Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Defensive Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to predict a driver's intent is dangerous because you tend to believe what you think they might do. And then if they do something wholly different, you're doubly shocked and possibly unprepared to deal with it.

Knowng what you can do on your bike and creating as many escape routes as possible through safe riding is a better tactic. Leave yourself enough lead time to brake, swerve or even do both within your skill limits. Stay out of people's blind spots (some being 359.95 degrees with the remaining .5 being their cellphone). Approach intersections cautiously when oncoming traffic can make turns. Maintain Situational Awareness, knowing who and what's around you.

If you know your capabilities, have practiced them enough, and know your escape routes many times you'll find that by the time your butt has puckered your body has already taken action and gotten you out of it.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Trying to predict a driver's intent is dangerous because you tend to believe what you think they might do. And then if they do something wholly different, you're doubly shocked and possibly unprepared to deal with it.

Knowng what you can do on your bike and creating as many escape routes as possible through safe riding is a better tactic. Leave yourself enough lead time to brake, swerve or even do both within your skill limits. Stay out of people's blind spots (some being 359.95 degrees with the remaining .5 being their cellphone). Approach intersections cautiously when oncoming traffic can make turns. Maintain Situational Awareness, knowing who and what's around you.

If you know your capabilities, have practiced them enough, and know your escape routes many times you'll find that by the time your butt has puckered your body has already taken action and gotten you out of it.

So you mean to tell me, if you are coming up on a cager that you notice glances into his side mirror, or is looking around trying to read streetsigns that you arent going to be prepaired to take action if he suddenly swerves into your lane or slams on his brakes to make a turn or anything else? And yes at this point you should make sure you have a clear out. Preventative riding Staying alert is not trying to predict what the driver may do. Its being prepaired.

Last edited by JRocket209; 02-26-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by JRocket209
So you mean to tell me, if you are coming up on a cager that you notice glances into his side mirror, or is looking around trying to read streetsigns that you arent going to be prepaired to take action if he suddenly swerves into your lane or slams on his brakes to make a turn or anything else? And yes at this point you should make sure you have a clear out. Preventative riding Staying alert is not trying to predict what the driver may do. Its being prepaired.
Looking at tires, trying to make eye contact... hell believing he's going to make a right turn because his turn signal is on can give you false leads. If you set yourself up to react on those false leads, you may find yourself out of position and out of options when it does come time to react.

If you ride with a large enough safety buffer, you will have enough time to react regardless of whatever the driver does. These bikes are nimble enough and reactive enough to get us out of almost everything provided we have the time and skills to utilize those traits. If we don't have the time or skill, then we're the one that ****ed up.

Every close call I've had has been because I was riding too closely to the edge of my safety margin. I still got out of them all with skill (and luck sometimes). But it was my fault for riding with a narrow safe cushion. And some of those close call the people pulled crap that was completely unpredictable. Who is watching the car in the far right lane 30' from an intersection predicting they'll cut across 2 lanes of traffic to make a sudden hard left turn? Or an oncoming car accelerating to make a hard left turn into a movie theater driveway without signals or even checking if the driveway was clear? Or an oncoming car making a left across traffic with the right of way coming to a screeching halt in your lane because he freaked out about how he'd barely clear the lane in time?

All have happened to me. And with maybe 5 mph more of speed, there'd been nothing I could have done except lessen the impact with my skills. Prediction is misleading. And some people are completely unpredictable. So don't waste the mental energy trying to predict drivers. That's my

Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 AM

Thank you allow for your input. The bike is in for paint right now will post pics when it comes back. I can hardly wait to ride the thing. It was really fun working on it, it was kinda of like watching my first born grow up. Lol. Although I'm excited to get on it I am a little nervous as well. Is that normal?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Also I wanted to ask does anyone know some places online I can get some gloves and a jacket cheap or at least reasonably priced?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 AM

my uncle, who has been riding for close to twenty years now, gave me this piece of advice. Motorcycle riders need to be heard and be seen! wear bright gear and buy a new can! being heard is a lot easier than being seen.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM

"Loud pipes saves lives"? I'm afraid that's false.

Most people tune out a motorcycle's pipes because it's a constant drone / whine. It's not an alert sound like a horn, suddenly appearing out of the background noise / radio / conversation. Pretty much the only people that really hear a motorcycle's can are pedestrians and other riders

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM

better to be heard than not heard!! Especually when splitting traffic. Its nice to burp the throttle a few times so cagers know your comin through. And i KNOW they heard loud pipes!! Its not like you have been following them so long that its become a constant noise to them. At least i hope not. Fack! They hear you and get out of the way!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
"Loud pipes saves lives"? I'm afraid that's false.
In your opinion.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JRocket209
better to be heard than not heard!! Especually when splitting traffic. Its nice to burp the throttle a few times so cagers know your comin through. And i KNOW they heard loud pipes!! Its not like you have been following them so long that its become a constant noise to them. At least i hope not. Fack! They hear you and get out of the way!
Relying on your pipe to grab someone's attention will lead to it grabbing their attention as it scrapes the undercarriage of their vehicle. The only thing that a loud pipe has proven to do is **** off neighbors and cops. What has been proven, over and over again, is that the reliance on ANYTHING except your skill and the mechanical condition of your bike will eventually lead to a bad situation.

Now my own personal perspective is this: If I'm pissing someone off with an aftermarket exhaust is it more or less likely to make them care about my well being?

Quick Reply: Defensive Riding