Stickies A collection of threads deemed important enough to have their own section. Moderator approval is required.

How To: Replace your Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APOTA FRONTMAN
I think i may have a cam tensioner problem. ??? I here a rattle like noise on the right side of my engine (96 F3) , but when i engage the clutch it goes away. Can it be that the cam tensioner spring is worn ?
From what i can tell, I believe your hearing your clutch chattering. Mine does the same thing if i haven't started her in a while, then i just pull the clutch open and close a few times and the noise is gone.

Does yours still make noise after running a while and using the clutch?

Edit: My fault, didn't notice this is from last June, but anyway.

Last edited by 4ws.ba4 F3; 04-17-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: oops, bout a year late on this one.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Hi just got new one off these but got no key make one now to take my old one out
and when i put the new one in bike do i just pull small tool out

Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM

done it today very easy to do
my home made key worked great
thank fot post

Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Question stock cct adjustment

Hi guys, a newbie question for you regarding the stock cct.

I don't want to take it off so...I'm planning on making the little tool then turning the tensioner clockwise draw it back and then removing the tool to let it spring out to take up the slack on the cam chain.

But also, just wanted to ask if like on an F4 the tensioner can be screwed anti-clockwise to take up the slack and make snug or, if it's best just to rotate clockwise and let it spring out on its own? I've read of others possibly spoiling the cct trying to turn it anti-clockwise.

My bike's done 50k miles so trying to tension it might not make a great deal of difference anyway.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks alot guys

Roger

Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Is it possible and safe to use a F3 CCT on F4i? the manual ones are the same for both the engines? I have brand new F3 CCT with me and my F4i CCT has offlate started giving up. Guys pls let me know if it would be safe to do so?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

They are different part numbers. And the F4i actually has 3 different tensioners. For as inexpensive as they are, just sell your old one and buy a new one, the correct one.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is a video of how to on a 2000 cbr 600 f4

This is a pretty cheap one from eBay, works perfectly though.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Default Question on CCT

Is the CCT auto one supposed to move back?

I adjusted the auto cct with a small screwdriver and I held it, when I rev the engine, it feels and does screw back a bit??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks..

Paul

Old 04-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The Automatic CCT will automatically extend longer when there is any slack in the cam chain. If you use a small screwdriver to retract it a little, you will probably get noise from the cam chain. When you release it, it will unwind again and put tension ofn the chain again.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:04 PM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
The Automatic CCT will automatically extend longer when there is any slack in the cam chain. If you use a small screwdriver to retract it a little, you will probably get noise from the cam chain. When you release it, it will unwind again and put tension ofn the chain again.
I think he's asking if it retracts on it's own, i.e. is it able to self adjust tighter AND looser... I think... maybe...

I would think not since you have to manually retract it and the cam chain isn't ever going to get tighter, only looser as the miles pile up, so there really isn't a need for the tensioner to ever "loosen", right?

Quick Reply: How To: Replace your Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner