Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

California Permit at Night

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Permit at Night

Hey guys,

I'm getting my permit in a few days and I have a question about the whole not being able to ride at night thing. I'm 19, so I'm in that stupid period between 18 and 21 where you still have to wait 6 months to get your full license. All it says is that you are not allowed to ride at night, with a passenger or on the freeway. The night part really bugs me because I work usually just past sunset literally a mile or 2 from my house across town.

My question is what would happen if I got pulled over at night coming home from a late shift at work? I know there's a good chance the cop would be nice (they're pretty chill here apparently) and let me off with a warning since I'm going straight home but I don't want to take a big risk. Does anyone know what the actual penalty is for riding at night with a permit? I've heard they can suspend your permit for six months and impound your bike. But that's just what I've heard. Anyone?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk to your local police about getting a waiver to allow you to ride to and from work ONLY.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 AM

I did that. They said there were "no exceptions to the rules". Basically seemed like just a desk worker following bureaucratic crap. Which really sucks because in a fair world there would be some kind of waiver like that that exists.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM

+1 to Shadow's recommendation. Adding to that, I've heard of drivers/riders in your situation getting what's called a *hardship* license/waiver. Get yourself a lawyer, preferably a motorcycle oriented lawyer, that deals w/ this sort of thing. You'd much rather be legal than risk penalty.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Would you still need to wait if you took the MSF class?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 AM

Yes. You need to take the MSF course to even get your permit here. I've already done the course and it was a blast. I'll try and talk to some different people at the police department and see if I can get some kind of waiver. I doubt it but it's worth another try.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM

You need to talk to a motorcycle lawyer & the DMV, not the police.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shredgasm
The night part really bugs me because I work usually just past sunset literally a mile or 2 from my house across town.
Heck, just get out your bicycle and ride it to work if it's only 1-2 miles. I ride mine 23 miles each way.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Funny. I just became a legal rider. When I got pulled overit was a $50 fine

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM

19 yep thats when I Got legal. My dad used to say "hey get on the bike and go get us some ice cream" when i was 12. but anyway I got pulled over at night I explained to cop what was the cause and he let me go. The reason he pulled me over I ran a red light. He watched me sit at it for a long time and then when did not change I went and he pulled me over to teach me how to get the light change. nice guy, made sure I was one my way home and I soon got the real M1. that was 20+ years ago times have change I dont know I would risk it on a motorcycle now. But I do tell my "15 year hey go get us some ice cream". make him take the car though. oh yea I was carring a 6 pack I thought I was dead

Last edited by Randygus; 10-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: California Permit at Night