CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Fighters (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/)
-   -   03 F4i build (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/03-f4i-build-142569/)

Thad 10-11-2012 09:59 PM

03 F4i build

5 Attachment(s)
Several years ago, I met this banging hot chick. Just over a year ago, I got the chance to date her and found out she's more crazy than hot. After that, I bought a bike and realized I'd rather have that between my legs than me between a crazy bitch's legs any day, regardless of how hot. Three bikes later comes this one, a 2003 CBR 600 F4I. It belonged to a friend of mine I met back in my BK days and was a stunt bike. Of course it had no title. I worked out a price with him, looked on ebay for a titled frame, worked out a price with him outside of ebay, and picked both up this past Saturday. I decided to convert it back to a 2 seater bike, so I looked for necessary parts. The lever for the back brake was broken. The exhaust was dented. The paint was eh. But I got it all cheap enough that I was willing to work with it. I bought some parts off a bike that had burnt up from a redneck fuel pump job. The header I bought had a little bit of burnt wire on it. The foot pegs had a lot. But with degreaser and green pads, they cleaned up nicely. The new frame is gunmetal gray. The tank, wheels, and tail piece will all be blue. My brother does vinyl work so I'm gonna have him do something on the tank. Not sure what exactly yet, but this is going to be a Batman themed street fighter bike. The guy I bought it from said there was no telling how many times it had been down lol. But there will be no signs of it once its done. I hope to have everything swapped to the new frame Saturday aside from what will be painted. Anyway, on to the pics.

Thad 10-11-2012 10:03 PM

Also, what do you guys do for a speedo and tach? I bought one off a guy and didn't realize it was busted. The gas tank he sold me also had a dent in it. Whatever.

Conrice 10-12-2012 01:15 PM

right on, well, are you looking to go to a stock gauge - ebay.

but there's tons of aftermarket ones that are generally cheaper and smaller (like a trailtech). you can just make a mount out of aluminum stock from ace or true value. most of the wiring is straightforward - speed sensor is a magnet on the front wheel, rpm is measure off of ignition, etc.)

so am i right in seeing that it has a dual rear caliper (all i see is a reservoir on the clutch side)

looks fun.

Thad 10-14-2012 10:29 PM

I've got the factory mount for the gauge cluster. I just don't know what I'll do yet. I plan to go ahead and gear it while its apart, new tires and all that stuff. Its definitely more work than I expected, but for the short amount of time we've put into it, we've gotten a LONG way. We've gotten far enough that funds are holding me back now haha

Conrice 10-15-2012 05:31 PM

i hear ya, that's where i'm always at it seems! but, don't worry man, you'll get there.

Thad 11-05-2012 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well a little update. I got my back wheel painted and a tire on it. New vortex front (-1) and rear (stock) sprockets. I got the header put back on and went to mount the radiator but its missing the bottom mounting bracket for that. Are the RR brackets the same? I need one! Also, the tank had a hairline crack in it. I had that welded up, the tank sand blasted, and its in primer now. I haven't had time to sand it and spray it. The last 3 big expenses will be a chain, headlight(s), and a slip on. I had a delkevic on my gsxr for a bit and planned to go back with it. But I'm not sure at the moment. They're cheap, look great, and sound wicked. The only downside is how loud they are even under normal riding. I plan to go with an after market tach, water temp, and oil pressure guage set up. Is there a wiring diagram anywhere that tells what wires to splice into to get these to work correctly? I think I'll be going with a single cruiser headlight also. Those should be the only wiring issues I have, and I don't want to cross any vital wires. Aaaand a few pics :D

fireallyourgunsatonce 11-14-2012 03:19 PM

Will be watching this build! Looks like you have a good start

edwardzx7 11-15-2012 03:16 PM

Coming along pretty good! I like the back wheel! I just airbrushed the joker on my brothers zx6r.When i get my storage card full I'll post some pics of it.

Thad 11-27-2012 01:02 PM

Well I had some issues with my gas tank. That and cash has been the biggest hold up. The tank had a crack in it, so I got another one. Turns out this bike has a different tank on it??? I looked on ebay and all the tanks were like the one that I bought, so one would assume its the stock tank. Its too short though! WTF?! So I cleaned up the one that was cracked, had it welded up, sandblasted, a dent fixed, and primed. I painted it and had runs on each side. Sanded down, sprayed, then a fly landed on it. Sanded down again, sprayed, and one tiny run. Fourth time was a charm. I went to put the tank back on and am lost on something. Its been a while since I took the bike apart and can't remember. There's the sending line off the pump, a return line, then a small tit coming off the tank. Is this the vent? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've searched google and can't find what I'm looking for. This SHOULD be the last thing I need to do before I fire it up on the new frame for the first time. Then its wiring the blinkers and all that bs. Also, I need opinions. I was going to use a dual 4 inch headlight set up, but found a single 7 inch for about 60 bucks cheaper. I'm not sure which to use?? I think both would look good. But I'm also trying to get the bike done quicker obviously. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm itching to ride before the winter really hits. Believe it or not, it does get nasty every now and then down here in Bama haha. Will have up to date pics once the tank is back on also!

Thad 11-27-2012 01:07 PM

Also, I need the bottom mount for the radiator. From what I can tell, it mounts to the block near the oil filter, then the radiator mounts to that. Are these the same as the RR bikes?