CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Fighters (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/)
-   -   Tips to starting (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/tips-starting-122472/)

pdcbrf2 03-15-2011 08:51 PM

Tips to starting

Hey guys I've always liked the street fighter look. A couple quick qoestions: 1. When looking for a start bike what should I look for (I would like bigger than a 600 as I already own a F2) 2. After finding a good start bike where is the best place to start the build? I have been looking for bikes in my area but dont know how much I should spend and really what I should be looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Conrice 03-17-2011 09:24 AM

you can fighter anything man.... just goes on preferences. get a bike you want to ride, and then tear it apart and get rid of anything you don't want on it, like the fairings, extra wiring, etc. then do to it whatever you think is going to look the way you want it to. for example, cut the subframe off and build a new one to put a more radical tail section on it, build your own headlight for it, shorten up the exhaust, etc.

there's no protocol for it

pdcbrf2 03-18-2011 09:46 AM

thanks for the reply thats what I kinda figured I just have to keep my eye out for a 900 or bigger bike that i want to do it to

Conrice 03-18-2011 03:09 PM

ya, i've always like the older blades....

how about looking for one that has kissed the pavement... get it for dirt cheap, and then you can afford to throw some money at tools, or parts to help build you a purpose built fighter out of it

cbrzilla10 03-19-2011 01:03 AM

I got my bike because it was 'fightered' but in reality it was a beat up stunt bike missing a bunch of parts. I didn't know anything about bikes when I bought it, but it was kind of a blessing because I know a ton now from working on it.

Starting a build is pretty simple. I just went on websites and looked through all the bike builds and learned what I liked. After a while you develop your own taste and therefore your own style. I found I really didn't like shorty exhausts, so I took it off and found that undertail exhausts were my favourite so I got a system. Half the fun to me is seeing how much you can make from things around the house. A lot of the mounts for things I made were created late at night with some leftover aluminum and tin snips!

pdcbrf2 03-19-2011 01:17 PM

yeah thats what I really want to do, but its hard to find a 900 like that where im at right now. I may end up do it to my F2 as a winter project if I cant find another bike to work on

Conrice 03-20-2011 12:49 PM

doesn't have to be a big bike to be a fighter... some of the best ones are the 650's and 500's i've seen.

i like making my own parts out of stuff around the house... but i love moving things around and modifying things on the bike.... like using the rear brake reservior as the front brake reservior, and using tygon 2075 tubing as my frear reservior. the ignition is on the side of my bike. my balance sensor is in the tail now as opposed to in the nose. most of my wiring harness is customized. i don't have a horn, i have a fan switch where the horn goes. i don't have an exhaust servo motor, i have a module that can actually eliminate the thing.

idk, i like the clean "hyper" fighters... but i also like "rat" fighters, it just depends... a cool bike is a cool bike. figure out what you want to do with your bike, and we'll help when you have questions, and be a second set of eyes when something seems like it wont work. just get in the garage and get ready to turn a wrench and bend some aluminum stock and be ready to get greasy.

pdcbrf2 03-20-2011 12:56 PM

yeah thats what it looks like i might be doing after the season, tearing into my F2. The only reason I wanted a bigger bike was because I'm a big guy and wanted some more go juice. I have already started trying to figure out where I want to mount things and taking a general account of everything. I dont think Im gonna go as crazy as some but I do love that "raw" look of fighters

pdcbrf2 03-22-2011 06:28 PM

so i decided to start picking up parts slowly throughout the riding season so when winter hits I can have a lot of stuff ready to start the transformation. I was wondering what you guys thought of Koso gauge clusters or if there are other good companies

Conrice 03-23-2011 10:04 AM

koso guages are pretty sweet. you just have to make sure you get one that has all of the information you want. some are made for race bikes and they don't have a speedo, but they'll have 2 temp guages. other guage clusters have only kph no mph. just make sure you get the one you want. and if you're going for an older 900rr or something, then you definitely need a smaller guage cluster like the koso.

the biggest thing is, if you're going to start collecting parts, you have to know exactly what direction you're going in. so what is it?