Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Powdercoating fun :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating fun :)

So, story is, I crashed my friend's cbr600rr...
His thread and pics are here:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=188639

I paid for all parts and paint. However, part of getting it all back together, I offered to buy a powdercoating gun, and powdercoat what parts I could. His bike turned out with more custom work, and it helped me save money too, so win win?

Engine casing, and swingarm powdercoated flat black:
Name:  photo-8.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  87.5 KB

We also did his pegs, etc etc, anything we could coat easily we did.

Then I did rearsets and pegs off my 2001 cbr 600 f4i

Then just messing around, we did the bumper on an old banshee that was kicking around the garage.

Then before you knew it, some guys were asking us to do random parts....here are some hanging after we sprayed some GOLD. waiting for cooldown and clearcoat after. (Parts from an R6)

Shortly after that, we got two sets of rims to powdercoat Gold with clearcoat.....OMG do they look sexy!

Bored at work, figured I'd make a post and show what fun we've been having with the powdercoating gun! We also did a set of ATV rims gloss black (no pics) and some other random bike parts for friends and people around town who have sought us out.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stuff looks dam good. Nice work. How much was the gun??

Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 AM

Gun and some powder ran us about 400ish.
Oven we got for free from someone throwing their working one out.
Random metal around garage to practice on = free
Electricity to run oven = not so free....especially around here. LOL But not too bad.

Last edited by bossboy; 09-16-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:37 AM

This pic was when we got the wheels back on the bike and I took it quickly with my iphone to send to the owner of the bike. He was thrilled

However, this picture does NOT do the rims or bike justice. It looks 50 times better in the sunlight!!!!
Also he came back to us a week or two later asking for his rearsets and rear pegs to be powdercoated black. I don't have a picture of those.

Next on his list is the exhaust.....overall it hasn't cost him too much, and his bike is starting to look more "one of a kind" as opposed to all the other R6's bombing around town.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM

hard long does it take to cure the powderin the oven??and do you just use a reg house oven or is it a special kind??

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Man read that other posting - glad to hear you're ok.

And your buddy's bike looks much better after than before. He's probably glad you downed it!

The powder coating looks real sharp too - you'll be powder coating anything and everything soon.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM

how does powdercoating work? spray it on and bake it in? ive had car wheels powdercoated before but never seen it done.

bikes look badass btw!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

that stuff looks good!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Hey bossboy.......wanna crash my bike next!?! haha, just kidding bro. Glad you're ok. Bike looks great too.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Know what sucks?
He just crashed the bike....didnt even have it for half the summer FML.
Some bitch on her cell phone pulled out of her driveway and hit him headon. so stupid. anyways insurance should be paying him off and giving him a nice settlement. however its all a pain in the ***.

In terms of how its done....I am thinking about doing it as a small business. not sure if its worth it to have ppl ship me parts but we will see. I'll see how it hits off with more locals first. So far so good tho.

And yes, a regular oven was used. anything to reach 450 degrees. Just don't cook food in it afterwards :P hahaha.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating fun :)