CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   First "long" ride advice... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/first-long-ride-advice-126550/)

mtbr_mark 06-06-2011 10:26 AM

First "long" ride advice...

Hey there everyone. Hopefully I’m not posting this in the wrong section, but I was hoping to pick your brains for any advice that you might be willing to offer. I’ve been riding for a couple years (very limited amount though) and recently got an F2 and have put about 1000 miles on it so far. I’m LOVING this bike but would like to do some longer trips on it.

A friend of mine is graduating from the University of Portland this weekend. It’s about 170 straight up I5 from me and I was thinking about riding up there for it. Do you guys think that I’m biting off more than I can chew though? The longest ride that I’ve done so far has been about 50 miles straight. I was hoping to head up there Sunday morning and then come home in the afternoon. About 350 miles total. Any advice on things to do to make it a more enjoyable ride?

Kuroshio 06-06-2011 10:29 AM

Moved to Street Skills

mtbr_mark 06-06-2011 10:32 AM

I wondered if that's where I should have posted it. Thank you!

NateDieselF4i 06-06-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mtbr_mark (Post 1063856)
I wondered if that's where I should have posted it. Thank you!

You'd be better off posting a similar type question up in the F2 section.

Those guy swill be able to give you bike specific answers and about 5 people a month look at the street riding skillzzz section.

DammitMike 06-06-2011 10:44 AM

It will definitely feel like a long trip since it will be 3x more than you have previously ridden in a single trip, especially if it's all highway. I would get on google maps and see if you can find any alternative routes that might cut out some of the highway. I find that riding for a long time on the highway with my body stuck in the same position and keeping a steady throttle seems to wear me out much faster than doing long distances through back roads. If you have to stick to the highway the whole time, hop off on an exit when you're feeling tired or cramped up so you can stop and stretch for minute or go grab some food. Even short breaks can get you pretty recharged for the rest of the trip.

Some people work in music one way or another for longer trips. I personally stick my ipod headphones up into the cheekpads of my helmet. This way I get some music, but I can still hear things around me.

It would have helped to have some longer trips under your belt, but you have to start somewhere so, I say go for it! It won't be a difficult trip, but you will definitely understand why some people choose to ride cruisers over sport bikes :icon_bike:

RoadiJeff 06-06-2011 11:14 AM

Last fall I rode 1,100 miles on my 1000RR in about 25 hours. If I do it again I'll be more ready next time. I've added a throttle lock control (ThrottleMeister) and a tank storage bag. The ThrottleMeister because my right wrist needed a break now and then. The tank bag would have been useful for resting my head on for several minutes and giving my neck a break. Plus, it has a clear map pocket so I can now navigate as I ride.

mtbr_mark 06-06-2011 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=DammitMike;1063868...find any alternative routes that might cut out some of the highway...If you have to stick to the highway the whole time, hop off on an exit when you're feeling tired or cramped up so you can stop and stretch for minute or go grab some food. Even short breaks can get you pretty recharged for the rest of the trip...Some people work in music...you have to start somewhere so, I say go for it!:icon_bike:[/QUOTE]

That's a great help. I'll search out other options. Thanks a ton for the input!

gotcbr 06-06-2011 12:03 PM

YES, you can do this. Just remember PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). That's the first step.

Naturally, you'll want to make sure your bike is in good condition. Perform all maintenance as necessary. Be sure to do a pre-ride inspection to make sure you're good to go.

Super-slabbing is never that fun...not for me anyway. On the I-5, you'll have even less fun. ;-) On the plus side, you'll be able to cover a lot of miles going interstate speeds.

IF double bubble windscreens are available for your bike, I recommend getting one for this type of riding. Deflecting the wind up & away from your body will increase your endurance & comfort.

Plan to take frequent breaks. Allow yourself plenty of time in your schedule to allow for quality restful breaks, not just quick gas-n-go's. Good breaks are beneficial for your mind & body to remain centered on the task & focused on safety.

Keep well hydrated as well. A well hydrated body will keep your mind alert & body fresh. You'd be surprised how much you can dehydrate riding...it can be considerable.

Have a planned route & make others aware of the route you will take, w/ some general guideline of a schedule. If you have to deviate from that schedule, be sure to update your informed parties of the changes. This way, is something were to happen to you, there will be a base-line for searches & help.

Lastly, enjoy the ride! :)

SPR-GRN 06-06-2011 12:08 PM

I did a 330mile trip one way on my F4i last season, went from NY NY to Moultonborough NH, then had to do it again going the other way two days later; the only advice I can give you is to stop when your body tells you to stop, I had a tank bag and Tail bag on at the time. I stoped at 150miles (gas and pee break), then at 250miles (gas and pee break), then when I got to my destination, it was mostly highway. I do 120miles each way each weekend from NY NY to norhtern CT, so doing 240+/- miles a weekend isnt much to me at all, I really only need to stop to go pee or put on my rain gear. I ocassionally ride from NY, NY to Northern MA, thats about 220miles each way, again, only stop for gas and to go pee. These bikes are pretty easy on you if you do distance with them. I've done 120mile trips on a 1000rr, way less comfortable than the F4i, one of the reasons I got rid of it. Cruisers are definately better for distance, I did a butt-load of miles on a rented V-rod last season, and I could have done waaaay more.

To sum it up - these bikes (F4i and older) are fine for long distances, just stop when your body or gas tank tell you to. I don't think you will have any real trouble, your neck might be a little sore afterwards, or your heels might be a little tingly (happens to me after 100miles in my work boots, but not in sneakers).

have fun out there

Monkeh 06-06-2011 12:12 PM

170 miles is nothing mate, bike will just be warming up by then. I wouldnt worry to much about it. You can always pull over for a break, stretch and food, drink etc.