Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Gauges/No Gauges?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Default Gauges/No Gauges?

I'm slowly rebuilding an F4 into a naked/streetfigther-esk bike. The issue I'm tossing around is gauges or no gauges. I'm leaning towards no gauges since I always liked the very clean look of older cafe racers (absolute minimalist). At the same time, what issues will I run into getting the bike through registration without gauges (specifically speedo)?

Anyone here have their bikes setup gaugeless? I'm going to run a bucket light (just a single round globe) with no windscreen so I won't have any place to hide the gauges.

Attached Thumbnails Gauges/No Gauges?-img_1059.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 AM

If you have to get your bike inspected to get it tagged again, then without gauge's you will never pass. Two main things are, its illegal in almost every state to not have a speedo, and also they have check mileage during inspection.

Another bad thing is you won't have a temp, oil pressure or any knowledge of whats going on with your motor why you are riding down the road.

I personally would not go without gauge's, it looks cool but in the end it's just to risky to your bike and your wallet if you get a ticket.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

so long as you're pretty mechanically inclined and you don't do anything crazy to your engine (you keep it stock), i'm pretty sure you'd be fine. if you do decide to run w/o gauges, i'd consider keeping the plug on the wiring harness and keeping your cluster so if something were to happen, you could hook it up and get the fi code.

there's always ways to keep the gauges and make it look really clean. if you're really handy, you could french them into the gas tank. you could also get a very small pod speedo that would look very clean as well.

but it's not just your speed. do you rely on your fuel light? even if you don't and you do it by mileage - you won't know for sure when you get to around 115 miles.

if you run without gauges, the likely hood of you getting pulled over for speeding and running out of gas will go through the roof.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

i have seen some guys use bicycle speedometers on their bikes. very small/minimal set up and will provide fairly accurate speed

Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice View Post
if you're really handy, you could french them into the gas tank.
That's a nifty idea (kind of like some Harleys have). I'm already modding my fuel tank (getting rid of the duct holes) so it wouldn't take much more to build/graft a gauge pod in. I'll certainly look into that, thanks!

The points you all have raised is exactly why I was (gut feeling) reluctant to go without gauges. I knew people did it (see countless choppers and cafe racers without gauges) but something still bothered me (couldn't put my finger on it though).

Some shots of how other people have done gauges on street fighters would be a big help!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM

id go with atleast a tach so you don't rev the **** outta it and you can still tune it

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

some of those were on cf, some i found searching google. some people have built fiberglass skins that hold the gauges that bolt onto the tank where it mounts to the frame. others have cut and welded directly into the gas tank. it just depends on which way you want to go with it

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Now that one looks SICK! (too bad it looks like it might be a clock lol )

Do you remember your search quote? I have been looking all over and never came across anything like that.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM

i know it's a motogadget gauge with an indicator lamp. i've seen it on streetfightersinc.com it's not just a clock. it probably has that function though.

here's another one of same bike

even though its a bandit tank, you could easily do the same type of deal with an f4

Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM

i know it's a motogadget gauge with an indicator lamp. i've seen it on streetfightersinc.com it's not just a clock. it probably has that function though.

here's another one of same bike

even though its a bandit tank, you could easily do the same type of deal with an f4
That really is pretty dang cool. I googled that gauge and it is SMALL!!! I am seriously going to look into that. I could do all kinds of stuff with something that small. (too bad it is $350... dang.... a lot for such a little piece)

Last edited by segraves1; 02-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauges/No Gauges?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.