Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Is the CBR600RR a city/commuter bike?? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is the CBR600RR a city/commuter bike?? (video)

Mine definitely is ..lol

Many of you probably think I live out in the mountains but I do ride in cities too ... I used spend a lot of time commuting in and out of Chester,
to the Countess of Chester hospital for my job ... for the city I have used a GPZ500 (the best) CBR600F2/F3 and took the RR through the other day.

I have to say with the RR being nice and narrow I can get through incredibly small gaps
I always filter to the front of traffic lights and never sit in traffic if possible ...

Now, whilst watching this video you may feel yourself wanting to breathe in a wee bit in parts ..lol

Last edited by Juliet; 10-14-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Jules! You had some tight squeezes there, eh? Some of those narrow streets reminds me of my home city of New Orleans.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Yes, I have always been good at squeezing through narrow gaps ..lol ... I spent a lot of
time in city traffic in the past and feel quite at home riding through them :-)

Jules

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jules you lane-splitting fool! I never would have guessed! You're quite adept.

And I almost forgot you were using the boob cam til I caught a glimpse of the zipper there...

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Not worth the risk.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Banned

Good lord Jules!!! You wouldn't have lasted until minute 2 over here in the states with that kind of riding. I'd have thought about taking you out myself...lol. Wow, attitudes towards motorcyclists really are different over there.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by eweppley
Wow, attitudes towards motorcyclists really are different over there.
You guys do seem to have me believe your drivers are very anti biker ...and, whilst in any country you have to watch for drivers not seeing you they generally don't try to kill us for no reason over here ..lol ... motorcycles filtering through traffic is an entirely legal and accepted practise here in the UK ... I don't know any experienced biker who doesn't filter to some degree ... many times I am filtering through traffic and the cars if they see you actively move over to give me more space ... I noticed lately cars have been a lot more biker friendly to me than I remember some years ago ..but, we have had massive safety campaigns here .. there are "Think Bike!!" notices and adverts around all the Welsh approach roads lately ... Queensferry can be very busy here in rush hour and you can have a mile long traffic que ..I simply filter down the middle at 15mph, eyes peeled ... so many cars move over to help me through even when there's no need, just out of politness, a simple gesture ... us motorcyclists wave at the ones who acknowledge us like this :-)

Jules

Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jules, I'm w/ ya on the splitting thing. I made a post this morning about a situtation my wife had yesterday while sitting at a red light. She split to the front of the pack to avoid being hit from behind by an inattentive cager. https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/keep-your-head-swivel-alert-102033/

I'm all for lane splitting/sharing if done in a reasonably safe & responsible manner. Thankfully, in the UK where you live (& elsewhere in Europe), attitudes towards motorcyclists are more respectful & mainstream. American cagers can be a fickle bunch w/ their attitudes toward us riders.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Yes, biking in the UK is relatively safe in my opinion ... the standard of driving here is high and car drivers seem to give us respect, of course there are always exceptions ... another reason I like to be first away from the lights is I end up riding into an empty road ahead versus sitting back in the traffic, the lights change then I am surrounded by a sea of lane changing cars ... filtering is simply the lesser of the two evils for me!! :-)

Thankfully city riding is a rarity for me these days ... I am usually out in the hills, alone........

Jules

Old 10-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juliet
You guys do seem to have me believe your drivers are very anti biker ...and, whilst in any country you have to watch for drivers not seeing you they generally don't try to kill us for no reason over here ..lol ... motorcycles filtering through traffic is an entirely legal and accepted practise here in the UK ... I don't know any experienced biker who doesn't filter to some degree ... many times I am filtering through traffic and the cars if they see you actively move over to give me more space ... I noticed lately cars have been a lot more biker friendly to me than I remember some years ago ..but, we have had massive safety campaigns here .. there are "Think Bike!!" notices and adverts around all the Welsh approach roads lately ... Queensferry can be very busy here in rush hour and you can have a mile long traffic que ..I simply filter down the middle at 15mph, eyes peeled ... so many cars move over to help me through even when there's no need, just out of politness, a simple gesture ... us motorcyclists wave at the ones who acknowledge us like this :-)

Jules
Well over here if you see a window rolling down, prepare to swerve... or duck.

Ok it's not quite that bad all the time. But I have had people quite intentionally pull up almost onto my rear fender, intentionally cut into my lane , intentionally turn inside / outside my turn and have watched them intentionally cut into a filterer's path (I don't filter, not enough confidence). It's obvious these actions are intentional when you see the driver lock eyes with you before they do something homicidal

Quick Reply: Is the CBR600RR a city/commuter bike?? (video)