Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Track crash video/lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track crash video/lesson learned

I am posting a couple of track videos here that may pass on a useful lesson. I ride my F4i and a Yamaha FZ1 on the track. The crash video involves the Fz1 at Shenandoah in West Virginia last weekend. A left lowside due to a tuck; overbraking. I have a bruised foot and hand and a slight abrasion on my left wrist. Uncomfortable, but not big deal.

It could have been avoided with better gloves. I was using Alpinestars SP2s, which, as you can see from the photo, opened up at the seam. There are several reasons for this. For one, even though armored, they are too light and not triple stitched on that seam. Second, even though in perfect condition, they are three years old and the material had just deteriorated.

The mistake I made here is to not know more about and pay more attention to glove design. I didn't know what I didn't know. But I know now...

YouTube - ‪LawnCare.mp4‬‏

YouTube - ‪BriansLapFinal.mp4‬‏

Attached Thumbnails Track crash video/lesson learned-seamfailure.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like you needed to brake less and lean more from the video. Glad to hear your ok though.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Yea appears to me you needed to brake less and lean more... That off could easily have been avoided but we all gotta learn somehow Glad to hear your ok. Its time for me to get new gloves as well, i wore a hole in my thumb somehow... Cheap Frank Thomas crap lol

Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Looks like you needed to brake less and lean more from the video. Glad to hear your ok though.
Yes. Overbraking caused the tuck.

Problem is, I was so far off the line and it was so downhill that it looked like riding off a cliff...

All of this is easy to see from the video, not that easy in the moment.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Move to sights and sounds

Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Sorry to hear about the crash. That second video is awesome. Looks like a great track.

I really gotta do a track day soon

Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Sorry to hear about the crash. That second video is awesome. Looks like a great track.

I really gotta do a track day soon
It is a great track, but hopeless to learn in a single day. The lines are all over the place on this thing for the first part of the day.

I'll be going back in October, I think.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:40 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

glad to see that you are ok...

it is a nice looking track. a lot of nice turns.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 PM

I spent some time working the corners as a flag person and I always admire a guy for just being out there, no matter what else. You figure you need to transport your stuff and pay your money and then spend half the day walking the line between, 'hey, this isnt so hard' and, 'hey! I almost lost it there!!' ..so good for you dude, you bravely went where not that many dare to go. And you now have the grass stains on your leathers to prove it.

I am not one for giving advice though. After a crash its basically pointless, and before a crash there is enough going on without trying to heed the brilliant advice of others. In a way thats what I like best about track days: you soon discover that its just YOU out there and you dont have time to ponder or recall sentences of riding wisdom in your head ..you outgrow needing to think about words. Too slow! You just become part of the riding fast process and its wild. I have crashed a few times on track. So instead of riding advice I will tell you this: nobody does track days forever and ever. Take what you want to take from doing them and then its cool to back away.

BTW: nice vids, and nice way to keep your sense of humor.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM

good riding , you learned from you mistake so your a better rider now. track looks fun

Quick Reply: Track crash video/lesson learned