CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   California Permit at Night (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/california-permit-night-140857/)

shredgasm 08-04-2012 01:01 AM

California Permit at Night

Hey guys,

I'm getting my permit in a few days and I have a question about the whole not being able to ride at night thing. I'm 19, so I'm in that stupid period between 18 and 21 where you still have to wait 6 months to get your full license. All it says is that you are not allowed to ride at night, with a passenger or on the freeway. The night part really bugs me because I work usually just past sunset literally a mile or 2 from my house across town.

My question is what would happen if I got pulled over at night coming home from a late shift at work? I know there's a good chance the cop would be nice (they're pretty chill here apparently) and let me off with a warning since I'm going straight home but I don't want to take a big risk. Does anyone know what the actual penalty is for riding at night with a permit? I've heard they can suspend your permit for six months and impound your bike. But that's just what I've heard. Anyone?

Shadow 08-04-2012 01:56 AM

Talk to your local police about getting a waiver to allow you to ride to and from work ONLY.

shredgasm 08-04-2012 04:01 AM

I did that. They said there were "no exceptions to the rules". Basically seemed like just a desk worker following bureaucratic crap. Which really sucks because in a fair world there would be some kind of waiver like that that exists.

gotcbr 08-04-2012 01:33 PM

+1 to Shadow's recommendation. Adding to that, I've heard of drivers/riders in your situation getting what's called a *hardship* license/waiver. Get yourself a lawyer, preferably a motorcycle oriented lawyer, that deals w/ this sort of thing. You'd much rather be legal than risk penalty.

74demon 08-04-2012 03:10 PM

Would you still need to wait if you took the MSF class?

shredgasm 08-05-2012 01:13 AM

Yes. You need to take the MSF course to even get your permit here. I've already done the course and it was a blast. I'll try and talk to some different people at the police department and see if I can get some kind of waiver. I doubt it but it's worth another try.

gotcbr 08-05-2012 12:01 PM

You need to talk to a motorcycle lawyer & the DMV, not the police.

RoadiJeff 08-05-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by shredgasm (Post 1182249)
The night part really bugs me because I work usually just past sunset literally a mile or 2 from my house across town.

Heck, just get out your bicycle and ride it to work if it's only 1-2 miles. I ride mine 23 miles each way.

DeBurger 08-05-2012 08:36 PM

Funny. I just became a legal rider. When I got pulled overit was a $50 fine

Randygus 10-09-2012 09:40 PM

19 yep thats when I Got legal. My dad used to say "hey get on the bike and go get us some ice cream" when i was 12. but anyway I got pulled over at night I explained to cop what was the cause and he let me go. The reason he pulled me over I ran a red light. He watched me sit at it for a long time and then when did not change I went and he pulled me over to teach me how to get the light change. nice guy, made sure I was one my way home and I soon got the real M1. that was 20+ years ago times have change I dont know I would risk it on a motorcycle now. But I do tell my "15 year hey go get us some ice cream". make him take the car though. oh yea I was carring a 6 pack I thought I was dead