Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
if you dont update this thread with more pictures soon, i will find you and hurt you.
alright, well like i said. i completely broke my bike down. this is just so i can get everything mocked up so i can build the subframe, put on another tail, a new front end is going to be going on, and a lot of stuff with the motor is also going to be done.

here she is at this moment
Name:  IMG_6174.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6172.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6173.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  122.8 KB

i'm going to be building a subframe for it from scratch. i've got these 3 mounts to build it from on both sides.
Name:  IMG_6176.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6175.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  105.3 KB

if i make it out of steel, it'll be heavier, but i can have it come right up close underneath the seat and won't need much of a support arm for it - which is what i want to do i think. however, i couldn't believe how friggin' light the stock subframe was for it, so i may make it out of aluminum, suck it up and deal with having a support arm that sticks out like a sore thumb.

and here's the motor i'm going to eventually be putting into it.

Name:  IMG_6182.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  129.4 KB

it's not much to look at right now, but in a few months, its going to be the ride of my dreams

Last edited by Conrice; 10-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now found this build.... any updates?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by exodus191
Now found this build.... any updates?
uhhh not really. i've just kinda decided some stuff. i've been really busy at work, i went out of town, and fought a cold for the past few weeks, so i haven't had anytime to do anything except think about it.

so instead of building my own subframe from scratch (like i originally planned), i'll be heavily modifying the orig. 954 subframe instead. i'm making it a solo-seater (the wife has her own bike anyways) - so the good thing is - is that it'll be aluminum - hella light (compared to steel). as well, i've decided on the tail i want to do - i'm going to be doing a current era 1000rr tail. and i found a real bitchin' one on ebay that is all carbon fiber to keep with the lightweight theme.

like this

i wanted to do a ktm rc8 tail - or a s1000rr tail - but they're too expensive... and right now, i just don't have enough skill to pull off my own tail. but i'll be doing a similar set up to the taylor made undertail kit for it - except without the hump. i want it to kind of look something like this

i'll start workin on it soon, i've got the subframe ready to go, need to buy the tail, and then i'll get crackin on it.

til then...

Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That will be a nice lookin' tail.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
and yes, sandals are the perfect shoes for working in the garage
I'm sure this was light hearted but ironically, I just happen to be sitting here reading this thread with 4 stitches in my foot.
Yesterday while 'tinkering' in the garage a drill with 1/4" drill bit tipped off the bench, hitting the trigger on the way,
and literally drilled a hole thru my foot and into my sandal as it hit. Never even saw it fall while I was focussed elsewhere.
So of course I feel the need to find fault with that statement.

Nice build BTW.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, gotta say +1 to zaq, I've been down the solid, heavy object meets bed-room slippers route, myself. It's a slight variation on the sandels routine, but not enough
to count. All I'm gonna say is, "Ouch!". ;-)

Ern

Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM

yup, and you know what else sucks.... walking around in the garage barefoot and getting slivers of aluminum stock stuck in your heels!

yes, it was light hearted.... i try to wear at least shoes when i do my own stuff in my garage. that day i clearly wasn't. i know it's probably not the safest.... but in SW florida, its the only thing i can do to beat the heat.

sorry you had something dropped on your toe... that does suck. hopefully it recovers fully and quickly for you.

Tail got here... i did go with a tekarbon one. i'll get a pic of it when i get more pics of the repsol tmr for the ROTM contest.

btw, it looks amazing.

throttle bodies from an 09 cbr100rr w/ airbox are also on the way. (bigger is better right? - 42mm TB 954 vs 46mm TB for 08-11 1000rr)

and just to be on the safe side, i'm also using a 1000rr throttle tube and kill switch.

but from here, i'm kind of stuck. i'd "like" to use a 1000rr wiring harness so that i could really have control of the dual injector set up - but i'm seeing some issues come up. cam position sensor and crank position sensor. i feel confident that i could figure out a way to make the cam sensor work - but the crank sensor looks completely different.

we'll see. 'til next time (and i promise i'll have pics)

Last edited by Conrice; 12-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Great tail

That SSS... drool

Nice work, I will be borrowing ideas...

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Yea I'm with you there on both accounts. CFL and a pretty full machine shop at home with a vert mill, metal lathe and benchtop CNC among others. Plenty of chips and weather specific attire.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
Yea I'm with you there on both accounts. CFL and a pretty full machine shop at home with a vert mill, metal lathe and benchtop CNC among others. Plenty of chips and weather specific attire.
damn, i didn't see the o-town in your info. that's great, my wife's brothers live in orlando and we go there quite frequently. and you have a shop... you lucky. i'd love to get my hands on a lathe (my wheel spacer still needs to have 9mm taken out of it) and a CNC.... i'm seriously jealous. if i had more money, i'd definitely invest in some serious equipment but i'm lacking in the bank accounts.

and hey, since you're in orlando, have you ever heard of precision cycle inc.? have you ever dealt with them. they're the closest to me that will do motorcycle sleeving, but i've never heard of them. i'm wondering if they're good.

look at that tail.... she's purtty.
Name:  IMG_6347.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6349.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  106.2 KB

i cannot believe the difference in size between the 954 tail and that. the subframe is going to need a LOT of modifying. but it'll be fun. i'm goin out of town for 5 days, so i probably won't really get started until after the first of the year.

Quick Reply: Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread