Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

THE GREATEST TURN SIGNAL MOD....EVER I have video. I made this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE GREATEST TURN SIGNAL MOD....EVER I have video. I made this.

what laws of physics are you following???????

If you have a 1 Amp 2.4 V LED, it uses exactly 2.4 W of power by Power = voltage x current. So how did you come up with .850W???
But isn't it using 12v?

A resistor doesn't use power. Where are you getting this 3.5 number from????
My understanding is that a resistor lowers current by dissipating some power as heat. That's why resistors are rated to certain wattages. A 20 watt resistor can dissipate 20 watts of power in the form of heat. Any more, and it gets to hot and burns up.

LED calculator

Here's a calculator that I just found. It gives different answers than I had earlier, but I think that I may have included the resistor incorrectly in my previous post.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM

OR, you could just put 12V LEDs in there and not have to worry about anything. They will be just as bright depending on the LED you get. Then, you dont have to worry about any of the calculation/resistor hassle.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: HurricaneForce

what laws of physics are you following???????

If you have a 1 Amp 2.4 V LED, it uses exactly 2.4 W of power by Power = voltage x current. So how did you come up with .850W???
But isn't it using 12v?
If a circuit is well designed, you would isolate the LED with a network of resistors (and probably a current limiter) to create a voltage divider that would only put 2.4 V (or whatever the appropriate voltage is) thru the LED. So in a well-designed system, the 1A 2.4V LED would only consume 2.4W. If you just put the LED straight into a 12V system, then it would consume 12W of power (12V x 1A). Either way, its not 0.850W.

A resistor doesn't use power. Where are you getting this 3.5 number from????

My understanding is that a resistor lowers current by dissipating some power as heat. That's why resistors are rated to certain wattages. A 20 watt resistor can dissipate 20 watts of power in the form of heat. Any more, and it gets to hot and burns up.
Resistors do dissipate heat but not in the sense you are thinking. Resistors essentially absorb current. Hence, the name resistor as it serves as an "obstacle" against electrical current. They do such by the properties of the materials that used to make them. Since the current has nowhere to go, the energy is given off as heat. so this "dissapation" is a byproduct not a method of operation.

This is why resistors are rated to certain wattages. Because they have a max allowable current and max allowable voltage. As long as you do not exceed theses maximum values, the resistor will continue to offer the resistance that it is rated (e.g. 300 ohms). Once you exceed those, it will no longer give (in this example) 300 ohms of resistance (it may only be, say, 20 ohms). Exceed it for a longer period of time and the resistor will eventually fail.

LED calculator

Here's a calculator that I just found. It gives different answers than I had earlier, but I think that I may have included the resistor incorrectly in my previous post.
No offense, but this is a prime example of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Firstly, its a series resistor calculator. As mentioned earlier, you can't just put a, say, 2.4 V component in a 12V system. You have to create a resistor network. Putting one resistor in series isn't going to create that!!! Your resistor network needs to be a combination of resistors in both series and parallel.

Secondly, if you're going to use an LED, use a 12V. Then all you need is the proper resistor in parallel to account for the lower current draw of the LED.

If you don't have the electrical background, you should avoid stuff like this. If you truly want to get a better understanding of how this work, take an EE101 class. This stuff is covered within the first few weeks.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Secondly, if you're going to use an LED, use a 12V. Then all you need is the proper resistor in parallel to account for the lower current draw of the LED.

do you know where to get 12v 1 watt Leds? with a 130 degree dispersion? I don't. that would make life a whole lot easier. any help would be great.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: sanders1977

and what are these things you call "turn signals" for anyway?
[sm=sigh.gif]

Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 AM

That sounds like a pretty cool mod, wirewalker. I can't really tell the difference between the two since the left side isn't flashing against the wall, but the right side def. looks pretty bright, esp. at night. Are you gonna leave the quick blinking or will you resolve that with some other resistors? I have mixed feelings on the subject as I like the slow blinking because it looks like you've taken your time to do a thorough job, but I'm wondering if the quick flashing might grab more attention from other drivers/riders on the road.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: zerochickenstrips

That sounds like a pretty cool mod, wirewalker. I can't really tell the difference between the two since the left side isn't flashing against the wall, but the right side def. looks pretty bright, esp. at night. Are you gonna leave the quick blinking or will you resolve that with some other resistors? I have mixed feelings on the subject as I like the slow blinking because it looks like you've taken your time to do a thorough job, but I'm wondering if the quick flashing might grab more attention from other drivers/riders on the road.
I am at odds with that also. I first thought that I would fix the quick blink but am now thinking of leaving it for that reason. also we change lanes and turn faster than a car does so I could get 2 or 3 blinks in to the origional 1 blink.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 AM

So wait... how many LEDs are you using in Parallel/series to get it to work the way you want to at the brightness you want?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: superccs

So wait... how many LEDs are you using in Parallel/series to get it to work the way you want to at the brightness you want?
I the one that I have built I used two 1 Watt LED's. I got them from super bright leds dot com. I have a 20 Watt 18 (or something close) ohm resistor in series with it. I agree that a voltage divider circuit would probobly be more stable but I am not creating a time circuit so I think I'll be OK. this mod does not give you the running light option like the stock lights but I am woring on that. I will try to get some video in the daylight. that will make it very obviose just how much brighter the mod is over the origional design.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM

we made my rear pegs turn signals. . . its pretty hot! as soon as i can i will get the pics on here.

Quick Reply: THE GREATEST TURN SIGNAL MOD....EVER I have video. I made this.