CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Fighters (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/)
-   -   Speedo Placement? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/speedo-placement-133087/)

PancakeShake 12-21-2011 08:56 AM

Speedo Placement?

Hey guys.

Looking to strip the bike naked, but im not a huge stunter, so I would really like to keep the speedo and the rpm gauge where they are.

I know when you take the fairings off the speedo cluster sticks off the bike. I was wondering if most fairing lights ( like the one hyperlinked below ) cover up the speedo cluster with the small wind shield mounted above the lights, or if you need to take the speedo off?

Thanks guys

streetfighter street fighter headlight stunt fairing mx | eBay

Conrice 12-21-2011 10:50 AM

it all depends. i orginally had a light that hid the gauges, but i had to modify the headlight - and i had to build all of the mounts for it myself out of aluminum stock (gauge bracket and headlight bracket).

the thing is, if you leave the gauges where they are right now, the headlight will stick WAY the hell out on the front end - and imo, it looks like shyt.

you'll have to wait til you get a front headlight/wind fairing and you'll have to play around with ways to get it to hide the gauges on your own.

do you ride much at night? those headlights suck at night fyi

gotcbr 12-21-2011 11:07 AM

You could always go w/ aftermarket gauge units. They are much smaller.

PancakeShake 12-21-2011 01:21 PM

I actually do ride quite a bit at night.

Are the bulbs like H4 bulbs? Can they be replaced with HID units? Or is it kinda ya get what you pay for and they are just crap?

Are the gauges easily moved around? Any other ideas for headlight / gauge / night riding success haha?

Lot of questions, sorry.

Conrice 12-21-2011 01:45 PM

hey man, asking questions is how you find stuff out the easy way as opposed to the hard way!

they are standard (incandescent) bulbs so no, they're not H4. they're a real pain in the ass to find in the US - i could only find them at scooter stores. no auto stores, nor motorcycle stores had them. i don't know what it'd be like in the UK though. there have been people that have replaced those bulbs with better ones (like H4)- but for some reason- they just don't do well. they make conversion kits, but most of the ones i saw cost somewhere around $80. and then, all you have is a cheap fairing that you've dumped 4x the amount of money into and it still doesn't light the road well.

i had one similar - everyone warned me, and it WAS terrible. then i melted some of the plastic on the inside of mine (but it was a tid bit different) and blew out bulbs constantly. as far as i'm concerned - the easiest way to get a great light at night is by using one from another bike that you like the design of. they are standard (incandescent) bulbs so no, they're not H4. they're a real pain in the ass to find in the US - i could only find them at scooter stores. no auto stores, nor motorcycle stores had them. i don't know what it'd be like in the UK though.

for instance, i used one from a harley (the v-rod light). it was great at night. other people use lights from certain motards and what not. some people have built theirs out of car headlights and they work well. it just depends

PancakeShake 12-21-2011 02:16 PM

What about one like this...

HEAD LIGHT UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE STUNT DIRT BIKE MX HEADLIGHT BLACK HALOGEN BULBS | eBay

could i buy that, mount it, then just put the stock H4 bulb in place of one of the junk bulbs in there?

Conrice 12-21-2011 03:18 PM

if you could get them to stay put inside the headlight - that would work. but they run MUCH hotter than the bulbs that come in that fairing and could melt it. it's really just the same thing as the other fairing you put up.

like you said earlier, you get what you pay for.

some guys on ebay have fit projectors and HID kits to them, and they work - but they cost a LOT more. and like i said.... unless you're in love with the design of that headlight - they're not really worth it.

PancakeShake 12-22-2011 04:21 PM

any links to some fighter / stunt style headlights that DONT suck hahaha?

mitchelll 12-31-2011 07:56 PM

try aztec8.com or wildhair.com stay away from the ebay mask they suck.the aztec8 wind screen will cover the gauges but you will have to move them i just took them off.

JankCibberf2 01-03-2012 04:30 PM

ya i have the cyclops headlight like pictured above and they blowwwwwww... its a 20w bulb like one of those track light bulbs and it lets you see 0% at night. I remember riding with a friend on some twisties at night and had to call it quits because i couldn't see once he pulled away from me. However, if you replace the 20w with a 50w from a hardware store like home depot, you can see like everything, ya it's kinda blinding a lil bit but screw it your on a motorcycle so people will see you coming and it hides your speedo,

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...02076698_n.jpg