Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Downhill Twisties question

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't tried cornering down hill with the clutch in? But I can tell you on flat ground it doesn't feel very stable.

Steady throttle and accel just a little as you come out seems to be the best feeling I have found.
I have also gotten used to getting my knee out and body to the inside of the curve and it helped a ton uphill and down. You don't have to lean the bike as hard to make the same curve, your body weight kinda drags the bike through the turn.
Just make sure the road is clear of gravel and sand before you start running it hard.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM

And as you come out the other side, if you get on it too hard, and start to spin on acceleration, just know that that tire is gonna catch, just hold her loose and let her wriggle while you continue with the momentum. If you let off it would surely get ugly. Or so I was told. It hasn't happened to me yet.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Smiles w/ Bugs
And as you come out the other side, if you get on it too hard, and start to spin on acceleration, just know that that tire is gonna catch, just hold her loose and let her wriggle while you continue with the momentum. If you let off it would surely get ugly. Or so I was told. It hasn't happened to me yet.

You lost me... what??? O.o

Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93bb1
You lost me... what??? O.o
My apologies, I was guilty of "posting while drinking" LOL, my point was really about lowering your entry speed and then smoothly accelerating out of the corner just like you would with any corner, up hill or otherwise. Riding the clutch or freewheeling in neutral is a bad idea on or in any vehicle. It would be much better to be in a lower gear to let the motor work like a brake. If you were to get overzealous and crank to hard on the throttle while coming out of the corner your rear tire might brake loose and begin to spin. What happens next is hard to explain, but it works the same on a dirt-bike. Non the less, I'd rather come out of a corner fish-tailing then freewheeling. Also, I try to do most of my braking while the on the straights before the corner. I'm not a racer, and I don't know the lingo, but I've been riding for a long time and I'm alive. The faster I ride, the further I look down the road. I try so hard to ride like I'm sane, it's tough. But honestly, When I'm in the twisties, I'm not thinking about articulating to someone what my instincts are doing and I found that talking about it is far more scary then just doing it. I hope this was more clear, especially if you know exactly what I mean. :Cheers!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were to get overzealous and crank to hard on the throttle while coming out of the corner your rear tire might brake loose and begin to spin. What happens next is hard to explain, but it works the same on a dirt-bike.
Just a word to people who aren't used to this: Be very careful in this situation. This is also the beginning of a highside.

When the rear breaks loose in a turn, it will eventually regain traction (if you don't lowside first). When it does, the bike will immediately begin travelling in the direction of the rear tire. Your body, however will attempt to continue in the original direction of travel. Basically you'll experience a snap-like effect.

That snap is what throws riders from the bike if they're not prepared for it. Intentionally drifting the rear is an advanced technique, not really intended (nor should it be necessary) for street riding.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM

Exactly, thank you Kuroshio.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Just a word to people who aren't used to this: Be very careful in this situation. This is also the beginning of a highside.

When the rear breaks loose in a turn, it will eventually regain traction (if you don't lowside first). When it does, the bike will immediately begin travelling in the direction of the rear tire. Your body, however will attempt to continue in the original direction of travel. Basically you'll experience a snap-like effect.

That snap is what throws riders from the bike if they're not prepared for it. Intentionally drifting the rear is an advanced technique, not really intended (nor should it be necessary) for street riding.
So how exactly do i prepair for the snap. We went over this in the course but never realy went into detail

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Just don't let off in a panic, keep your intentions as they were and follow through. Bikes like to stay up right, just be a little loose and move with the bike. It sounds good don't it? Funny think about panicking, is that you tend to freeze up. I think being aware of what is about to happen is the best way to prepare. Anybody have anything to add?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Just don't let off in a panic, keep your intentions as they were and follow through. Bikes like to stay up right, just be a little loose and move with the bike. It sounds good don't it? Funny think about panicking, is that you tend to freeze up. I think being aware of what is about to happen is the best way to prepare. Anybody have anything to add?

Well thank you i guess its not too diff from cars. I have had a couple of close calls on the twisties and have actualy been able to break out of the fish tailing buy giving it a bit of gas(ff) and counterstreering.