Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

testing GoPro 2... 3rd attemot

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default testing GoPro 2... 3rd attemot

Since my first test got aborted by low battery, I took it to work today. The 2nd test was the ride in. But all I got were 2 pics (note to self: make sure camera is in video mode before hitting shutter button).

So this is the third try. I cut out the other 29 minutes of boring commute home traffic (at 7:30 am, the ride is much faster).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PquVhDIY8pc

2 weird things I note in the video: the engine sounds horrendous and when I start on the throttle, the video goes wavy. I'm thinking it's the camera location, mounted on my left frame slider. So the engine is loud and I'm getting heat distortion?

And yeah yeah, I kinda almost didn't see the cop

Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Sunny day in Philly......nice video...looks like of heat wave causing waviness, but other than that..great shooting...

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Since my first test got aborted by low battery, I took it to work today. The 2nd test was the ride in. But all I got were 2 pics (note to self: make sure camera is in video mode before hitting shutter button).

So this is the third try. I cut out the other 29 minutes of boring commute home traffic (at 7:30 am, the ride is much faster).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PquVhDIY8pc

2 weird things I note in the video: the engine sounds horrendous and when I start on the throttle, the video goes wavy. I'm thinking it's the camera location, mounted on my left frame slider. So the engine is loud and I'm getting heat distortion?

And yeah yeah, I kinda almost didn't see the cop

Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM

What problems were you having with wmm? I loaded the video straight from the camera with no problem.

Won't be my preferred method since wmm only outputs in .wmv but that's minor

Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't think that is heat waves you're seeing. When you get on the Gas you'd think that would lessen, and it actually gets worse (around the 25-30 point).

I highly doubt the engine puts out that much heat.... and if it does goodluck on any 85+ day.

I'd try it not mounted to the Slider, which bolts right into the engine mount after all - probably getting lots of vibration.

Oh and passing on the right? I would expect better out of you Kuro. Tisk tisk.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM

I didnt pass on the right. I changed lanes into the RH lane.

Reason why I wondered about heat distortion is the slider goes through the left engine vent. Which is the real one on the s1k, not the one with the gills. The left side heats up significantly more than the right. Enough that the frame on the left gets very uncomfortable some times

But if its vibration, then I'll have to change locations. But I don't want to mount the 3m mounts on any body work. And not keen on using the suction mount on the tank, giving ppl a lovely view of the speedo

Some guys have mounted theirs in the ram duct on the nose

Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I still got vibration mounting on windscreen with suction cup. If you have clear windscreen, you can mount it on triple tree

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think if we mount anywhere but the TANK AREA....video will not feel like if viewer is the rider.....I'll try mounting on the helmet next time out...

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I still got vibration mounting on windscreen with suction cup. If you have clear windscreen, you can mount it on triple tree

Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Yes thats heat distortion (the waves) and as for the engine sound, are you using the solid back plate or the slit plate? They say to use the solid at 100+mph and water usage for better sound, and if water isnt an issue to use the one with 2 hole slits w/e u wanna call them on the back for better sound. Ive tested both and it does make a sound difference.

Helmet mounts work nice, and give a nice view.