Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Rear Vision Video Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Vision Video Mirrors?

I'd like a corner display in my visor that is linked to a rear mounted camera....but thats just wishful thinking...that is unless i mount a mini projector from my helmet!

(just a joke)

but really, anyone done a rear camera mount that functions as a mirror-and not just for recording sake?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

It is possible and some cars have it or you can buy it for some cars. Which makes it possible for motorcycles. But for motorcycles there is a usability issue.

But I still would do it just to see how it functions just because it serves as a reason to develop greater ideas!

Check this mirror out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4DI2J4O1-k

There more advanced stuff that you can look into. I would imagine using holographic glasses for helmet visors.

Check those out: Video1 / Video2

Now, some may say it won't work because it will cause accidents etc. But on the other hand, imagine the integration of those holographics with real life environment where it will point you things in your visor. It tells you to slow down to prevent an accident by going through some calculations. Or giving you directions to a destination. That way you could follow the directions on the visor without having to look anywhere else. Endless possibilities, I can write a book on that. And I don't even get into neuroscience.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Oh and also check this out, if this answers your question: cerevellum.com

Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't understand what you are posting the stuff about holograms on there for.. I was watching something on tv last night about cars and there actually is a car that uses a giant screen instead of a windshield. It will highlight signs and markings on the roads. Reads the speeds of vehicles around you if you want. You can reposition the mirrors to be anywhere on the screen and you can also use infared instead of regular video to see through fog and rain. I think if I put anything into the mirror I would put an interface for recording video while riding or gps.. but I might just stick with the gps on a phone for simplicity.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: thisismyacct

I don't understand what you are posting the stuff about holograms on there for.. I was watching something on tv last night about cars and there actually is a car that uses a giant screen instead of a windshield. It will highlight signs and markings on the roads. Reads the speeds of vehicles around you if you want. You can reposition the mirrors to be anywhere on the screen and you can also use infared instead of regular video to see through fog and rain. I think if I put anything into the mirror I would put an interface for recording video while riding or gps.. but I might just stick with the gps on a phone for simplicity.
because I think it is the future. Those giant screen digital windshield is just a small step. Imagine holographical images as that video screen in the glass. What if the video screen dies? Well actually there is lots of questions on adaptation of new technologies thats why some ideas fail and some survive.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Holograms are not video though.. I don't know how they could even make that technology into video except with extremely small filaments (invisible to the naked eye) and stacked pixels. Maybe clear displays would help.. but HUD's do exist already so you can project things onto the face of a helmet such as the speed, gear, a shift indicator light, and a tach if you wanted. To go farther than that and you would need a see-through monitor that did not need a projector to display the image. We already have this technology but it would make a very thick, heavy faceshield and it would probably sacrifice some of the strength of it. The idea of a HUD does intrigue me.. but I honestly don't need any of that stuff in the first place. I'm a very good judge of speed and I honestly don't really care anyways. The shift indicator and tach wouldn't do me a whole lot of good either as once you get used to a machine (I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about) you can play it all by ear and feel. I never completely trust mirrors (or backup cameras if I had them) so I'd probably turn my head anyways if I had those kind of capabilities in my mirrors or faceshield.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM

yes, huds are exist but what I was trying to explain is a little different and a lot more intelligent system where it can run certain logic patterns and make logical decissions. It is more like, machines responding human emotions and reactions by reading nerve, muscle patterns etc. Very hard to explain and I don't really know how to keep it short... I am not sure if I would use it or not but it is just fun to think about it.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear view helmets: http://www.reevu.com/

Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

F**cking dumb project.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

F**cking dumb project.
lol it's nice to have an opinion isn't it!

Quick Reply: Rear Vision Video Mirrors?