Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

First "long" ride advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DammitMike

Some people work in music one way or another for longer trips. I personally stick my ipod headphones up into the cheekpads of my helmet. This way I get some music, but I can still hear things around me.

I was wondering about the music. Does anyone else do this??? O.o

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine. Give yourself plenty of time and take a few breaks along the way.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM

This is AWESOME guys! I really appreciate all the support to do it. Some folks have made it out as a HUGE chore that I should shy away from. Rides like this are a big reason I got the bike. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sounds like the big things are to take plenty of breaks and stay hydrated and well fed. I'm already religious about listening to my body so that helps. I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 5. It's never stopped me from doing anything in life, just taught me to be extra responsible when doing everything.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 93bb1
I was wondering about the music. Does anyone else do this??? O.o
My roommate bought some helmet headphones from helmetaudio.com a few years ago. They velcro into the ear pockets of any helmet. He likes them, but said they don't get very loud, which is probably good so that they don't block out all of the surrounding sounds from other vehicles (same reason I don't wear the ear buds in my ears when I ride).

NateDieselF4i also has some earbuds rigged up in the mouthguard area of his helmet, maybe he'll chime in and explain how he stuck them there.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM

thats a just a little ride lol, get some tunes in the helmet, get a nice piece of mattress or pillow to stuff under your jacket so you can tuck on the tank without have'n it hurt after awhile, a tank bag works for that too, kick your feet up on the passenger pegs so you'll be pretty much laid out on the bike with somethin nice and soft on your chest, im ridin to the north carolina tennessee border soon to hit up the dragons tail with a small group of guys, 700 miles 1 way gunna be fun.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM

I have to agree with everyone that has chimned in, in here. honestly 170 miles isn't so bad. you will be suprised how fast half that goes. and once you get about half way, I would stop and take a break like said. grab something small to eat and get something to drink (prefferably water) and take about a 15-20 minute break. You will be charged up and ready to go. I find myself riding with just my right hand a lot, which helps straighten up my back an gives me some relief in riding. IDK if that is a good Idea, but when I'm riding on the highway it definitely helps me. we all have faith in you! just be careful and be on the look out!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM

My roommate bought some helmet headphones from helmetaudio.com a few years ago. They velcro into the ear pockets of any helmet. He likes them, but said they don't get very loud, which is probably good so that they don't block out all of the surrounding sounds from other vehicles (same reason I don't wear the ear buds in my ears when I ride).

NateDieselF4i also has some earbuds rigged up in the mouthguard area of his helmet, maybe he'll chime in and explain how he stuck them there.
yeah i agree with not wanting them to be too loud.

Oh andfor the long ride thing, I hurt my lower back a long time ago. does this change anything for the long rides. Anyone esle here with back probs??? I was told to wear a back plate

Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM

yea a lower back brace will really help, i hurt mine when i was an appliance delivery guy a couple years back but therapy workouts and take'n care of it i recooped with no more issues but did use to wear my mover's back brace with the suspenders under my jacket def helped.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM

My Ghetto fab jerry rigged, Integrated Helmet Ipod system is cheap and effective. I'll snap some pics and post up what I did later tonight.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

170 miles one way is nothing really. Youll be good.

Quick Reply: First "long" ride advice...