just because it was wet and the way my weight was when I was turning. I took a few pics with my phone but can't upload them right now. I was close to the side of the road and it might have just been super wet there or I hit the edge, but I don't remember that well since it happened in less than .2 of a second...literally.

Slcpunk74 10-09-2011 10:01 PM

Yeah that stuff sucks man, sound like you have a pretty good idea of what went wrong. I had a similar deal yesterday but the roads werent wet( anywhere that I saw) and yeah I don't think I learned anything haha. I had on new metzeler m3s that I had rode on for 10-20 miles and they were warm... After a bunch of searching most guys say you need to scuff tires in but after reading this How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine I don't know what to think.

Went for a slow right hand on a very crowned road, hit something small I couldn't see(wet leaf, oil, small puddle, etc.)slid just enough to hit the painted line, slid more on that, hit the crown in the road where it slopes away... Guess I shouldn't have waited for my buddy to bring over those sliders he was going to sell me.

Good luck man, hopefully you got right back on there. I fixed some stuff and went for a good 60 mile ride and I'm happy I did.

djbrower2 03-18-2012 09:43 AM

I dont trust any tire on wet roads. I know alot of them say they handle just as well on wet roads as dry but as stated earlier it only takes .2 seconds for things to go south. Best thing you can do is be carefull and get back up on the bull!!

Kuroshio 03-18-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by djbrower2 (Post 1141663)
I dont trust any tire on wet roads. I know alot of them say they handle just as well on wet roads as dry but as stated earlier it only takes .2 seconds for things to go south. Best thing you can do is be carefull and get back up on the bull!!

I get nervous on wet roads. That's when I had my first low side. But it's an irrational fear so long as I ride sensibly. My new bike has a mode specifically for wet: Rain mode. It chops the engine horsepower all the way down to a mere 150hp (:icon_razz:) and traction control kicks in sooner, especially while leaning. But fact is these bikes can handle the wet just fine so long as the rider keeps cool and sensible

vfrman 03-19-2012 04:27 AM

You have to be very smooth on all your riding inputs when riding in the rain... smooth braking, smooth throttle, smooth turning.

Pngo12 03-19-2012 01:37 PM

Man you've only been riding for a few days and you went out in the rain and with shorts? I am terrified of riding in the rain, I've had some longtime riders tell me how slippery it is and I won't even dare go there.

djbrower2 03-19-2012 10:20 PM

you gotta do what you have to do. If you get stuck out in the rain which is bound to happen you cant be afraid to ride. just gotta watch your lean angle and acceleration.

PLAYBOYCBRR 05-03-2012 01:05 AM

Just thank God it was just some scratches. Instead of buying new fairings try fixing up the ones you have. It will be a nice little learning project.

ToysNyCG 05-07-2012 12:11 AM

I actually put my bike down today. I did a u turn across the road but was going to fast and was looking ahead of myself instead of where I wanted to turn. As I was 3/4 through my u turn the curb started coming up fast l, so I straitened the bike from a counter steer and applied both brakes, put my left foot down and the bike tilted to my left I tried with all my strength to hold it up but it just kept going lower and lower till it was laying on the ground. I was totally fine with not a single scratch, so I picked the bike back up started her up and continued on.

I checked her out when I got back, no damage aside from a couple extra scratches on the crankcase and a little on the very bottom of the lower fairing which were both already scratched from a drop from a previous owner of my bike. The bike tilting over when I stop seems to b my biggest prob while riding, I think it has to do with my height as I'm only 5'5". I can get both feet mostly flat but when it tilts I don't have long enough legs or inseam to counter balance the bike so I have to really muscle it back up right. This is the first time I put it down though. Very embarrassing, don't think anyone saw though.

estate4life 05-07-2012 10:17 AM

Road hazards....wet, sand, oils, uneven pavement, pot holes...etc...

All these are potential hazards...+1 if your tire is due.

Rider that ha been down gain so much respect for the road & put you into a much wiser rider. Take it in....be glad it could have been worst. My first low side happen on high traffic area, oil was cause. But oil with lite rain even worst....they say first 1/2 hr rain is worst cause it raises the oil and debrees to surface. Puddle of water is no brainer, cause hydroplaning is worst....

Unless you have no other forms of transportation, avoid riding in rain, but if you have to, proceed with the highest caution. Ride like you have slick tire(no tread)....and letting some air out of both tire will help traction.

Becareful out there....hate when I hear bike being damage....glad you are ok with minor scrapes...atgatt....

estate4life 05-07-2012 10:45 AM

Don't worry, we been thru it....5.5" is ok...wen bike lean over to a certain degree, it get too heavy for any one to life...

So you has 2 choices when in the U turn realized you are going too hot..either hit the curb or lay her down....

What gear were you in? If it's a narrow U, being in 1st....if it's a wider U, being in 2nd....

When in a turn, don't grab both brakes to shed speed....apply rear only....because grabbing front brake will cause a nose dive....

Originally Posted by ToysNyCG (Post 1157144)
I actually put my bike down today. I did a u turn across the road but was going to fast and was looking ahead of myself instead of where I wanted to turn. As I was 3/4 through my u turn the curb started coming up fast l, so I straitened the bike from a counter steer and applied both brakes, put my left foot down and the bike tilted to my left I tried with all my strength to hold it up but it just kept going lower and lower till it was laying on the ground. I was totally fine with not a single scratch, so I picked the bike back up started her up and continued on.

I checked her out when I got back, no damage aside from a couple extra scratches on the crankcase and a little on the very bottom of the lower fairing which were both already scratched from a drop from a previous owner of my bike. The bike tilting over when I stop seems to b my biggest prob while riding, I think it has to do with my height as I'm only 5'5". I can get both feet mostly flat but when it tilts I don't have long enough legs or inseam to counter balance the bike so I have to really muscle it back up right. This is the first time I put it down though. Very embarrassing, don't think anyone saw though.

Wisconsin 05-07-2012 11:23 AM

Did you use back brake during the turn? did you keep a steady speed/torque through the turn?

sorry to hear you went down man, keep riding!

ToysNyCG 05-08-2012 10:18 AM

I did the turn in 1st, throttle not super steady but good enough not to loose traction. I did not use the brake in the middle of the turn I made sure the bike was strait up before I hit the brakes. I did not mention before that the road was sloped on the side I laid it down, maybe I should have cut to my right so that when I stopped the front of my bike would have been facing uphill giving me no slope to my left or right allowing me to balance well while in a stand still. I would also like to mention that I made a pretty hard stop not allowing myself to put my feet down with my weight centered.

estate4life 05-08-2012 11:59 AM

You've gain experience....this is important.... Not only riding but planning your route....

Example: have any new rider ever park bike head in on a slope? Try backing out when you leave....feel stupid. I've don't that LOL....

aslcbr600 05-09-2012 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ToysNyCG (Post 1157144)

I am the same height dude, my 06 600RR is stock height and when I came up to a light the road was slightly banked so I was barely touching the ground as I was at a stop trying to make a right turn. I was trying to inch up a little more to see oncoming traffic and lost my balance.

I tipped the bike halfway over and tried to muscle it up but it wasn't happening, momentum already took over so I eased her down like a feather, picked her up fired it up and learned this lesson......

From now on when you run into that situation lean your bike on the high side foot down....in other words if the road is banked to the right put your left down and slightly lean the bike to the left to give you better footing.

It works for me!

Just need to find your balance, took me some time also when coming up to lights.

ToysNyCG 05-09-2012 11:31 AM

Ya, thanks for the tip, that seems to b my biggest prob with a motorcycle. At least its a problem when at a stand still as opposed to moving.

aslcbr600 05-09-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ToysNyCG (Post 1158070)
Ya, thanks for the tip, that seems to b my biggest prob with a motorcycle. At least its a problem when at a stand still as opposed to moving.

For sure!

estate4life 05-09-2012 02:06 PM

I'm sure there are Options to lowered bike? How about a Corbin seat...those suppose to seat lower than oem..

Also tall riding boot will help too

Originally Posted by ToysNyCG (Post 1158070)

ToysNyCG 05-09-2012 10:12 PM

Definitely don't want to lower bike as it could compromise handling. I would however, consider the Corbin seat and tall boots. Where could I get the seat?

estate4life 05-10-2012 12:10 PM

Corbin sells them direct but $$$$ like $300 set....Sometimes you'll find cheaper used one on ebay for 1/2 the price....one member here got a deal for like $80 newly new....you just have to hunt around and be patience.

What year & make is your bike?

Wizzle 05-26-2012 01:27 AM

You say you were wide and may have hit the painted line?
If that's so, there's your problem.
I hit the yellow lines a lil too hot during a turn and felt the rear slipping some.
That was on a dry day with warm tires.
It was my first slippage, but I stayed calm and throttled more, leaned harder through the turn and everything worked out.