CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Sights 'N Sounds (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/)
-   -   Help needed from GoPro users (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/help-needed-gopro-users-144355/)

HotWheels 01-25-2013 08:26 AM

Help needed from GoPro users

Hello all and good day/evening to you. I just got a Go-pro Hero 3 silver edition. I want to use it every time I ride so that if anything ever happens to me via another motorist it is all on video in case something goes to court etc as well as random joyride videos. Video quality is amazing. :icon_wink:

This is where i'm having problems....:icon_emm: whenever I am riding even so much as taking off in first gear (not racing off) on my f4i everything appears to be going SOOOO much faster than it really is......taking off in first just cruising appears like i'm giving it full throttle or something and flying past cars at 80 or something on city streets. etc. I really hate this....not only do I not even want to show my fiancee the vids as she wants to see some, but I also would feel hesitant to show law enforcement if something happend because it totally looks like I am speeding wayyyyy over the speed limit which I am NOT. Am I just stuck with this or is there some setting to easily change? On the lcd screen it says 960-30 I believe under the video mode. I see other peoples vids on youtube and they look totally normal. =/ Thank you so much in advance for any and all of your help. :icon_razz: If it helps, I was trying to watch them on my laptop which appeared to be playing them fine otherwise.

That Guy in Maine 01-25-2013 09:14 AM

Are you in narrow, wide, or regular width?

Generally GoPros seem to SLOW down what's happening...but it shouldn't be an issue with police, they could if they wanted, or you pursued them to go out and measure between two points and take the time between them to get your average speed, or just point it so it picks up your speedo.

Try different recording widths first.

CJardine 01-25-2013 09:16 AM

Also play with the frame rate. I have a black edition and it likes to only record 10 seconds at a time. I have not idea why.

HotWheels 01-25-2013 03:24 PM

I seem to keep having the same problem =/ Before i was running on 960-30. Under this setting I was able to bump up the fps to 48. It appeared to make things whizz by even faster. I then went to 1080-24 and now the video seems to be a little bit nervous looking so to speak and thins are still whizzing by super fast. I'm not sure as to why when I have seen other peoples vlogs etc and it appears just fine....ehh....more than anything else, it is just bumming me out personally. I'm not rocketing down the street like it appears on my gopro and I really want it to reflect that. =/ Not sure what to do here. Ahh and by the way in response to That Guy In Maine, I have been running in wide angle.

That Guy in Maine 01-25-2013 03:31 PM

Okay, try running in the narrowist FOV, wide angle will distort your video and can cause this, you may notice hills look flatter as well.

The reason changing your FPS is changing what it looks like is quite simple. You're shooting twice as many frames in 48-1080 as you are in 1080-24. More FPS = smoother "less nervous" video.

Try setting the camera to something like 1080-30 in Narrow FOV and let me know how it goes.

Kuroshio 01-25-2013 04:26 PM

Honestly i wouldnt worry about it so long as you're not truly flying. No matter what it looks like, the Gopro can't distort Space / Time ;)

Meaning if the distance between 2 objects is known, your speed can be calculated precisely based on the amount of time it took you to cross the distance

Fryup2000 01-26-2013 01:23 PM

Isnt the hero 3 pretty new? I suspect you maybe comparing videos with ones taken on older versions of the gopro.

How about an upload and we can give you our thoughts?