CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   first ride (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/first-ride-121383/)

scorpionvmu 02-18-2011 06:30 PM

first ride

i picked up my bike today after work, it was about two hours ago so it was getting cold but i just had to ride her home. i will never forget this day.

i dropped her twice on the lights, forgot to put my leg out. J/K lmao

i just got back from the road, i will wash her tomorrow since its dark now. it suppose to be a nice sunny day tomorrow but cold (not freezing). should i ride tomorrow. all the roads are dry and clear of crap, no more snow here in Cleveland.

if theres any reason i shouldn't ride please let me know. i dont ride interstates yet and i dont want to untill it will get nicer. it will be 25 - 35 mph zones.

will have some pics tomorrow.

:icon_bike:

jp_greenville13 02-18-2011 06:41 PM

I advise against it if you're a new rider. Tires don't heat up and stick right when it's cold.

scorpionvmu 02-18-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13 (Post 1016396)
I advise against it if you're a new rider. Tires don't heat up and stick right when it's cold.

ive noticed today when the bike fished tailed on the wet surface. i rode a 125 dirt bike for 2 years. i take turns about 5 mph or slower. im not trying to do anything crazy. just cruzing around, enjoying the bike.

it was very windy today, on the bridges it was pushing me from side to side but the bike handled very well.
im trying to take it slow. not one of those guys who will ride 80mph down side street.
thx for the input, always looking for advise.

jp_greenville13 02-18-2011 06:57 PM

No problem man. If you've got safety in mind and don't mind the cold then go for it!

Kuroshio 02-18-2011 07:47 PM

+1 on tires taking more time to warm up. Speaking of which, how old are the tires? Older tires will take even longer.

Streets may be clear of snow but are they clear of salt / sand residue from the white crap defense the streets throw out?

Winter is Pothole / Trench / Crater Spawning Season. I know the routes I can take to work from driving and know which ones would mean a bent rim if I didn't know beforehand about the 1' wide 5" deep trench the water dept left after a water main repair. Nevermind all the "cold patches" the city applied during the winter to the growing potholes which are now breaking

CTcbr929 02-18-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu (Post 1016398)
ive noticed today when the bike fished tailed on the wet surface. i rode a 125 dirt bike for 2 years. i take turns about 5 mph or slower. im not trying to do anything crazy. just cruzing around, enjoying the bike.

it was very windy today, on the bridges it was pushing me from side to side but the bike handled very well.
im trying to take it slow. not one of those guys who will ride 80mph down side street.
thx for the input, always looking for advise.

Thats one of the advantages of having a heavy bike like the F3, very stable in wind

Yea check your COLD tire pressure tomorrow morning, and take it easy and you'll be all set. Remember Defensive driving.

Kuroshio 02-18-2011 08:28 PM

Moved to Street Skills.

G3NESYS 02-18-2011 08:29 PM

yea def be careful, i have an older set of tires on mine (which ill be changing as soon as they get here, after i order them tomorrow) but i noticed the lack of traction when i rode it from my house to my mom's where i'll be doing all the work on it. some of it was the sand the was left but i could also tell the tires were cold as well.

i do see that you have a bike in your sig, have you ridden before? or is that the bike you just got?

when i got my bike i didnt evn ride in on the street. i got mine in january tho, and didnt have my permit yet either, so i road it across the street to a highschool parking lot and practice shifting, stopping, then turning when coming from a dead stop, etc. i was nervous getting on the road with other cars, and def didnt get on an interstate until a few weeks or so of riding in town traffic

scorpionvmu 02-18-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by G3NESYS (Post 1016422)

i do see that you have a bike in your sig, have you ridden before? or is that the bike you just got?

this is my first street bike but i did ride my suzuki for about two years in all kinds of weather and terrain. and i do know where my limit is. i never try to push through my limit to far, on the dirt bike. but with this i dont want to push through at all. it would be a shame to drop this kind of machine.

scorpionvmu 02-19-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 1016412)
+1 on tires taking more time to warm up. Speaking of which, how old are the tires? Older tires will take even longer.

almost brand new tires. they were put on the bike at the end of the season.