CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Fighters (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/)
-   -   Undermount exhaust (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/undermount-exhaust-133705/)

AcbrF4 01-19-2012 12:15 PM

Undermount exhaust

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and currently in the middle of my F4 streetfighter project and I had a couple questions.

I want to do an exhaust that runs under the engine and exits just before the rear tire, either side exit or aimed down.
I was wondering if it's possible to chop my factory headers down enough to fit a shorty muffler at the end of it or if I would need to custom fabricate the entire thing to make it fit.

Also was wondering if anyone knows of aftermarket headers for the F4 or if F4I headers will fit the F4.

Wondering what other people have done to get this look and wether or not I can chop what I have and make it work or if I'm going to have to go the full custom route.

Any info or advice would be great. Thanks

JankCibberf2 01-21-2012 03:43 PM

you could totally chop off the header! just find a way to mount it

Conrice 01-21-2012 05:22 PM

ya... it's done on a lot of streetfighters...

where the four pipes come together, guys weld a can on, and then there you have it.

i have another members exhaust on my bike. he cut the midpipe down and then welded two exhaust tips on there... and damn does it sound mean!

if your mind can come up with it, it can be done

AcbrF4 01-23-2012 10:15 AM

Well it looks like I better start cutting. :icon_biggrin:

I'll be sure to take some pics and show off the progress when I'm done.

colorado_steve 01-27-2012 09:52 AM

on my f3 i cut 2 inches out of the 4-2 and 2 inches out of the 2-1 in order to fit my can under the bike. had to weld on a new mounting tab. i have my exhaust dumping out the side because i was worried about the exhaust cooking my rear tire

AcbrF4 02-01-2012 01:09 PM

I'll have to see how short I can make my Micron slip on, then start chopping the header accordingly.

Anybody chop a micron before? I've heard they may be a little more difficult since they are bolted from the ends instead of riveted.

Any thoughts?

AcbrF4 02-06-2012 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I decided to chop the header and Micron can and this is what I found to be the easiest.

I started by cutting the tip off where it begins to angle for the side mount.
Then I cut the 2 into 1 piece so I would have a Y pipe.
Then I cut at the end of the 4-2 so the pipes leading to the engine would still all line up properly.
Then I welded the Y section and the tip to have a place to mount the shorty can.
I ended up heading the end of the can and bending it so it would exit the side just under the right rearset instead of facing directly at the rear tire, and this is the final look.