Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Defensive Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
"Loud pipes saves lives"? I'm afraid that's false.

Most people tune out a motorcycle's pipes because it's a constant drone / whine. It's not an alert sound like a horn, suddenly appearing out of the background noise / radio / conversation. Pretty much the only people that really hear a motorcycle's can are pedestrians and other riders

Tell me the last time you were on the road in your car and hear an engine rev and wasnt aware of where it was at? It is definatly better to be heard than not be heard no matter how you look at it! More times than not the radio in a car isn't loud enough to drown out the soudn of a good can. Not only will other factors help you, like we are pointing out for this kid, but having a nice pipe will also help. I really can't remember the last time a nice sounding exhuaust on any type of vehicle didnt catch my attention and i like to jam out in whatever i drive.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05CBR600F4i
Tell me the last time you were on the road in your car and hear an engine rev and wasnt aware of where it was at? It is definatly better to be heard than not be heard no matter how you look at it! More times than not the radio in a car isn't loud enough to drown out the soudn of a good can. Not only will other factors help you, like we are pointing out for this kid, but having a nice pipe will also help. I really can't remember the last time a nice sounding exhuaust on any type of vehicle didnt catch my attention and i like to jam out in whatever i drive.
  • Exhausts project sound to the rear while the person you're trying to alert is to the front
  • exhaust sounds are heard but not processed as an alert sound since they are not one, like a horn
  • if you are at the point where you have to blip the throttle to grab someone's attention you've already gone past the point where situational awareness and safe riding practices would have prevented you entering
  • having to pull the clutch in to blip the throttle meane disengaging the drivetrain at a point when you may need it the most.

Loud pipes do not save lives. They stroke egos. Nothing wrong with that so long as its recognized instead of mistaken for a safety feature. And again, pissing off people in control of 5x your mass and weight doesn't exactly make them want to look out for you

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no evidence either way to support the idea that loud pipes are safer or not.

However, prolonged exposure to loud noise can cause fatigue and irritability, which is a safety issue.

My bike had a loud pipe, and it was annoying as hell
(even with earplugs), and you definitely did not want to be riding behind me. It's fixed and I could not be happier.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM

2 things I wanted to tell you guys about that I am looking into for my bike and wanted to see what you guys thought.

1. I was looking into getting rid of the stock exhaust and going with one of those moto gp shorty exhaust slip-ons. Good Idea, Bad Idea? Not only from a safety stand point or will this be too loud just to stand on a regular basis?

2. I'm also interested in putting leds and various lighting on my bike. Will this help with being seen as well as making other drivers aware of me.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by markyd17
2 things I wanted to tell you guys about that I am looking into for my bike and wanted to see what you guys thought.

1. I was looking into getting rid of the stock exhaust and going with one of those moto gp shorty exhaust slip-ons. Good Idea, Bad Idea? Not only from a safety stand point or will this be too loud just to stand on a regular basis?

2. I'm also interested in putting leds and various lighting on my bike. Will this help with being seen as well as making other drivers aware of me.
  1. Well my stance on a pipe should be obvious by now. I don't feel they do squat except annoy people. Whatever you do think however, whether they save lives or not, I think everyone will agree that skills and awareness are the first line of self-defense when riding
  2. My take on LEDs?
Name:  2010-05-23205034.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.7 KB

I've added another strip of lights in the engine vent windows. I'm extremely noticeable at night

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM

There might not be any stats to proove that loud pipes save lives. Its common since! Oakland PD even put louder pipes on their police bikes for safety. Believe what you want. Google that chit! Youll fing plenty of validity to loud pipes being safer. Anyone that says otherwise is probably just bein a crybaby cause they dont like the noise.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Whether it be lights or pipes. Its better to be heard and seen my friend. I know one thing from experience is that, i know where something is when its loud. Over time loud pipes might make you tired, sure. thats what caffeine is for! safe travels to all.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JRocket209
There might not be any stats to proove that loud pipes save lives. Its common since! Oakland PD even put louder pipes on their police bikes for safety. Believe what you want. Google that chit! Youll fing plenty of validity to loud pipes being safer. Anyone that says otherwise is probably just bein a crybaby cause they dont like the noise.
You'll find plenty of Harley riders trying to justify their pipes, yeah. Without them, their bikes would sound as weak as they are

Old 11-14-2021, 01:30 PM

Look where u want to go, and the bike will follow. This is HUGE. I was a rookie once. I was passing a car slowly one day, and he came into my lane. I almost wrecked because i chose to swerve away. This actually made me go towards him for a second ( to initiate a lean). I now brake, it's faster. I've wrecked many times, even lost a finger and ripped my ******* open. I call myself a pro, but friends say i wreck from no-talent. lol I chased my buds on an old 78' KZ650 for yrs untill i totalled. I now have my first sportbike, a 97 F3. Haven't rode in 10 yrs, and i feel like a rookie. My max corner speed is unknown. On a bike it's a visual thing. You read the corner, then adjust speed. <sip> ..is anyone reading this. Defensive riding is the key. Don't drink..weed is OK