CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   First time going down yesterday (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/first-time-going-down-yesterday-131171/)

Pontiac Z 09-28-2011 07:23 AM

First time going down yesterday

It had rained super hard yesterday for about 20 minutes, but I went out a few hours later. I had on shorts (:mad: i know) and a rain jacket. took a turn doing about 8mph and the back just FLEW out from under me. I've had my 600 for about a month but only have a few days of riding exsperience. My leg only got scraped up a little bit, but my baby got scratched pretty decently. Now I know how fast that chit can happen and I'll be more thoughtful of things.

Btw...anyone know where to get 93' F2 fairings? lol

Will1000RR 09-28-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pontiac Z (Post 1103179)
It had rained super hard yesterday for about 20 minutes, but I went out a few hours later. I had on shorts (:mad: i know) and a rain jacket. took a turn doing about 8mph and the back just FLEW out from under me. I've had my 600 for about a month but only have a few days of riding exsperience. My leg only got scraped up a little bit, but my baby got scratched pretty decently. Now I know how fast that chit can happen and I'll be more thoughtful of things.

Btw...anyone know where to get 93' F2 fairings? lol

comes with experience, keep riding without the shorts though.. check classifeds section here, craigs and ebay as I'm sure you'll find it..

RedBaron 09-28-2011 10:25 AM

It’s all good man these things happen when learning, that’s why you bought an old bike, right?:)
Do you know what caused it? The rear end doesn't just fly out for no reason so I'd be looking at your tires for wear and check everything is mechanically A1. If it was rider error and you know what you did wrong then learn from it and move on. Best thing you can do is heal up, buy some proper riding gear and get back in the saddle.

Have any pics of the damage? If it’s only scratches don't worry too much for now, just keep riding her like that until you get some more experience.

Pontiac Z 09-28-2011 12:21 PM

I think it was just because it was wet and the way my weight was when I was turning. I took a few pics with my phone but can't upload them right now. I was close to the side of the road and it might have just been super wet there or I hit the edge, but I don't remember that well since it happened in less than .2 of a second...literally.

Slcpunk74 10-09-2011 10:01 PM

Yeah that stuff sucks man, sound like you have a pretty good idea of what went wrong. I had a similar deal yesterday but the roads werent wet( anywhere that I saw) and yeah I don't think I learned anything haha. I had on new metzeler m3s that I had rode on for 10-20 miles and they were warm... After a bunch of searching most guys say you need to scuff tires in but after reading this How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine I don't know what to think.

Went for a slow right hand on a very crowned road, hit something small I couldn't see(wet leaf, oil, small puddle, etc.)slid just enough to hit the painted line, slid more on that, hit the crown in the road where it slopes away... Guess I shouldn't have waited for my buddy to bring over those sliders he was going to sell me.

Good luck man, hopefully you got right back on there. I fixed some stuff and went for a good 60 mile ride and I'm happy I did.

djbrower2 03-18-2012 09:43 AM

I dont trust any tire on wet roads. I know alot of them say they handle just as well on wet roads as dry but as stated earlier it only takes .2 seconds for things to go south. Best thing you can do is be carefull and get back up on the bull!!

Kuroshio 03-18-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by djbrower2 (Post 1141663)
I dont trust any tire on wet roads. I know alot of them say they handle just as well on wet roads as dry but as stated earlier it only takes .2 seconds for things to go south. Best thing you can do is be carefull and get back up on the bull!!

I get nervous on wet roads. That's when I had my first low side. But it's an irrational fear so long as I ride sensibly. My new bike has a mode specifically for wet: Rain mode. It chops the engine horsepower all the way down to a mere 150hp (:icon_razz:) and traction control kicks in sooner, especially while leaning. But fact is these bikes can handle the wet just fine so long as the rider keeps cool and sensible

vfrman 03-19-2012 04:27 AM

You have to be very smooth on all your riding inputs when riding in the rain... smooth braking, smooth throttle, smooth turning.

Pngo12 03-19-2012 01:37 PM

Man you've only been riding for a few days and you went out in the rain and with shorts? I am terrified of riding in the rain, I've had some longtime riders tell me how slippery it is and I won't even dare go there.

djbrower2 03-19-2012 10:20 PM

you gotta do what you have to do. If you get stuck out in the rain which is bound to happen you cant be afraid to ride. just gotta watch your lean angle and acceleration.