Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

F1 Cafe fighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Where/what is that headlight from? I`ve been dying to search something like that for my Cagiva Freccia Cafè racer-project but ended up with noot... That would look effing awesome in my project also. I`ve also planned to build the rear end somewhat similiar to yours, with the slight exeption that I`ll propably be doing mine off fiberglass. I planned my colour scheme to be something like pure white frame/rims and toothpaste-like blue tins...

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is aluminium flashing? rammed into a language barrier there...
is there anything you peticularly like about it other than it's a 7" light? you can get them all over the place. try ebay and if that doesn't work, try some street fighter sites.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should prolly browse the ebay... Haven`t ever even visited there. I`ve been trying to get it "locally", but there`s just none to be found. Bike modification is somewhat rare here due to a pretty strict law against it, so aftermarket parts, especially lights an other closely controlled parts are ridiculousely overpriced here. The project is anyways one of those neverending stories... Took me the first ten years to get it running, then I bought my F2, so I`m not in any kind of hurry to get it forward... I`m keeping my eyes open for parts etc. so when the time is right, I`ll kick this project into gear. Nobody would pay me enough for it to have any reason to sell it, so i`ll just hang onto it until the time is right. If no other reason pops up, I`ll propably give it to my son/daughter should I ever have one...

Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 PM

hey, i'm all for doing what you're doing man. and when i posted, i didn't know you were in finland. there are a TON of german streetfighter companies and other various euro companies that sell streetfighter parts - as far as 7in. headlights go. i'm sure you'll find some on ebay or other streetfighter sites. and the fin's are known for modifying sportbikes as well, so i'm sure one is within reach!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlight is off a 1977 Honda CB 750. I just pulled it off a parts bike and cleaned it up. You can find a new 7 inch headlight pretty easy on Ebay or a motorcycle parts website. I put this one on just so I could get a sense of how it would look. I will probably replace it at some point because the chrome ring has some pitting. This one looks like it is pretty high quality:
7"INCH BLACK AND CHROME HALOGEN QUADOPTIC HEAD LIGHT | eBay

Aluminum flashing is a product used in roofing and other construction applications. Essentially it is just thin aluminum sheeting. It is thicker than aluminum foil but thin enough you can bend it with just your hands. I used the aluminum as my base to put the fiberglass on because it had some structure and would hold its shape.
Alumax Aluminum Flashing 14" x 50' Econ | eBay

This was the first time I have ever worked with fiberglass so it has been a learning experience. At first I tried to fiberglass right over the cardboard mock up of the tail. That didn't work that well so I remade it out of aluminum and riveted it together. I have been adding layers of fiberglass and now body filler to get the shape just right but now it is getting pretty heavy from all the layers. At some point I plan on taking the tail to my friends and having a mold made so we can recast it. They are like wizards with fiberglass and mold making:
LifeFormations :: Museum Figures Dioramas Animatronics and Attractions Interactive Media Props and Scenery Dark Rides

Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions Conrice. You are making me think through a lot of the details that I never considered. I probably won't try to change the forks or swing arm just yet. I think my riding skills would have to improve to actually be able to notice the difference in handling between the current stuff and modern upgrades. It is going to take me a while to get used to the performance upgrades on the Hurricane relative to the 55 year old design I'm currently riding:

Old 10-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

^^ *drool* ^^

When I get rich I`m gonna get me one of those too... Is that genuinely old or one of those retro- copies they make somewhere in asia? I once almost bought one of those remake `65 models with five speeds and electric start but couldn`t scrape up enough green... They cost somewhere around 5000-6000 euros here.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Looks good, that rear tail light cracks me up.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by davideokills

o damn! that's a gorgeous ride david. i love the tail light. that is so 50's.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 PM

It is a 2001 Indian made version of the original 1955 Bullet 500.
Royal Enfield Bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The light is off a 59 Cadillac. I fabricated the passenger seat and light mount this summer which eventually lead to this Honda project. You can find some used Enfields here for pretty cheap now I'm not sure how common they would be in Finland though I like the bike but you definitely won't be trading in your F2 for it. Mine has a top speed of ~75mph. Your F2 can probably do that in first gear.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM

I`m not gonna trade. I`ll propably swap my f2 for an approx. `00 fireblade after next summer and get the bullet separately. My dream bike would prolly be something like a 750 Dunstall-norton or something like that. Last time I checked there was three of those registered here. Cost `round the same as a Lotus elise... Which would be nice too... Just bumped into one the other day in a used cars sales ad mag. `08 Black/orange with a toyota 1.8 vvti for 34000.

Last edited by Mattson; 10-03-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: F1 Cafe fighter