CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Sights 'N Sounds (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/)
-   -   Fryup's Tour De Wales 13 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/fryups-tour-de-wales-13-a-149041/)

Fryup2000 09-08-2013 07:24 AM

Fryup's Tour De Wales 13

37 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I am on leave for two weeks with not much planned so decided to pack my bags and do a tour of Wales, UK for a few days by myself.

I have been riding for 9 months now (CBR being my first bike) and have never toured before so i decided to do something reasonably close to home.

Before I left I picked up a pair of Oxford Lifetime Luggage Pannier Bags from eBay and an assortment of camping gear including sleeping bag and roll mat and already had a tent from years ago.

I planned a 3 day tour covering mid and north Wales as I am reasonably familiar with the south. I am based near Bristol so actually getting to Wales is only a 30 minute drive.

I planned my route using a giant wall map, highlighting roads that had been recommended to me by friends and websites I found.

My route was as follows:
Day 1 - 180 Miles (5 Hours)
Bristol>Chepstow>Monmouth>Vowchurch>Kington>Llandr idod Wells>Newtown>Llanwyddyn>Y Bala

Day 2 - 242 Miles (7 Hours)
Y Bala>Llyn Cely>Betws-Y-Coed>Conwy>Bangor>Penmon>Benllech>Amlwch>Tregele>H olyhead>Beddgelert>Dolgellau>Machynlleth>Llanidloe s>Devils Bridge

Day 3> 173 Miles (5 Hours)
Devils Bridge>Tregaron>Lampeter>Llandovery>Brecon>Merthyr Tydfil>Abergavenny>Monmouth>Chepstow>Bristol

Planned total mileage - 595
Total actual mileage - 640 (getting lost and repeating nice roads :D)

To make things a little more interesting for myself I relied on my direction list (taped to my fuel tank) and didnt use any maps or GPS.

Before I set off I had a new front tyre fitted and the bike MoT'd (an annual mandatory road worthy check of the bike here in the UK) along with giving her a real good clean.

Now I am back I wish I had gone for longer. The roads in Wales are absolutely awesome... no wonder there are so many bike specific safety signs in all the towns and villages! I was reasonably lucky with the weather as you will see with minor rain up in anglesey but not enough to dampen my spirits!

Heres some pictures I took during the trip:

Tintern Abbey near Chepstow:
Attachment 31289

Lunchtime on the A483 between Llandridod Wells and Newtown:
Attachment 31290

My directions:
Attachment 31291

At one stage I was pretty lost so had to pull over and check my phone, where i pulled in just so happened to be next to a very picturesque bridge and river! (Turns out I was only two right hand turns away from where i wanted to be!):
Attachment 31292

Attachment 31293

Attachment 31294

Attachment 31295

Towards the end of day 1 I stopped off at Lake Vyrnwy to do the lakeside drive and look at the Dam:
Attachment 31296

Attachment 31297

Attachment 31298

Attachment 31299

Once finished at that lake I rode to Lake Bala where I was camping for the night, These pictures were taken on the B4391:
Attachment 31300

Attachment 31301

Attachment 31302

Camping at Pant Yr Onnen Lakesidecampsite (£9 for 1 night):
Attachment 31303

My walk to the pub in the nearby village:
Attachment 31304

Attachment 31305

Attachment 31306

The next morning. To the right of the picture you can see the mist that passed through and left my tent saoking wet!:
Attachment 31307

First stop of Day 2 was at Betws-Y-Coed to do a bit of souvenir shopping:
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps0a86904b.jpg

Attachment 31308

Attachment 31309

I wasnt planning on stopping at Conwy but didnt realise how impressive the Castle was, so I decided to stop for lunch:
Attachment 31310

Attachment 31311

Attachment 31312

Then I crossed onto the Isle of Anglesey via the Menai Bridge:
Attachment 31313

And headed out to Puffin Point to see the views:
Attachment 31314

I also decided to stop off at the Train Station with the longest name (just for the picture opportunity!):
Attachment 31315

Then rode out to Holyhead, past RAF Valley which meant I saw a fair few SeaKing Helos and Hawk trainer Jets flying very low and loud!:
Attachment 31316

After that I headed south down past Mt Snowdon and to Devils Bridge, This photo was taken on the A4120 (a very nice road!):
Attachment 31317

Then stopped off for the night at Devils Bridge... with a wet tent :( (Woodlands Caravan Park - £9.50 for one night):
Attachment 31318

I rode into Aberystwyth that night for dinner:
Attachment 31319

Attachment 31320

Attachment 31321

Woke up the next day to another lovely day!:
Attachment 31322

Rode over Devils Bridge (A bridge built on a bridge built on a bridge!):
Attachment 31323

Got stuck in some countryside traffic:
Attachment 31324

Then a final stop in Abergavenney before heading home along the M4!:
Attachment 31325

So the plan now is to do a few day trips to South Wales with the GF on the back then off to Scotland next year hopefully. And then maybe one day even Europe :D

CJardine 09-08-2013 12:03 PM

Wow, beautiful country! looks like fun!

Fryup2000 09-08-2013 01:12 PM

Hey CJ, was great fun! I've only scratched the surface on Wales... Highly recommend anyone in the UK to do it!

HenryM 09-08-2013 04:29 PM

Hey Fryup,
I'm still dribbling slightly after seeing your photos.
I know Wales very well. It's big, beautiful and has probably the best kept roads in the UK. It's a motorcyclists dream come true on a good day. You just have to go prepared for rain. If it doesn't piss down, it's a bonus.
I love you photo of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. The name means: [St.] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).
It's not every day you get to stop outside that mouthful, unless you're the station mater I suppose.

Wales! You just gotta go there.
Thanks for the narrative. I feel much better after that.
Glad you had a good time, even though it was inevitable.

Scotland I've done several times in the car and by train. It is my favourite place on the planet. I just need to take the bike there.

By the way, are your front indicators standard? You've got a lovely bike there.

Cheers
H

Sebastionbear1 09-08-2013 04:47 PM

Wow Fryup - thanks for that.

You did very, very well, superb planning, fantastic photos and a great writeup!

This however is the secret to motorcycle travel...........

"Planned total mileage - 595
Total actual mileage - 640 (getting lost and repeating nice roads :D)"

You had to start somewhere and it was a great start - and now you know you can plan longer trips comfortably.

Cheers, SB

Sprock 09-08-2013 09:58 PM

NIce write up and smashing photo's man :) - hmmm HolyHead - I kinda remember the
last time I was there but it was very foggy and so was I :D

Fryup2000 09-09-2013 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by HenryM (Post 1249729)
Hey Fryup,
I'm still dribbling slightly after seeing your photos.
I know Wales very well. It's big, beautiful and has probably the best kept roads in the UK. It's a motorcyclists dream come true on a good day. You just have to go prepared for rain. If it doesn't piss down, it's a bonus.
I love you photo of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. The name means: [St.] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).
It's not every day you get to stop outside that mouthful, unless you're the station mater I suppose.

Wales! You just gotta go there.
Thanks for the narrative. I feel much better after that.
Glad you had a good time, even though it was inevitable.

Scotland I've done several times in the car and by train. It is my favourite place on the planet. I just need to take the bike there.

By the way, are your front indicators standard? You've got a lovely bike there.

Cheers
H

Thanks! I guess I was kind of lucky with the weather. It got cold enough up in Anglesey for me to put a jumper on underneath my jacket but thankfully most of the rain stayed away. I could see the rain in the hills around me but managed to avoid most of it!

That train station has been the subject of many a discussion at work as a couple of guys can pronounce it so I had to go and get a picture!

Glad you like Scotland, I'm looking forward to it already!

Yeah the indicators are standard. The bike has given me a few problems recently... Had to replace the whole top end at the start of summer but she seems to be running pretty sweet at the moment!

Fryup2000 09-09-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear (Post 1249730)
Wow Fryup - thanks for that.

You did very, very well, superb planning, fantastic photos and a great writeup!

This however is the secret to motorcycle travel...........

"Planned total mileage - 595
Total actual mileage - 640 (getting lost and repeating nice roads :D)"

You had to start somewhere and it was a great start - and now you know you can plan longer trips comfortably.

Cheers, SB

Thanks Seb!

I guess you are right with the secret to motorbike travel! I found some great places which I never planned to visit!

I was always a bit paranoid about running out of petrol in the middle of nowhere but I would say there are garages at maximum 30 miles apart. So really I had no need to worry, just had to start looking to refuel when the trip counter hit about 120 miles.

I certainly would plan a longer trip next time but not longer days! By the end of the second day I think I was starting to get arm pump after 7 hours of gear changes and braking. Was happy to see the campsite that night! 180 - 200 miles seems about right for me on A class roads. Could do longer on motorways but that would be very dull!

Fryup2000 09-09-2013 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1249770)
NIce write up and smashing photo's man :) - hmmm HolyHead - I kinda remember the
last time I was there but it was very foggy and so was I :D

Thanks Sprock! Haha sounds like you had fun!

kiwi TK 09-09-2013 06:50 AM

Nice stuff Fryup, lovely roads and you obviously have a photographers eye. Hope you enjoy more wee random wanderings in the future.